Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 1134 - Jul 8, 2011

I quit today. I found out that the caregiver folks were going to give me 25 hours a week pay originally, but changed their minds and dropped it down to 20 hours.

That's it. I'm done.

I called the doctor tonight and told her that that is the equivalent of paying me for 2.8 hours a day and the VA now needs to pay someone else to come into our home for the other 21.2 hours to supervise Kevin.

Frankly, I love my son and would put in the 153 hours I do (the full week minus the 15 hours that Johnnie's here) for the full 40 hours pay, but I don't feel it's right for the VA to take advantage of people that are doing their job like I am - and for next to nothing!

I know full well how much a facility costs and let me tell you - the full time pay is WAY less than putting Kevin in a facility.

I just don't know what else to do. I am just so fed up of being broke, of being tired, of being sick and of being disrespected.

Understand too that I don't expect to get rich taking care of my son, but I sure shouldn't have to worry about having money to get glasses that are so desperately needed and having the cash to go to the dentist which is also so desperately needed and to be able to get a break and go away once in a while - with or without Kevin. Let's not forget about food and shampoo and haircuts and all those other little goodies.

I am just done. I talked to Kevin about this tonight because he saw me crying the whole way home from the hospital and he was upset. I explained what's going on and he knows that I will not be his full time caregiver any longer.

Mary - can you make sure that someone is at our home on Wed the 20th (the day after we get back from Pittsburgh) at 7am to begin caring for Kevin? I would really appreciate it. We will be at BAMC on Monday for Kevin to have another Botox treatment so I will stop in and talk to you about this then.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm just speechless. They can do so much for corporations but the troops that do the dirty work that make these people millions are left at the way side. I keep you all in my prayers and I'm sending hugs, is there someone I can write to?

Unknown said...

what a slap in the face...I am so very sorry! what are these people thinking? oh, my mistake...they aren't 8(
This is an outrage and I still think you should make this all public...it is so sad that the majority of people in this country believe that our Vets are well taken care of when in reality they are not...and I think it is an even bigger outrage how caregivers like you are treated!!!
I wish I could help...I am sure that you are not the only one they do this to...and that just really makes me sick!!!
For now I send you prayers and love...and since you are living in Texas at the moment I will write to our Governor (Rick Perry) and the Senate as well!!! This has to stop here!!!!
Hugs, Tina Dwyer, El Paso,Texas

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

I am outraged. I am sharing this with people this is a joke. When this program was approved you were the first person I thought of that would get it at the highest tier. This is a insane. I am so sorry!

Anonymous said...

The whole system sucks. As horrible and unbelievable as this is, maybe there is a bit of a good side - you can go back to being Kevin's mom - you'll get to enjoy more of the good parts and you'll still be around to be sure that the care he's getting is what he needs.

Torrey Shannon said...

This is an incredible slap in the face to caregivers as a whole! It was bad enough we were undervalued before the benefit, then waited while the VA rolled out the program after many delays, but to find my sisters-in-arms getting undervalued again? This is an outrage. I'm interested in doing a Huffington Post story on this issue if you want to have your story heard. If you or any others in the same predicament are interested in getting this to a larger audience, feel free to email me: torrey@torreyshannon.com

I am so sorry. I agree that appealing this decision is needed. It is just a crying shame that you even have to go through the trouble. Call your Congressman and let them know! And if you need me to call them to back you up on the importance of the VA being fair and equitable in delivering this benefit, I will be first in line to help.

Long-time RN said...

I'm so sorry, Leslie. Here was a program set to provide a monetary assistance for the incredible value of your dedicated work, and still the government screws it up. I'll second what Anon wrote in that now you can be Kevin's mom, have some time for you, and hopefully work some balance back into your life. Big hug and prayers your way.

Jessica said...

I can't believe they decreased your hours even after the house inspector said she would suggest they INcrease them! What the heck? Talk about the last straw. I do hope you'll appeal it, although I certainly would understand if you didn't. Do let us know who would be a good person to complain to.

Praying that God will give you guidance and strength and put people in your path to help you and Kevin get the help you need and deserve. Take care.

Leslie said...

I can't say that I am surprised that the VA and the govt. have managed to screw this program up. Yet, I'm sure they will trot it out as an example of how much they are doing for the wounded.
{{{Hugs}}} to you and Kevin. Stay strong!
(The other) Leslie