Sunday, September 28, 2008

Day 120 - Sept 28, 2008

Things have been going way too well lately and I should have known it. Unfortunately, Kevin's shunt quit working today. Actually, I think it quit yesterday, but it was very obvious when I went in this morning. I did notice yesterday that his head seemed bigger, but I thought maybe it was just the way he was laying in bed. Well, when I went in this morning, his head was nearly double the size it was when I left last night. He was also moaning and just moving all over the place trying to get comfortable. I had neurosurgery paged and sure enough - it was clogged. The doctor did 'unclog' it, but we are unsure whether that will fix the problem or not. I was told that he may have an infection or that the shunt may be malfunctioning. I should have more info tomorrow and if there is a problem with it, we will be doing emergency surgery to remove it. Please just keep us in your thoughts tomorrow.

Other than that, it was a very quiet day. We kept him medicated due to the pain, so he slept most of the day away. It was unfortunate that my friend Joyce arrived today. I so wanted her to see the happy Kev and not the one from a month ago. Maybe tomorrow, right? In the meantime, I am happy to have her here. I just hope that the rest of her time with us isn't as bad as today was.

I am going to cut this short tonight as I am exhausted. I haven't had such an awful day in a while and I think my body and mind became spoiled.

Hopefully tomorrow brings good news...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Sending prayers to Kevin, you and Brianna as always. I hope his pain lets up and that the problem with the shunt is resolved soon.

I'm glad your friend Joyce is there to visit. : )

STAY STRONG...

Anonymous said...

That is SO sad to hear about Kevin's shut! I will keep your family in my prayers! Keep your chin up..remember 3 steps forward and 1 back.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh Tomorrow WILL be better! I just know it! Hugs Les.. and enjoy your time with your friend there.

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie,

I have a question....Isn't some kind of nurse there with Kevin 24/7? Why didn't they notice the size of his head increasing overnight and why can't they do something about it? Do they NOT have "medical authority" to help him while you are not there? Just curious....

Hang in there Leslie! Today will be better! This is just a small setback. Kev has made great strides recently and will continue to do so again! I am glad you have some extra support there with Joyce.

Stay positive and keep smiling! Kevin pulls some of his strength from you and Breezy!

EXTRA healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength and positive thoughts for you and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!
Love ya!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Holee said...

I had the same question as Jodi. What good is a person sitting in a room if they don't watch for signs of trouble and call the right people in?

I'm sure we all will be waiting to hear news at the end of the day. This is very up setting to me and many others after Kevin was doing so well.

I do know that people with shunts do have times of trouble when they need to be replaced, like some dwarfs have this problem. Maybe this is not as bad as it seems.

I'll be praying for good results!

Anonymous said...

we continue to pray for Kevin. And for you and Breezy.

Ruthie B. in Maine

Anonymous said...

LESLIE AND BREEZY,
OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU MORE TODAY THEN EVER.

LORRAINE AND RICK