Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day 98 - Sept 6, 2008

It was a nice, slow day today. Finally. I think I love weekends, lol.

Although...I was awakened at 7am due to the fire alarm going off at the house. I can honestly say that I have never been involved in a 'real' fire alarm situation. I hope I never am again - but I am told it happens frequently here.

Speaking of here, Susan - you asked about our living situation. We live in a beautiful house that has 21 (I think) bedroom/bath suites and a 'community' kitchen, dining area, living area and den. It is very upscale and it is only for wounded warriors/vets and their families. It's called "The Fisher House". It's kinda weird for me because I am a very private person, but I am getting to know everyone here and from what I am seeing, we are all here for the brain trauma unit. This means that I can just ask anything and someone here will know the answer. The only other downer is that you can't take any food to your bedroom. That's a bummer because I like to eat popcorn and drink Pepsi when I am watching a movie, but no can do. I suppose I should look at it as being good for the diet, eh?

Paula, I have wanted to buy those plastic alphabets for a while now, but at this point I don't have a car to go anywhere. My car will be here in a couple of weeks so I will get them then.

To both Paula and Susan - say hi to everyone at work for me!

So back to Kevin - one thing that was kinda exciting today was that he was really pissed at me again (surprise! haha - he HATES me brushing his teeth) and he was so angry that he almost said some words. I heard two new sounds - the TH sound and the letter D sound. I know this is such a little thing, but all of this points to him possibly being able to speak again! I could just tell he was swearing at me too, lol. I told him to go ahead and curse me up one side and down the other. It's not like I don't feel like doing it sometimes!

He is also giving everyone high fives now. Breezy taught him to do this weeks ago and he continually does it for the docs. It's just amazing how much more alert he is. And when you say his name his eyes connect with yours for a longer period of time now. We are progressing, and we still haven't really started rehab yet. I am told we will meet with all of his docs this week (and every week thereafter) and go over a plan of action, where we all set realistic goals. I am really looking forward to that.

And I will say that so far, even with all the transfer problems, I am really liking the set up here. I love how they include the family and listen to everything we have to say. I never understood why the TX hospital shut us out. I am just glad that I was pushy and wanted to understand everything or we would have been in some deeper shit than we already were when we transferred. Oh well, water under the bridge, right?

13 comments:

Holee said...

I have to tell you, I looked up the Clarion Hotel and saw nothing but terrible reviews..I was about to have a fit with everyone via email as to the treatment our families were getting. Boy, I am so glad you posted about The Fisher House. I looked it up too and it's new, cost 3.3 mil and is what Americans should expect for our families to be housed in when they are dealing with an injured war hero.

Nothing would be better then for Kev to blurt out a big huge curse word or two! Funny how anger just might bring out the best!

Just let me get a new ink pack and I'll print out the ship photo's for you. I also have some quilt photo's and some trims I thought you might want to make a page up and I even took some things off the 173rd web site you might want to use. (us crafters are always thinking about the fun stuff)

If there's anything else I can send your way, just give a holler! Have a restful Sunday..all 3 of you!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling more comfortable about the situation in Tampa. A friend of mine who has a husband with TBI and has done a lot of research said that Tampa is a fabulous palce fro Kevin to be. I have more stuff I want to tell/send you...

As far as Kevin doing better each day, I am sure that your and Breezy's love has much to do with his progress. As I have said before...you are amazing!

Question about your address - do we still end stuff to the Clarion for you, or is there an address at the Fisher House?

Big hugs, to you, Kevin and Breezy.


Keep on hanging on

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, I have been reading your blog now for about 90 days I think and I check it every day - I wanted to leave you good wishes before but never knew quite what to say, but now I have looked at the map and can see the star on Melbourne Australia and i thought you may be wondering about people in other countries thinking about you and your son every day - so I thought it was time to send all my best wishes and get well thoughts and let you know you are in the thoughts of people everywhere - I wish you and your son every get well message I can think of. Best wishes from Jenny in Melbourne, Australia. I really admire your strength and courage.

Unknown said...

I am so thankful you are in what is another "new home". Remember what we spoke of? HOME is where you are with those you love. It is an address to give you grounding. When all else is chaos and confusing, it is the place where you place your shoes at the end of the day. And for you, especially, it is where you can create nourishment and the "smells" of your own cooking. I am just so glad, you are there.

I am also happy to read that Kevin has regained his feisty side. Always a good sign when he is trying to swear!

Please give my best to Brianna and Kevin, and a big hug for you.

Love, hugs and prayers. Always

Anonymous said...

Les, Sounds like Kevin is trying to tell ya he doesn't like his teeth brushed. Remember those words are usually the fist that they will say. Yey Kev. I am so glad that you house is nice. Gods knows that you and Breezy sure do deserve it. Keep playing music and TV shows that he liked (you are one smart Mom). As always honey I love ya miss ya and let me know when and if I can do anything for you. Love ya, Pam

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
knowing what a private person you were;I can only imagine the adjustments you are making in your
living situation,but it does sound like a beautiful home.Also,it probably is nice being surrounded by others that understand what new things each day brings you.I can only imagine the others being nearby as you are whipping up something in the kitchen...i'm drooling just thinking of all the goodies you love to bake.
It sure is nice to hear that Kevin is giving high fives and trying out new sounds,you and Breezey keep up the tryingnew things with him,it seems like they are working.
It also is great to hear of the emotional support you three are getting at this hospital;they seem to understand the healing affect on the brain that family and loving memories can provide.Keep up the good work!!!
love kim s

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're in such a nice place, even thought it doesn't sound very private. I hope you'll find some good friends there so you can support each other. If anything, it sounds like you have some great new resources! And the fact that Kevin is trying to say words give high fives is great news. When I think about how he was when you first started blogging, his progress is amazing!

Jude said...

Leslie, read the blog every few days and am astonished and happy that Kev is improving so well. You are a super mom and I admire your perseverance and courage. Been waiting for the new address so I could send more cards. Prayers and good thoughts to you and Breezy and Kev. Jude in East Palatka,Fl

Anonymous said...

Leslie, It was so great to hear you on the phone the other day. I have to say that with new baby Luke I was having one of those days when I was feeling sorry for myself and our situation. I sat down and started to catch up on your last few days of blogs. I wanted to let you know that your strength inspires me. It keeps me going as a mom. I want you to know that all that you are doing isn't only helping Kevin... It's helping anyone who reads to realize that we all have more strength and courage in us then we ever dreamed!!! I admire you, and what you do everyday. I know we were never very close, but you are one of the kindest, sweetest people that I have ever met! Our thoughts and prayers our with you every day.

Morgan

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie, Breezy, and Kevin,

I am so glad you are in Tampa, and things are progressing better!

Kevin is doing better because of a combined effort of you, Breezy, and the hospital staff! He is an awesome young man, and he will pull thru this! C'mon Kevin, keep fighting kiddo! I can't wait to meet you someday!

Here is to a great day on Monday!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin!
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and Alan.
Big hugs and lots of love for all of you!!!!!!
All my love,
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Vicki Chrisman said...

Glad to hear things are falling into place there Les. I know you , you'll make friends where ever you are! Heres hoping for a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie, Breezie,

You are in our prayers tonight.
It sounds like Tampa is going to be great for Kevin. If you need anyhting, let me know.

Robin.

Anonymous said...

I hate to sound too picky but I wanted to check on something. You mention seeing the docs, but don't mention therapists. Are you including them with the docs? If not, you need to go ballistic if SLP, PT, or OT haven't been in to see him.