Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 96 - Sept 4, 2008

Yet another busy day. But lucky Kevin figured out something today, lol. My niece Chrissy and her boyfriend Drew came over tonight to visit and they (and Breezy) realized that Kevin would be wide awake and alert until someone came to the room. He would then roll his eyes up into his head and act like he was sleeping. As soon as the person would leave, he would slowly open his eyes back up and look around to make sure they were gone. If they were, he would start moving around like normal. Man, I sure wish I could play possum too!

So it was still busy, but we only saw maybe 25 docs or so today. Tomorrow ought to be it, at least until Monday. Things are usually quieter on the weekends, I guess.

We did get a shower today, thank goodness. And we had pretty much an all over body set of x-rays done. It took over an hour for all of them.

And the guardianship hearing went well. I will admit that I worried that Tim would try to step in, but he didn't. I think he knew he didn't really have a chance. But anyway, I started crying when they recited the decision at the end. It's hard to hear that your son is so incapacitated that he can't make any of his own decisions - even if you truly are living it day to day. I guess it's cause we always have ways to fake the day away.

Oh and before I forget - I was told yesterday that Kevin had also fractured his lumbar 1 (back). This was the first I heard of it and need to find out more info. Unfortunately the person that told me this was paged and we never were able to reconnect. I know it's nothing to worry about at this point, but still...

And we also got Kevin's IV removed. For the first time in 96 days, he has no IVs! Yay!! I believe they are coming tomorrow to begin the swallow study as well. Hopefully he can do it because then we can start to feed him food! I just can't wait to bring him ice cream or just anything with some flavor! Keep those fingers crossed, everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LES,
YOU POSTED THIS AS SEPT 1ST... JUST SO YOU KNOW... HAPPY TO HEAR KEVIN IS GETTING ALL OF THESE THINGS REMOVED, AND OTHER TEST DONE.. X-RAYS AND THEN THE SWALLOW TEST. CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE!

CHRISTIE GRIFFIE

Jan said...

Mmm, ice cream, that's something to look forward to! What's Kevin's favorite flavor? I'm a vanilla, BORING. Somehow I see Kevin wanting something a little more exciting.

Anonymous said...

Great for the swallow study. A speech pathologist should do that. Make sure you corner the person and ask about some type of communication board.

Anonymous said...

Les, It was so good to talk to you honey. I am sure anxious to hear about the swallow study and the least amount of invasive things(IV's) the least amount of places for infections. What about the special clothing for the burns are they back on yet? I forgot to ask you. Take care and love ya bunches. Pam

Kris said...

Got my fingers and every body part that crosses crossed that the test goes well and ice cream can be administered. Unfortunately for my butt, I find ice cream very medicinal and good for the soul! Thoughts, prayers, support and load upon load of Angel Hugs are always on their way to you Leslie, Breezy & Kevin. God bless you all and give you the massive amounts of strength, peace and comfort that you need each day and more.

Hugs to you all!

- Kris, Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if kevin was interested in any of the games and if he showed a preference to the station on the tv or radio.
I realize its a buisy transition for all of you, but god he must be frustrated and bored cut off from communicating.
Praying with you all in my heart
Kevin Gallagher

Anonymous said...

I hope this weekend is uneventful so you all can get some needed rest, Kevin especially. He must be so sick of doctors right now! And what a relief to get those IVs out. Those things hurt!

Praise God the guardianship hearing went well! Leslie, I know what you mean about faking it through each day. If you thought about the reality of it everyday, you wouldn't be able to cope and get done what needs to be done. I'm the same way when I go to the doctor. It's hard not to cry when I have to face my situation and say it out loud, YKWIM? Otherwise, I partly "fake" my way through the day, but in the end, what really gets me through is lots of prayer and reading God's word, which brings me peace and comfort. I have a plaque on my wall with this little verse, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
No matter how sick I am and how much I'm suffering, I know that Jesus is with me.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised Kam plays possum with the docs. That's the Kam I knew downrange. You are all still in my prayers!

SGT Morgan W