Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 370 - Jun 5, 2009

This being on 'vacation' is kinda nice, lol. We really didn't do much again today. I have been trying to get some kind of acknowledgment of Kevin's Purple Heart Ceremony and I am struggling with it. Our liaison told me to hurry and get her a date and that was nearly two months ago. Now I just need to find out what to do and what the protocol is.

Does anybody out there in the black void know? I have never been to one and I have no idea what needs to be planned and if the Army needs to 'be there' or if just those that I invite need to come. I don't know if the Army has to have any say in it at all or if I can just do what I want.

I was told by a civilian that any of the soldiers from Kevin's unit can come and at the Army's expense - is that true? Most of them are in Germany and I know none of them would be able to afford it if they had to pay for it, but I do feel it would mean so much more to Kev (and the rest of them) if his buddies could come. Does anyone know if this is true?

And is it normal to have a luncheon/dinner afterward? And if so - who foots the bill for it? Me? That would be a little bit hard on my income (haha - what's an income?) and I sure don't think Kevin should have to pay for his own ceremonial dinner.

And can he wear his Class A's? (is that what the formal uniform is called?) Or does he have to wear the camouflage uniform?

I did contact the Sgt that was in charge in Afghanistan and I have asked him to pin the medal on Kevin. He is a great guy and I think he should have the honor being that he was there when the attack occurred.

And I was told that an officer has to 'read' the award so our liaison will be doing that as she is a Captain and Kevin has a good relationship with her.

I also wonder if I should call the local Legion Posts and VFWs? Do they need to be notified?

So many questions - absolutely no one to turn to.

I wish there was some kind of anonymous Army hotline...

4 comments:

Miss Em said...

Leslie,

Contact the VFW there in your area that you are living in right now. They can answer almost all of those questions and help you cordinate with the VFW back in Pennsylvania if that is the location that you plan to have the ceremony.

Hope this helps.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

try this site

http://iava.org/

Anonymous said...

My son (173rd, 2-503, Chosen Co.) received his Purple Heart at Walter Reed. It was a ceremony by the Sgt Major of the Army. I wasn't even notified that it was going to happen. His friend, also of the 173rd, was given his Purple Heart by President Bush and that was top secret until after it happened. So, my point is there is no real protocol about uniform , luncheon, etc. it is what you want and what is organized for you. Personally, I agree that I would contact the VFW or other service organization and I bet they can arrange a luncheon. Is there a 173rd Chapter in Pennsylvania. When I planned a get together or Moms of wounded and KIA at WR, I contacted the 173rd in NY and they gave us a lovely banquet for all the Moms and soldiers. I have not heard that any soldier can attend at the Army's expense. Were is Brady? I am in North Eastern Ohio. Good luck with all the arrangements and I know you will get the support you need. Sue

Jessica said...

I'm glad you're both enjoying your "vacation"! I hope you're able to work out the details of Kevin's ceremony. There has to be someone who can help you figure it all out.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, as always!