Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 382 - Jun 17, 2009

We ended up still staying at the hospital tonight. Kevin's face is very inflamed around the bandage so they kept us here to control any possible problems. We did draw blood and his white count is ok so it doesn't appear to be an infection, but still we just don't know.

Unfortunately, he has been taking a whole lot of pain medication and I assume it will be this way for days yet. We did manage to get him in the shower today, but it didn't seem to really make him feel better and I was hoping it would. He's not really eating much either, but who could with your face that sore?

It's times like this when I just think that life is really so unfair. Here's a 20 year old kid that did something that he felt was right and look how it turned out - in the hospital for a year, loss of nearly half of his brain, broken bones, internal bleeding, and burns that, once healed, require plastic surgery to make him look as close to normal as they can get.

I really just want all of this over with so we can get on with our lives. I know that I am exhausted and I haven't been through half of what Kevin has. Oh well, we have more surgeries to go and many years worth of therapy so I guess I'll do what our friendly "Herd" guy says - wipe the sweat and drive on!

Yep - just wipe the sweat and drive on...although it would be real nice if the rag could dry in between wipes. This one's been soaked for a year already!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad there doesn't seem to be an infection. Also glad they are giving him more pain meds. He sure doesn't need any more pain. Hopefully it will be just temporary. Since it is so new right now maybe it takes a while for the redness to disappear? Can't wait until he's feeling better! :) Have they considered feeding him other ways besides his mouth? It just seems like it is so new right there to be eating and moving it so much? Esp. since he has pain. Maybe they want to have him use it I don't know. Just thinking outloud. :)
I agree, you are right it just doesn't seem fair for Kevin to have to go through all of this- esp. at age 20. He truly is invincible! Just like his mom is! :)
Thank you for updating us and we look forward to tomorrow. Please tell Kevin we are all rooting for him and hope he feels better really soon!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Long-time RN said...

Kathyin IA covered my thoughts while I was reading your post. Temporary pain relief during the healing is good. Are you worried about Kevin becoming dependant on the meds?

Your family is made of some mighty tough stuff. Can't imagine how rough it is dealing with all you both deal with daily. It doesn't seem fair, and all the why's and questions compound when you're tired. Vent it out, wipe the sweat, and drive on. Lifting prayers for healing.

Denver said...

Many of us wish we could offer you dry rags. What you have accomplished so far is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry that you and Kevin have to go through this, but he IS getting better, albiet with baby steps. He really is!

I am sending positive thoughts and lots of hugs to you and your brave son.

God bless both of you.

Cathy M