Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 503 - Oct 14, 2009

Today was a better day. Kevin was in a better frame of mind and was even patient while waiting at the doctor's office for him to get out of surgery - and this was after driving around for a half hour trying to find a parking spot. We actually missed our therapy because we couldn't find anywhere to park, which is just not good.

And unfortunately, we still need to leave the drain in his head because he is still putting out the same amount of bloody fluid (about 30 ml a day). We are becoming used to it now and have figured out ways to 'rig' it with a safety pin so that it stays up near his neck and doesn't hang down painfully. We tape it to the back of his neck while he showers and it's really working - like things always do once you figure out how to get around the rough spots.

And now I am just going to touch on some of the comments today as there were some great ideas.

First - to the people that seem to despise the three of us - you don't bother me. See, I know the truth about what our lives are like - you don't. You ASSume you know, but you honestly show your ignorance by posting things that are not true.

This is also true of and I also feel sorry for the person that turned this into a money issue. Someday, I hope you realize that life really isn't about money - it's about loving your family and friends and feeling bad for the horrible changes in life.

As to the person who offered me a tissue - thanks. I'll take that tissue! Some days are harder than others in dealing with the magnitude of our loss and on those days I would love to learn how best 'to deal with it' as you requested. Maybe next time - instead of being nasty - you can offer some good advice that might just help.

Lisa D in Cali - Kevin isn't really willing to negotiate very often. I don't know if he understands the concept or not, but for the most part he is just too set in his ways.

To mamaworecombatboots - I never once thought about this being like autism - especially Aspergers. I will definitely research this as it sounds like Kevin and your daughter have a lot of the same symptoms. Thanks! And best of luck to your daughter too!

Alison - Sometimes Kevin's short term memory works - sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes his long term works - sometimes it doesn't. He also can write only a few words. He doesn't know how to spell anything as he doesn't know his alphabet anymore (but he knows his numbers and can do math quite well). And your idea fell in with Long Time RN's so I am going to move onto hers.

Long Time RN - I like the idea of the timer. I don't know if he would understand though. Right now he has a watch that he looks at constantly (he can tell time) and like I said - one minute he looks at it and understands, but then the next he loses the brain function and he forgets. The timer is something I am going to try though. You just never know. Great idea!

To Janet - I know you called me yesterday, but I haven't had time to even listen to the voicemail yet. I hope Matt is feeling better after his surgery? Did they get the equipment necessary to exercise that arm/hand yet? Love ya!

Miss Em - (how are you recovering from the floods, btw?) - you expanded on Long Time RN's idea with the timers. It is definitely worth a try. You also mentioned having other therapists sit in with Pam until Kevin gets used to them. He has had others in the past and sometimes he is willing to deal with it, but mostly he is not. It's really Pam's fault as she is just so dang wonderful (right, Pam? LOL) Seriously tho - they just have such a bond and he looks forward to seeing her and gets upset when she's not there.

Ok - there are more, but I am trying to get sick and need to get to bed. I have been coughing for days and I feel so run down. I have a couple things to do first, but then I am down for the count.

12 comments:

Evan said...

Hey leslie,

Sorry I have not really been in touch much I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Not trying to be mean or anything but I laughed very hard, as did kyle, when I read the October 13th post. It just seemed that those little things were what kevin always was. I can remember stupid little things he would do, his mannerisms, and his actions. One time he could wait days for you to do something but the dumbest most menial thing you could wait 5 minutes for, he could not, he had to go right then and there. Now it seems its a little more simplistic but for him being my best friend I honestly can say that those little things like, the food at taco bell and the pills he has to take... That most likely would have been him now too, although he may have seen logic more easily. I would say just try and laugh at these things and think of things he did before his accident that relate to what he does, maybe it will help maybe it wont but that post just gave me a big insight into some very good times we had together, then again maybe you have already done that.

I do hope to come down and see him in the near future and Ill let you know what is going on and if I can make it down at any specific point but my life has just been a big jumble that I need to clear up.

See you soon tell kevin I said Hi,

Evan

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie--I have been reading your post ever since your story ran the the PG a couple years ago. My heart goes out to you and your family--I wish the IDIOTS out there would keep their thoughts to themselves!

About the timer, here is an timer that we (I have a background in special ed)use with kids with learning disabilities and ADHD. It is expensive, but visual--when the red is gone, the time is up. Hope this helps! Wish I could afford to send you one.

http://www.timetimer.com/products.php

K in Canonsburg

Anonymous said...

