Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 507 - Oct 18, 2009

Yep, Anne - it was Kevin's favorite band - Atreyu! Sharrin, from Hollywood Records, called us the other day and was so excited because the band was going to be in San Antonio last night. When I said the stars were all lined up for this it was because she was going to wait until next week to call us as the band was going to be in Orlando next Friday and they were going to invite us out to see them. But, something compelled her to read the blog and catch up before calling and that's when she saw we were in SA! And even funnier - our hotel is right across a side street from where they were playing!

So yesterday afternoon Kevin, Breezy and I went to their sound check and that was the photo you saw last night. It was so cool to be part of something that so few rarely get to see and Kevin was ecstatic! After they were finished with sound check, they invited us all into their tour bus to visit for a while. How cool is that?!

Here are a few photos of the afternoon:

This one is Marc's amazement at how far Kevin has come since seeing us last December. He waited til Kevin turned around to show his shock. Love this photo!



Here we are with Brandon before sound check. We don't get many pics of the three of us so I wanted to throw this one in.



Kev and the band:



This is Kevin and Alex:



Kevin smiling, lol.



Kevin enjoying the music.



This is us going into their tour bus:



I have to tell you - these guys are so awesome.

So after sound check, we let them relax before the show and we went to dinner and then Kevin and I went back for the concert. I really didn't think Kevin was going to be able to handle it, but he wanted to go so we did. He did so well! We had the opportunity to stand right up front, but I know what these concerts are like so we stayed in the gated area that had the sound and lights board. This way no one could accidentally grab the tube in his head or even just hurt him in some other way. I'm such a mom, huh? LOL.

And here is a pic of Kevin and the guys 'posing' after the concert. We went to say goodbye and I just had to get a group photo!



But anyway, he did fantastic! I will say that this day just plain exhausted him though, but I would hazard a guess that Kevin felt it was worth it. I know I did because he was just grinning from ear to ear all day!

And unbelievably, we both slept 11 hours last night. We only got up twice for pills so it was a great night for sleep. I am thinking we should just become groupies so that Kevin sleeps better, lol. (although my ears could NEVER handle that! I so don't 'get' screamo music!)

And today we went to Target for some food and we came back to the hotel and sat outside all afternoon. Kevin played games on his Zune (thankfully it came back from downrange), Breezy played Farmville on her laptop and I read a book. And they have grills here to cook on so we BBQed and just stayed in all night.

A very nice, relaxing day!

12 comments:

Lisa D in Cali said...

I was sitting here with tears in my eyes and my husband asked why....now we both have tears in our eyes...and my big old former Marine husband has "goosebumps on his goosebumps". What a wonderful day...I don't know this band (I'm old) but I might have to become a fan just because of how wonderful they've been to you guys. Thank you so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing! I do not know of the band, like Lisa D, and although it is not what I would usually buy, I will now. I am just so happy for all of you, to be given such a day!

love, hugs and prayers. always.

Lorraine said...

What a wonderful day I know how I would of been to meet members of my favorite band when I was his age and it would of been pretty neat. Pretty awesome a big thank you to Atreyu for taking the time to make Kevins day one of a kind.
Lorraine & Rick

Jodi said...

That is AWESOME! I have tears of joy running down my face! I am so happy for Kevin. What a great treat and experience. And what a fantastic band! Thank you guys for what you have done. You have big hearts!

You got some great pics Les. Thank you for sharing them with us! Almost like we were there!

11 hours of sleep?!?! WOOHOO! :-)

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Kris said...

ROCK ON!!!! What an incredible day for you all. Soooo happy that the moon, stars and everything were lining up for you all! I'm sure that was some of the best therapy that Kev has had in a long time :)

God bless you all, hoping for a great week for you all.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

tricia said...

Sounds like an amazing day!! I am so happy for you guys getting the opportunity to just get away from it all for one day. It must have felt almost "normal". Looks like Kevin did REALLY well!

Anonymous said...

So happy for Kevin! :)
A.

Anne Van Atta said...

Wow, Leslie-what a great day for Kevin! Sometimes the stars do align and I'm crying happy tears too...

The pictures are wonderful, especially the one of Marc expressing his delighted amazement at Kevin's progress (I remember reading of Atreyu's visit to Kevin when I first discovered your blog;) and the photo of the band standing around Kevin who's the center of attention is great, too-you can tell by their body language and expressions what a privilege it was for them to have him there with them; I think Kevin gave them as much or more than what he received--I'm sure his presence was extra-inspirational for their show!

Their music isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but they are very talented and obviously great guys, so now I'm officially a fan.

I'm so glad you got some much needed sleep and relaxation; music is a wonderful healing power in all its many forms...

Anne

Cathy M said...

What a great day for you all! I have no idea who this band is (I am old enough to have watched Jimmy Hendrix play the guitar with his teeth at Winterland - and that's old), but, if they visit and write about our heros, they are The Best! I will check them out on YouTube.

Hugs to you three and Atreyu.

Anonymous said...

Are your children twins?

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a wonderful surprise! I am like the rest and have never heard of the band although my neice has. Did they play the new song at there concert and did they happen to mention Kevin and all our other heros? I can visually see him proudly walking for Marc and the rest of the band. Kudos to you Kevin. Michelle Long

Jessica said...

What a great group of guys! I'm so glad it all worked out for Kevin to hear them and get special treatment like getting to see inside their bus! He must have been really thrilled with the new song, too. It's so heartfelt (although I can't really imagine heartfelt translated into heavy metal, but obviously it can be done!)

I'll be praying for you all, and for Kevin's healing especially. Take care.