Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 509 - Oct 20, 2009

Guess what Kevin and I did tonight? We played UNO! I tried this with him a while back, but he just couldn't comprehend what to do, but tonight - he creamed me! He definitely doesn't know his colors (even red, but he can say it), but he can copy what he is seeing for the most part (although he did miss some of the cards sometimes). I am making him say the colors while we are playing so hopefully he will at least get these four down pat soon.

He is also able to say "UNO" very clearly, but at times he says "Olah", lol. I also deliberately don't do things I am supposed to do, trying to get him to 'catch me'. Sometimes he sees it, sometimes he doesn't.

I have been actively trying to get him to do mind challenging games lately. He is now addicted to something on his Zune, which is kinda like a Tetris, but the clusters turn. I have no idea what it's called, but he sure is playing it a lot.

I really think these things are making a difference in his cognitive abilities. He has been able to pay attention a little bit better lately and his problem solving capabilities are increasing as well.

And guess what else? Moe is coming here to Texas on Friday for a week! It looks like we are going to be here for a bit yet and she was supposed to be coming to Florida, but we aren't going to be there so I guess there's no sense in that, lol. We just rerouted her and now she will be spending the week with us here.

It will be good for all of us as it will help us to get out there and do things. I had a talk with Kevin and he agreed to do a couple of 'fun' things (like the Tower of the Americas - I think that's what it's called - and the Riverwalk boat ride). Mostly he just wants to stay in his room so this really will be good for him.

And let me tell ya - he is SOOOO excited to see her! He has been talking about it for weeks, even when we all thought we'd be in Florida. I just wish we were home, but I guess it's just not meant to be...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie ~ Bravo and wow!! How exciting! To be able to sit with your Kevin and play a game that requires thinking skills! Can we shout out "Miracle"??

And I know the journey is ongoing, but when you are given a look into what the future can be, it is so validating for you! All of the rough times, the disappointments and the uncertainty fade away for just bit, as you are able to enjoy the mircale of modern medicine, yes, but the miracle of the human spirit. Yours, Kevin, Breezy's.

I know Moe will be bringing such a bonus to your lives.

Love, hugs and prayers. Always.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

Maybe you just need to push the fun things more in order to get Kevin out of his room.
I think part of his problem solving skill is going to be socializing. That's one of the biggest ones around for anyone and everyone.
The going to the band's concert shows that when he really wants to he can. It just a matter of getting him to do it.

Maybe instead of doing the drive thru get out and go in each and every time. I know that at times it would mean doing it when you would rather just go back home and rest but the social setting activity needs to be practice. Remember your dealing with what needs to be set in stone and to make entry you need that chisel and hammer to make a grove into it at times. The deeper that grove the better the chance of mainting the memory of it.

Brain exercising activities are fantastic. I'm 60 and use a variety of puzzle books to work on it.
The spinning game...if you look over his shoulder you may see a cluster of colored balls spining and a colored ball at the top of an arrow that you point to two or more of the balls that match the colored pointing ball and when it does it that's when you shoot the pointing colored ball and if it hits the right colors it knocks those balls off of the spinning cluster. Eye hand cordination.
The game maybe called "Bubble Spinner".
Not only is it time consuming but frustrating as H3LL. I know because I can spend hours playing it especially when the pressure of life makes relaxing and going to bed a problem.
Suggest you try it but be carefull it will become adicitive. [LOL, LOL]

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Miss Em said...

Leslie,

Getting old is such a pain.

I forgot to tell you where to find the "Bubble Spinner" game.
It's at DeadWhale.com
Have fun.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Great to hear that Moe is going down. Yes it is a shame you are not back in Fl for the visit, but I know you will have a great time no matter where it is at. That is the way it is with a great friend you can have fun anywhere. Suggestion but you may have it already is the Memory game with the cards that can be played with someone or Kevin can try to do himself. Take Care.
Love Ya, Lorraine & Rick

Tracey from Pgh. said...

Wonderful news! I never thought of playing games to have fun and learn at the same time. Moe coming for a visit will great for the both of you. :)

Anonymous said...

Leslie, you are such a good mom. SUCH A GOOD MOM! I'm thrilled that Kevin is playing UNO with you and that you are seeing breakthroughs! Fantastic. And so glad that you have Moe coming to see you guys. Something for Kevin to look forward to, and you too......I'm hoping he'll have more "breakthroughs" while she is there.
Love ya'all,
Anita

Jessica said...

Wow, that's really cool! Even better is that Kevin's cognitive abilities are improving. Great news!

I'm glad your friend is able to come to Texas instead and that Kevin is so excited about it. Hope you get to do lots of fun things!

I'll be thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers. Take care.