Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 833 - Sep 9, 2010

True to form, the day didn't turn out like it was supposed to. We were supposed to have the court hearing today and when we got there at 9:30 this morning we were informed that it had been continued until Oct 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say what?!!!

It jacks me to no end how unorganized this court system is in Butler County. Nobody let us know about the hearing being moved to another date and it really ticks me off. We spent a pile of money to get here for today and we sat at the courthouse for hours also because nobody could give our attorney solid information to get another immediate hearing lined up. The poor woman had to keep making the same phone calls while the admins kept changing the rules. I could never be an attorney. Too much bullcrap.

But anyway - Finally! Finally - late this afternoon all parties were lined up and another hearing is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I was so flippin' furious.

Oh, and I find it so odd that everyone else knew the hearing was continued. So why is it so frickin hard to let the most interested party know? Or at the very least let our attorney know? HELLO...........

But anyway, it was so very frustrating, but I am happy to say that Ronnie came to the supposed hearing with us and he and Kevin had a great time playing "Saving Private Sheep" on the iPad for hours. Thank you, Chalkie! Kevin loves that game and it really makes a person think hard! He does so well too!

So, it was so wonderful to see Ronnie again and I can't tell you how much I appreciated him coming to give me a hand with Kevin while I did what needed to be done. I'm tellin' ya Lori - if you are reading the blog - you have one heckuva kid there! You and Ron should be so proud of him!

After that, the three of us went to lunch and then Kevin and I went to visit my old place of employment. Kevin walked in and said his 'surprise' and we probably visited a good hour or so. It was so great seeing everyone. I miss it all so much; my life and my friends.

And we followed that with a healthy little nap and then we got up and went to dinner with a bunch of friends. I think I can safely say that we all had a blast. I have to admit that I was worried about there being a bunch of people (and kids) all at one table, but Kevin rocked it! Here is a photo of us (minus LuAnn who had to leave early):

Something cool happened there too - Kevin kept staring at the waitress and he finally talked to her and he knew her from school. He remembered her and she knew who he was too and it was so nice to see them BS a bit.

And last, but not least, we went into the mall and Kevin went his way and my friend Diane and I went our way. When we met up with Kevin about a half hour or 45 mins later he had done some shopping. He got himself a couple of pairs of jeans (correctly sized too) and a shirt and a cd. You would all be amazed at the cognitive difference in him since the plate is in. It has helped immensely having the iPad too. He has a bunch of apps that really make him think.

So now I need to get a bath and get to bed. We have another long day tomorrow...

(Miss you, Breezy! Sorry I didn't have time to talk to you much today! Love you!)


karen said...

That court thing SUCKS, as did that roof thing ... what the!?! (And I've been directly hit by a major typhoon a couple of times living in Asia, but nothing like THAT ever happened to me. Yeesh.

But the reason I am writing this is to say Wow, do you ever look right at home in that picture. Considering your traveling adventures and all, you also look fresh and gorgeous. Enjoy your time at home and glad you worked things out to get the court thing out of the way.

Anonymous said...

I just love reading "the adventures of Kevin". I am thrilled to hear that he is doing so well since the plate has been put in. It just makes me smile to think that he can play the games,....and remember girls from the past and then have a conversation. Oh, and the shopping??? I'm just blown away.

Great look happy!

Hope the new hearing date works out.....I can imagine your frustration because of the cancellation .....good grief!

Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Great picture!
Sounds like a fun day.
So happy for Kevin...

Anne Van Atta said...

How unbelievably frustrating about the court issues on top of having to deal with travel during the tropical storm! (and cool that they gave you a first-class flight upgrade-that should be the norm!)

It is monumentally uncaring of the judiciary there to not understand you and Kevin's situation. For pete's sake, they should have given Kevin a hero's welcome! (and you, too, Leslie...)

I'm so glad that Ronnie was there to hang with Kevin; what a dear young man and a true friend to Kev!

Wonderful that Kev is doing so much better cognitively with the plate replaced and that the iPad is helping greatly; I had a feeling that the pad would be an amazing assist device and thanks to those who made it happen... I can't remember the name of the org but they are in Florida and very grassroots...

Good luck tomorrow.

Love, Anne

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, that's just craziness about the court thing! I sure hope you were able to get the hearing today. Good grief. It just goes to show, incompetence is everywhere.

Glad that Kevin is handling everything well, so far and that he was able to enjoy his time reconnecting with old friends.

I'm thinking of you both and keeping you in my prayers! Take care.