Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 492 - Oct 3, 2009

We had a decent day today. We are keeping Kevin medicated before the pain is breaking through instead of waiting for it and then making him suffer for 30 minutes until the pills start working.

So far, so good.

We did run to Wal-Mart today because Kevin told me he wanted to color (took a while for me to figure that one out). So we went and bought coloring books and crayons and the kids and I have been coloring for a couple of hours now. I was amazed because Kevin's book had those word searches and mazes and he zings though the mazes super fast and he is at least trying to do the word searches. He can do the straight across words, but he just can't find the diagonals or backwards. But still - he is trying and that's a great thing.

And before I forget - yes, Kevin is allowed to go anywhere he wants. We also had permission to go on the boat ride and do whatever we wanted last week. For the record, I don't take Kevin unless it's ok'd by the docs (in this type of situation anyway). Sometimes I'm not told that I can't do something and I do it not realizing, but mostly I ask. I think at this point y'all are just going to have to trust that since I am here (and he's my son) - I pretty much know what's best for Kevin. And I know that I may make mistakes, but that's inevitable. My plea would be that I just don't get called on the carpet for making those mistakes as I just can't be perfect - no matter how hard I try .

Which, by the way, brings me to another point. I, more than anybody, know that Kevin will react to how I feel in certain situations. Because I know this - he rarely sees what I am feeling - especially in times of extreme frustration. What y'all see is the place where I can come and vent about what I feel/felt. That's what this blog is really all about. So I come on here, let it all out, and that ends it. But somehow, some people assume that because I lay it all out here, I lay it all out for Kevin to see. That's just not how I work. And I have to admit to always being curious how people "know" I did something without being there?

Just my two cents. But I guess I am just asking that people maybe not jump to conclusions based on the small window that I give people the opportunity to look into our lives through. There is so much more that goes on in our lives that I am just not putting out there.

Oh - and I want to quickly admit that any and all advice is always heard. I do read every comment and I always appreciate the advice we do receive, I just think it would be nice if the advice could be given without accusation as it is sometimes. Know what I mean?

And on that note, I am going to end this post. Please don't anybody take this as me being angry or slamming anyone. I am not. It's just li'l ol' me asking for some slack in a really rotten situation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Very well put ! You and only you knows what is best for Kevin. We are all thankful that you share a sliver of your life with us. No one here has a right to judge your decisions. They should have to "try" to walk a mile in your shoes.
Glad Kevin had a better day, we are all here when you need to vent. The prayers continue around the world. Have a beautiful Sunday.Let's see if the Steelers can win tonight !

Anonymous said...

Very few could do what you are doing. You have held up well and we are honored to be your sounding board. You are very strong, Kevin has got what you are made of or he would not have come through so much and kept on fighting. He is a fighter and a strong fighter at that. People only try to help by suggesting to possibly have a situation not occur again and never judging you. Please everyone be forgiving. Any post- op care papers will tell you not to let the pain get ahead of you or else you are going to be in worse pain and agony. It sounds like that is what happened and that pain is harder to get under control. We can only hope they figure out for sure what is wrong soon. This is one made of steel young man. Most certainly prayers are coming in for him from all over the world and God hears them all. Happy Sunday. HE is your strength when you need it the most.

Unknown said...

That is great that Kevin had a wonderful day. The prayers are helping!! I think you are a wonderful and strong lady and I agree with the other posts I know that you would always do what is best for Kevin and you would never give up.
Sending prayers for another wonderful day!!!
debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Kevin's pain is under control now. It sounds like all of you had a fun day coloring!
Have a great Sunday!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

It is also good Kevin is showing an interest in something. Pain is a horrible thing to deal with so hopefully that is a good sign that things are getting better. Coloring is a fun and relaxing thing to do. Kids love it when we color with them. That was such a positive thing to read. Blessings and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey, once again I will say that you are my hero and I cant for the life on me understand people. Walk a Mile in her shoes what a laugh honey, people with so much to say do not have time to walk the walk, they just talk the talk. Love ya bunches , Pam

Jessica said...

Glad Kevin had a bit of a reprieve today with the pain. That's amazing that he can do any part of a word search considering he can't read! And the fact that he's showing interest in doing something like that is great. I think coloring is good therapy, too. (At least that's my excuse for buying so many Copic markers!) lol!

I'll keep praying for the antibiotics to work and for Kevin's pain to continue to ease. I'll be thinking of you all. Take care.