Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 391 - Jun 24, 2009

Tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow those horrible bolsters get removed and hopefully Kevin will be able to handle the fact that he is going to look pretty bad yet. The doctors are assuming that the inflammation around the bolsters is going to scar and that they will then need to have us come back and repair that sometime down the road - kinda blend his new and old skin together. They mentioned a dremel (gasp!) and that sounds pretty horrible to me.

Other than that, we had a decent day. His moods are way up and down, but I suppose it's all the paid meds. And we are back on a cheesecake kick so he should start putting some weight on again, lol. And tonight Kevin actually ate some chinese food so he is definitely feeling better.

I sure hope we get to go home soon though. We really just want to get back to our own beds and I just want a home cooked meal. But at this point, I guess I'll settle for getting discharged and staying at the Fisher House.

And now I am heading to bed. I have been working on some stuff with Tracy for the Purple Heart ceremony and I am kinda tired. She did remind me to let everyone know that if it happens to rain that day the ceremony will be held at the Community Center in East Brady instead. Hopefully it doesn't rain though!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Chinese food and cheesecake will definitely help him put some much-needed weight back on, LOL.

I hope that the scar damage is minimal once the swelling goes down and heals up. Kevin has bounced back way beyond 'expectation' after each surgery, so perhaps he'll heal up better than the doctors think he will - here's to hoping!

Do they think the work done on his eye will heal better than his chin? What other areas need to be worked on? Hopefully there aren't too many more to go...

Thoughts and prayers coming your way from SoCal.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the bolsters will be removed soon! :) It's so good to hear that he's eating good too.
So does he come back one more time? Do they have to do any other areas or is the grafting done now?
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Kris said...

Saying extra prayers for you all this morning. Hope that it goes as well as it can possibly go, and saying extra prayers too for Kevin's strength for when he sees himself at this stage of healing. Thoughts are with you today (as always!).

Why is it that I always want chocolate cheesecake after reading your posts??

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Somebody (Leslie's) Birthday is tom. Happy Happy Birthday, Happy Happy Birthday I think she is turning 21? LOL ok 22 Love ya.
Tracy

Jessica said...

What a relief that must be for Kevin to have that huge thing off his face. Cheesecake and Chinese food sound good to me! I'm glad he's able to eat foods that he enjoys.

I'll be praying for quick healing and minimal scarring. Have the doctors suggested any kinds of things to put on the scar, like Vitamin E or cocoa butter?

Take care. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. And Happy Birthday, Leslie! Hope you get to enjoy some cake and ice cream. :)