Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 374 - Jun 9, 2009

We had a decent day today. I did reaffirm that we can't have too long of a therapy day. We had OT and then we had an hour for lunch and then Speech and it was just too much. We just can't do the lunch break between. Kevin actually got mad and stormed out by himself and went to the car after lunch because he did not want to be there anymore. It was really hard to get him to come back in for therapy, but I lied and pulled rank. I told him that he is still active duty and if he needs it - the Captain will come out and kick his butt back inside. He was mad - but he did concede and come back in. Phew. I was scared because let's face it - he is bigger than I am and there is no way that I can force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Other than that, not much happened today. I did break down and I purchased airline tickets for our trip back to PA. Man, I sure hope this works out. I did end up going Southwest because if you have to cancel you get a credit toward your next flight. I figure if it gets closer and he just can't do it, I will cancel and we will drive. It was also the only non-stop flight I could find between Tampa and the Burgh and I need this part of the day to be as short as possible.

I will be getting his iPod fixed (yes it's broken already) and he can at least use his earphones if he needs to block out some of the noise. I am assuming that we will board first because of his handicap so I should be able to get us right next to the bathroom so that he doesn't have to try to walk far in-flight.

I have to admit that I am outright scared about this. I think it's because there's just no changing your mind once that plane is in the air. If we were driving and something was wrong, I had control and could make a change.

Well, I just need to keep positive thoughts about this, right?

And now I need to go buy a dress. Darn! I hate shopping!!! I think I will try to do it once we are in TX because I can get Breezy to stay with Kevin for a few hours. Grrr....

And to end this post, I want to take a moment and share some photos of Kevin while in Afghanistan. (I hope nobody minds me posting these):

This first one is of Kevin wearing sun protection on his nose, lol. The young man standing behind Kevin is Andrew. Jodi - have you guys seen this picture?



This next one is just a bunch of the guys/gals goofing off.



And this is Kevin, looking through the window of the turret (I think, lol)



And this last one is of Kev and his buddy "Too Tall":



Tomorrow night I will be sharing some photos of a Memorial Day service that was in honor of Andrew and other fallen members of the military.

Betsy - I would love to show some photos of James if you feel comfortable with it. Please feel free to email me at lesliekamm at live.com if you want. (Clickable link on right.)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie,

Just an idea. If you can keep Kevin from drinking to much before you leave on the plane, esp ice tea, you'll do better..

This is coming from the voice of experience..lol I was so nervous I drank 2 large cups of it and thought I'd live in the bathroom..

Kevin will do fine..and so will you.

pommom said...

A lot of planes have "handicapped"
bathrooms, depending on the size of the plane, that are about twice the width of a normal plane lav. Wouldnt hurt to call and ask : )
As always, you guys are in my prayers.

Barbara B. said...

Leslie, I think he'll do fine on the plane. I've flown Southwest with my mother several times, and they were WONDERFUL! You'll get to board first, and sit right up front, near the restroom and exit...first on, first off. They will assist the two of you getting on and off the plane, and through the terminal, if you need them to. It will be fine. And the noise level is not bad, especially since you won't be sitting near the engines. Barbara B.

Anonymous said...

Maybe call ahead and explain Kevin's needs. My cousin is handicapped and they put him on very last and take him off very last every time. He told me why, but I can not remember the reason right now, sorry. I do know he said it is their policy to do this, and happens with all different air companies.

Hopefully Barbara is right and SW does it differently.

Long-time RN said...

A call to Southwest is a good idea, check out their policy and explain your concerns. Unfortunately air travel is no longer very gracious, but I'd bet they'd do whatever it takes to accomodate Kevin on this flight.

The pictures, wow. To those of us who have never 'seen' him prior, Kevin is the Kevin we 'see' now. His smiling, goofing around expression is the same, bushier eyebrows for sure! For what he has experienced, he looks wonderful. Thoughts and prayers as you prepare for the next step in Texas.

Jess said...

Awesome pictures Mamma Leslie!! Can't wait to see you when you come back home again!! Love ya!!

Jess

Jodi said...

Hi Les!

Actually, I think I sent that picture to you right after the incident. :-) Andrew LOVED that goofy hat he was wearing. His dad has it now. I love that picture because you can tell what a character Kevin is with that stuff on his nose lol. :-) If I remember correctly, that picture was taken on May 24th, 2008.

I agree, call the airlines ahead of time and advise them of Kevin's situation. Stay positive, everything will work out just fine!

Breezy - how are you doing honey??

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength and comfort for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Barbara B is correct in that Southwest is WONDERFUL. I used to travel a lot on SW through my years of employment with the State of CA and they are gracious, sometimes funny, and you WILL board first. I don't remember any handicapped lavatories but then I never looked.

You have to start sometime and you could not have selected a better airline.

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Good luck.

A question. With the past head fluid problems Kevin has had, is this a concern with the air pressure of the airplane once up in the sky?

A sinus patient myself, I know the pain is horrible in the sinus passages and there isn't anything you can do about it once you are up in the air.

With all of the pain Kevin has been through, that would probably be a piece of cake and not much of a concern to him at all; although, it sure does hurt while you are going through it.

Best wishes.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Hey Les! It was great to get over here and catch up after being gone. I love seeing those photos..thanks for sharing.

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing those photos. I only "know" Kevin from what he looks like now, and it's a good reminder of who he was and still is inside. The camaraderie between the guys (and girl!) is evident from the pics.

I'm so glad your friend Tracey worked out all the details of the ceremony. What a load off! I hope Southwest comes through for you and Kevin. I'll be praying it goes smoothly and with as little stress as possible.

I'll be thinking of you both and praying for you. I'm sure everything will work out just fine!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Yep its a turret or also known as a GPK (Gunner's Protection Kit) We make these where I work for the military.

Cathy