Hi Les
I just wanted you to know that we love and support all of you. I don't know why people seem to take pleasure in other's pain but it is apparent that they do so the only thing that I can say is that you just have to let the idiots and their comments go. Don't take them to heart. I don't know why things happen the way they do but I hope you know that we love and support you. Friday is homecoming at KC and we are going to collect donations for Kev. We havn't forgot about you guys. There are so many people out here that are praying for you. Keep strong. Lori Undercuffler

Clearbluewater3 said...

Hi Leslie, I'm sorry about all the haters people should walk a mile in both your shoes and kevin's combat boots before they start telling you to deal with it. So inappropriate.

Have you connected with the Brain Injury Association of FL? We just had someone from the Brain Injury Association of VA come talk to us in class last night and I immediately thought of you. They have a PALS program where they'll find a non injured similar aged/interest person to hang out with Kevin. The website is http://www.biaf.org/BIAF-Family-Community-Support.html

I hope this helps onces you get back to FL!

Anonymous said...

Sending LOVE your way...and hope that all them haters out there never have to walk a mile in your shoes...
You are a GREAT MOM...always remember that...I know you do the best you can with what you got!!!
To all the people that attack you I say:" THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE IN HELL FOR YOU!"
Love and hugs from El Paso, TX
Tina Dwyer

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you had a better day! :) Sorry that you missed therapy though.
I hope today is better yet!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Kris said...

Wow it's amazing (in a train wreck sorta way) how ignorant and hateful some people can be. Heck I read Anonymous' comments (the nasty Anonymous of course) and got really pissed off, I cannot imagine how you feel reading that crap. And "crap" is the nicest thing I can come up with to describe their words. The Italian Salute to you, Anonymous person. Go play with your friends. Oh that's right, you don't have any.

As for you Leslie, all I can say is that you, Kevin and Breezy are in my thoughts and prayers every single day. I pray for your strength, peace and endurance - I can't imagine how much of those things you need each day. God bless you all. And yeah you betcha, you are ALL my heroes.

- Kris

Jodi said...

"ASSume"...LOL...I love ya Les! Hang in there lady. You know there are MANY more people that love and support you then there are "haters" out here. The "haters" don't matter. They are small people, not worth your time.
Please take care of yourself. Sorry you don't feel good.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Denver said...

We could have the Taliban here censoring everything.
Kevin paid the price for ensuring that the anonymous idiot can come here and post his piffle. So the "Anonymous" accuser is really thanking Kevin for this freedom.

Frankly, I think Leslie deserves a million bucks.

The primary issue is to get get the best possible outcome for Kevin.

Detractors are not seeking Kevin's best interests.

Amanda said...

I can't speak for everyone that reads this Blog but I am extremely irritated with the anonymous person yesterday that left the rude and ignorant comments. I can not believe there are people out there that would read this Blog and then tell her to deal with it and then state that she refuses assistance from the VA. Have you ever gone through what she deals with on a regular basic?? Can you even relate to what her and her daughter go through everyday?? Until you have then you need to keep you mouth shut and keep your opinions to yourself. You may think that posting your comments on here only hurt and infuriate the one writing it, but you are wrong. I am friends with both Leslie and Breezy and I have been following her Blog since the day she started writing it and when you get on here and decide to post rude and hurtful comments you hurt and make everyone that care about her mad. So next time think before you post and if you do then be an Adult like you want Leslie and Breezy to be and post you name. Don't hide behind an anonymous post.

I love you Leslie and Breezy!
Stay strong and try not to let stupid people that suck at life get you down.

Amanda L.
Amanda L.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

The Flood Disaster is in the finial day of clean-outs.
If you ever need a great group of people to help dig you and those around you from a hurricane get the LCI Group LLC-Diaster Response Team. They sure taught me a lot and the job supervisor kept an eye on me making certain that I at least drank a lot of water. That Corporal of Marines certainly took care of not only me and his team members but many of the home owners too.

The drying equipment was hooked up to the last bldg about 4 hours ago. The SBA loan is being applied for as I write.

The home owners will begin to rebuild during the last part of October.

Now maybe I can sit down and eat a sandwich without falling asleep from exhaustion.

The best part about all of this is I weighed 252+ when it began and now I weigh 230.
My ankles are no longer twice their size and somewhere along the line my feet are no longer numb from walking more than I have in ages.
I guess for being 60 I did o-kay in keeping up with 20 to 40 year old hunks.

Oh and make sure if you have to wear rubber boots to have plenty of heavy duty socks. Your feet sweat like a running faucet. Then they look like you stayed in the bath tub to long and tend to hurt like H!LL as you walk on them.

Glad to hear that Kevin is feeling better and you found some tricks with the drain. Never doubted you for one moment.

Take care.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Miss Em said...

Well Leslie I guess I need a little more rest than I thought.

That second line should read---

If you ever need a great group of
people to help you and those around you to dig out from a hurricane get...