Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 377 - Jun 12, 2009

Kevin is doing so much better this time around. We had to go for all the pre-admission testing today and he really did well. He was getting a little antsy near the end, but he still did very well.

He is also handling the Fisher House situation much better as well. It still has to be dark in here, but I am allowed to lay in bed with the computer now instead of having to sit in the bathroom. I still can't talk or have the tv on, but that's ok - I can at least do things on the computer.

I want to finally get around to answering some questions/comments as my email is really piling up.

To the anon poster who asked if I was worried about Kevin flying in regards to the shunt - nope. We have flown three times now to Texas and back with no problems. The cabin pressure is the same on a commercial airliner as it is in a Lear jet so I foresee no problems on that end. The only things I am worried about are the bathroom situation and the noise level. He seems to be able to handle the constant hum of the plane, but he doesn't tolerate 'people' noises very well. He has gotten somewhat better though, so we shall see...

Sue - thanks for telling me about the Injured Soldier Program. I will definitely be calling TSA. I also think it's sad that they didn't even inform you of your son's Purple Heart award ceremony. They did want to do Kevin's while he was in a coma, but I had them wait until he got better. I am so glad I did that.

Jenna - thanks so much for the caregivers information. I sure hope they do something fast. It makes my heart hurt to not have an income and to not have any type of insurance.

Tracey from the Burgh - Yes, Kevin's therapists were all surprised at his progress. The doctors were even more so! I had a nurse come up to me and she told me that there are two guys that keep them all going - keep them knowing that anything is possible - Kevin is one and Ann's son Mark is the other (Ann sometimes posts here).

Brenda, I hear ya' about not drinking before going on our flight. There is no restroom on that Lear jet so I eat and drink NOTHING before flying. They always tell me that I can use a urinal if I really need to go, but there is no privacy. I think I'll pass on that, thank you very much.

Jessica Canham - Kevin is very excited about the surgeries. I don't think I explained what is going to happen, but they are going to cut all of the scar tissue off and put cadaver skin in place for 3 or 4 days. He will have another surgery on Thursday where they will remove the cadaver skin and apply his own donor skin. We are both so excited because he will finally be able to hold his head up and he should stop drooling all over the place. Right now, his lip is so far down his face that he can't hold the drool or any food correctly in his mouth.

And I guess they plan on keeping us here in Texas for 10-14 days after the second surgery.

Chalkie - I sure hope I get to meet you someday. Thanks for the info about the Purple Heart and I don't think Manhattan is THAT far, lol. (The kids and I went there right before Kevin left for Basic Training. We had fun as it was our first vacation in a very long time). PS - how is your wife doing?

Anita (and everyone else that has went through this whole horrible ordeal) - at least we all know that there is someone else out there that understands the absolute terror we have faced. It doesn't make you feel quite so along maybe. I think we all hold fear in our hearts from the day our guys/gals sign on the dotted line. I know I did. And it truly does become tenfold once they deploy, doesn't it? I am so sorry for all the lost and for all the wounded. It's just a sad, sad thing...

Patricia - damn, girl! That post from day 364 was awesome.

Michelle Long - yes, Kevin will be in the Riverfest parade as well. We have him in the very front of the parade just in case he can't handle all of the stimulation. Hope we see you there.

Ok - I have made a HUGE dent in my inbox, so now I am heading to bed...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Les,
Try ear plugs for Kevin. The purple ones are great from Wal Mart. We use them to sleep with because we live right on 208 in Harrisville. I would think that would help greatly with his noise issue. He can wear them only when needed.
Good luck this week!
Love ya,
Sue L.

Unknown said...

hey sweetie,

If the ear plugs don't work , you might try those ear phones they use for listening to your music..not the little ones but the big ones that cover the whole ear.

just a thought.

Unknown said...

Hi Lesley, Kevin and Brianna ~

I am so glad you posted the information about the ceremony. I am really trying to work schedules around to be there. It has probably been there all along I just missed it!

My prayers and best to you all as you get through all of the surgeries.

Leslie, what is so much nicer, now, is that, now that we met, I have a wonderful face and voice to put with all of the words!!

Love, hugs and prayers, always.

ps. I am glad you liked the post.

Unknown said...

Geeze...I have three friends all named Les(lie,ley,lee)so please forgive the misspelling!! Yikes! Love.

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie and Kevin -

Just "catching up" with your posts since I haven't read for a couple days. Patricia's post was from the heart and I think we all understand what she was saying.It was written so well.

I had to travel to Clarion today and came back to FC through East Brady. As we came down the Brady hill, my immediate thoughts were of you and Kevin. The town looked great and it's easy to see why you all miss it. My aunt lived in Brady for many years - on Purdum Street so Brady was part of "my growing up years".

Anyways, I just wanted to let you both know that we are thinking about you (I had my middle son with me and explained Kevin's story to him as we traveled through.) We are praying Kevin does well in Texas and hoping to travel to Brady for the ceremony. I did not get to visit the last time you were here (my other son graduated from nursing school the night you were in Brady).

Keep your faith. Know there are many of us who hold your family (and those of all service men and women) near and dear to our hearts.

I have no suggestion for the plane, as I think even with earplugs, earphones and other things, planes are not comfortable. Hope you get a good flight without screaming babies and restless passengers. Maybe you could ask if Kevin could take Benadryl or some other mild form of OTC med that would help him sleep - that's also a hard call because sometimes the drug has the total opposite affect.... wishing you luck there.

Way to go PENS!!!

Jessica Canham said...

I'm glad to hear good news about Kevin being able to better handle the housing and testing situations. That's so cool what the nurses said about Kevin being one of the patients that keeps them going. I can see why!

So, you've been upgraded from the bathroom to the bed. ;) At least it's a softer seat for your tush!

Take care! I'll be thinking of you both and praying for more good news.