Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 505 - Oct 16, 2009

Well, we had the date wrong for the surprise - it's actually tomorrow afternoon and evening. I can only tell you this much - Kevin has been told what is going to happen tomorrow and he is simply ecstatic! It's actually going to be a two part day as we weren't sure he could handle the stimulation from the evening portion. To be honest though - it's the afternoon part that will be the most special as it's something very few people get to see. I'll bet it's killing ya, huh? LOL! I wish I could tell you, but I can't yet. I need to talk to the promoter about details first.

So today was a good day for all of us. Breezy took Kevin to therapy today and I went back to bed. They came home from the hospital to find me in bed so they took off and went to the mall for a while.

I got to sleep for a full 5 hours! It was just so wonderful as it was uninterrupted sleep. I rarely get that as Kevin doesn't sleep much and when he does, he wakes up constantly.

But anyway, I was told Kevin had another amazing therapy session with Pam and I am so happy to hear it.

We did increase his morning and night pain meds and I am happy to say that we didn't need any breakthrough meds at all today. I can only hope this controls it. I hate having him in pain.

So now I am going to just hit on the rest of the comments from the other night.

Patricia - I like the pen and paper idea to add to the timer situation.

To Anonymous that suggested an activity while waiting in a doc's office - it sounds like it would work, but we have already tried this. We do usually try to keep him busy for a bit, but sometimes he just can't handle even that part. It depends on how many people are waiting too and if it's just all around a busy place. This (like everything we do) depends on so many factors that are out of our control.

Amy Grace - I have often thought about moderating the comments too, but I just can't do it. I agree with Denver about freedom of speech being what Kevin has fought for. I also agree with you that it's the only way to eliminate this person or persons from instigating trouble, but to be honest - I really could care less about what they say. They are only here to hurt us, but they don't hold that power over me or the kids (Kevin because I don't tell him about it). As I said the other day, they don't have any bit of understanding of what our lives are like so they aren't posting with knowledge of any kind - they just like stirring trouble. I say ignore them. That's what I do because the posts aren't worth my attention.

To anonymous that commented about Amy Grace's suggestion - I don't think she was so worried about me seeing the comments as much as the comments being kept going back and forth. Amy was suggesting it to get rid of the people using this blog to stir trouble with the readers.

I do have to say though that I made it well known in my very first post on this blog that there will be times that I am swearing my head off. I would suggest that this blog be read previous to allowing children to read it. I do not swear often, but when I am boiling mad - it happens. Just my .02 as everyone has the right to raise their kids as they see fit, but it would concern me if small children were reading this on their own.

Tricia - I agree that it is necessary for me to have some 'Leslie' time too, but it so rarely happens. Kevin was starting to adjust to the aide that came to our home everyday and we were so close to me having some of that time, but then we came here. I told him the other day that Parshall called to ask about him and he didn't remember who that was. I am hoping when we get home and he sees her he will remember, but I'm afraid we might be back to square one on him adjusting to help.

To Evan and Kyle - I wish I could laugh with you guys on this, but it really isn't as simple once that logic is gone. I am glad it made you guys laugh though - Kevin would love that! Hope you do come down soon.

K in Canonsburg - thanks for the link. As soon as I know we are heading home I will order one. This was truly a combined great idea.

Sgt Social Worker - I am thinking it was the brain injury assoc of FL that I called and left a message with and never got a return call. I will look into it again when we get back home. Thanks for reminding me.

To MLG - we pretty much already do the time out, but I don't think he understands or he forgets too quickly. Not really sure. I have never said the word 'time' though so maybe I will try that.

Liz, SA - yep, his hair is long. It needs cut again, but I won't do it until that tube is out of his head. I am a little concerned though because it is starting to all fall out. Not sure what that's about yet...

And I guess I have written enough for tonight. Stay tuned for some amazing photos and what I hope to be a super post tomorrow night!

2 comments:

Holee said...

Maybe when it looks like a long wait in an office you could have someone call Kevin on his cell phone. It might distract him from the waiting.

Sometimes the stuff they give you to put you to sleep for surgery makes you hair fall out..not to worry, it comes back in.

Anonymous said...

Hi Les,

This is just way out there...but...

Has anyone ever thought of treating Kevin as an obsessive-compulsive patient, in addition to his other needs? I know that when the brain has an injury such as his, that this type of thing may happen. Not only do the patients feel comforted by repetitive behaviors, but it becomes expected on a daily basis.

It could explain his inability to understand waiting in a doctor's office, waiting in line for help, and just handling day-to-day activities, etc...

Just throwing something out there...

Think of you often...Take care...

Kristen M.