Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 950 - Jan 4, 2010

We managed to make it through this busy day and I felt better as the day went on. Mary mentioned to me about this Mountain Cedar that is killing everyone's allergies here in SA so maybe that's what it is? Who knows. I just know it needs to go away quick.

So we had the vision therapy appointment today and although I really liked the ophthalmologist, it wasn't what I was looking for at all. We did order Kevin some glasses and some prescription sunglasses though.

So if you remember, I was looking for the type of vision therapy that would actually train Kevin's brain to remember that it can see peripherally to the right. Well, the doc said that there is no one in San Antonio that does this type of therapy. Matter of fact, he believes there are only two therapists in the whole state of Texas. Now one of them is in Austin - which is only about an hour and a half from here, but I really can't see us having the time to drive up there two times a week.

But, it is very important so I am going to have to give it some thought. It would also require quite a bit of persuasion on my part to the VA if we went for it because it is very expensive.

But seriously - if other parts of his body can work again due to the brain rewiring, why can't his vision?

I am optimistic about it, especially as I was told recently that some folks are amazed that Kevin does as well as he does. With his vision, he should be walking into walls and bumping into everything. We have none of this.

I guess I just need to do a little research and do some in-depth thinking about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are two optometrists in San Antonio who offer optometric vision therapy. They are:

Nelson Greeman, III, OD, FCOVD
249 East Hildbrand
San Antonio, TX 78212, US
PH: (210) 824-4503
FX: (210) 824-2542
Email: gx105@sbcglobal.net

and

Mervyn Bloom, OD
Los Patios Vision Source
1939 NE Loop 410
Suite 200
San Antonio, TX 78217, US
PH: (210) 822-7239
FX: (210) 822-7271
Email: mbloomvs@sbcglobal.net
Website: www.visionsource-alamocity.com

Best of luck to you.

Leslie said...

Maybe you could contact Gunny Nick Popadich - He had a lot of "vision issues" (I guess that's what results from being hit in the head with an RPG). He may have some suggestions.
I am not sure how to contact him - he does have a FaceBook page.
Leslie (the other one)