Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 104 - Sept 12, 2008

This was by far probably the most amazing day we have had yet to date! We did so many things today that my head is just spinning!!

First, Kevin ate pudding today! And he even would take the spoon from the therapist's hand and feed himself. I would say he ate about 1/3 of one of one of those pudding packs. And he even used a napkin to wipe his lips when he needed to.

He also automatically covers his mouth when he yawns now. I guess that is just instinctual, lol!

And today, he got on the tilt table. A tilt table is a table that will tilt upwards until the person that is strapped to it is standing up. Due to Kevin's ankle having been fractured, we have not put any type of weight on that leg until today. Needless to say, the right leg hasn't had any weight either. But today, we had him standing nearly straight up. We kept him at an angle, but only because it's been 3 1/2 months since he has bore (is that the right word?) any weight on either leg. I am pleased to say that he handled this extremely well.

I also gave Kev his dog tags this morning and he kept putting them up in front of his face and then cradling them to his chest. And once I saw that he seemed to understand what was really going on today, I gave him his wallet. His eyes lit up like a Christmas Tree. He flipped it around on his stomach to get it open and held it up to his face to see what was in it. I pulled out all of his cash and cards and he reached for the cash first (he's not dumb, lol). I shit you not - he used his thumb and fingers to spread the cash out in his hand and I honestly think he was counting it. We then went through all of the cards and we talked and I made a comment about his military ID looking like a convict and he actually smirked at me. And when I came across a fake NY driver's license with Al Pacino's face on it, I joked about being mad for him having a fake id and he truly grinned. It was so hilarous! And so wonderful to see! Anyway, when I went to put everything away, he put his hand up and stopped me. He pulled the money out of the pile and tried to give it to me! I told him "NO! I'm not taking your money" and he just shook it at me! We then had a long discussion about money and I do believe he understood everything.

And I mean everything! I told him it was time for him to brush his own teeth and handed him his tooth brush. The first time today, he tried but struggled. He got frustrated and quit. I gave him the "Don't get frustrated" speech and when I gave him the toothbrush again tonight - he brushed exactly right. He rubbed back and forth and even did his back teeth and his tongue. Unbelievable. And once he was done, I had him put the toothbrush back in it's holder and put the lid on. The first time, he didn't get the lid on quite right and told him 'no way, buddy. Get it on there right' and he did!

And Breezy gave him a pen and paper tonight. He did a lot of scribbling and it went on way longer than it did when we used the dry erase board.

And for the pièce de résistance: My son said his first word tonight!!!!!

We have been trying to get him to say "HI" for a couple of days now, but we haven't been trying real hard. Tonight I came back after dinner and we really worked on it. After a while, he said it real quietly a few times and we started calling everyone we could call. As time was going on, he was getting louder and stronger with it and I wish y'all could have seen the look on his face when he shouted "HI". I think he surprised himself and we all started jumping and smiling and laughing and the look of pride on Kevin's face was so amazingly wonderful! He was honestly grinning from ear to ear right along with us! It was all me and Breezy could do not to start crying. I just can't believe that Kevin can talk! They told me he never would! And yes, I know it's only one word, but if he can do one - he will do them all! I believe that!

Isn't this all just so amazing? I kept thinking he was in there and we needed to just bring him out, but today was honestly more than I could have ever hoped for! If he keeps up at this rate - we will be home next month, lol. (and yes - that is an exaggeration - grin)

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am so thankful for this wonderful news. Thank You LORD! We continue to pray for progress. I'm so happy for you all.

Anonymous said...

Leslie...what a wonderful day fr all of you!! As I read your post you put a smile on my face as I remembered when Micah reached such milestones. It is a great feeling isn't it? There will be many more to come...we are 7yrs out and we still see improvements! I am so proud of Kevin, you and Breezy! You are all so strong and supportive...keep up the good work! I will keep you in my prayers...and when you get back to PA, maybe we could meet sometime?
May God continue to bless you all!
Brenda A

Jodi said...

Leslie, Breezy, and Kevin,

I am crying (tears of joy) and I am speechless! And everyone who knows me, knows that it is near impossible for me to be speechless (LOL). I sit here crying, just saying, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW...

RIGHT ON KEVIN!!! You are improving by the day, and you said your first word today. When I read that, I started crying! I have been hoping that you would talk after they took the trach out!
You don't know what it means to me all the progress you have made. I am so happy and excited! You have proved what a strong and determined man you are! That is AWESOME! Keep it up kiddo! Everyone out here is rooting and pulling for you!!!

Leslie and Breezy, I couldn't even begin to imagine your happiness and joy with all of Kevin's progress. I wish I could give you both hugs. It is because of YOU TWO that he has improved so much! Never doubt or forget that! Keep "keeping on" and stay strong!

Sorry, I guess I wasn't as "speechless" as I thought! LOL

Here is to ANOTHER fantastic day!!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin!
Safe thoughts for all military personnel!
Big hugs, lots of kisses, and lots of love for all of you!
I love you guys!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

absolutely amazing day! I am so happy for you three! Your dedication, love and support are all paying off finally! You all inspire me to take lifes ups and downs in stride and give me hope that good things do happen to good people! i hope one day to meet kevin and thank you all personally for your sacrifices. and i want to thank you leslie for sharing your story with the world. this means alot to all of us that faithfully read your blog. love and prayers are with you all! keep up the hard work kev!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Breezy and Kevin..I am so happy for all three of you. What amazing accomplishments today. I knew you could do it, Kevin. You keep fighting as hard as you can and we'll keep praying for you. I said at the beginning of this that I believe in miracles and here they come. Stay strong, Leslie and Breezy, your love has made incredible things happen.
Melissa Ion

Gretchen said...

Oh Les - What absolutely wonderful news. He's a miracle on legs!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, awesome news Leslie! I pray Kevin will continue to be a beacon of hope for all the wounded and their families. Your example has already given courage to moms across the world.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great day. It is amazing what Kevin has accomplished in these 104 days. Amazing . ..but not surprising. You have the world praying for you buddy. Prayer and hard work will get you there.
Leslie, it is also amazing how far you have come. I have been reading since day one. You have always been there for Kevin. You rode such a roller coaster with your emotions and thoughts (perfectly normal). Now, you seem stronger, fiercier (in a good way), and more stable to face anything that is thrown your way. My mother use to tell me that God does not give you anything that you can't handle and those things that don't kill you, only make you stronger.
Prayers are said every day for Kevin and your family.
May the blessings keep coming!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Great job Kam!!! I can only imagine the joy you and Breezy are feeling, Leslie. :) Hugs and prayers!

SGT Morgan W

Jan said...

I believe too. Leslie, I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Praise to the Good LORD! Keeping the healing going. What a try blessing Kevin is to his family and the world. Thank You Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

That whole post just made me cry! (happy tears, of course.)
Hi, right back at you Kevin.
We love you!
The Stimacs

Anonymous said...

God is good. I am so happy for all of you . A miracle is what you needed and it seems to be what you are getting! Wonderful,joyful news.
Take care.
Peggy M.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

ALL very emotional and wonderful news. Surprising ?? Certainly not. You are where you are to be..by the side of your son. Your strength and Brianna by your side, along with MANY prayers and positive thoughts, has got Kevin to the place he is today.

Continuing to pray for Kevin, you and Brianna and SO GLAD you are out of Texas, in Hurricane Ike's path...Praying for your friends left behind and those in need in the path of this horrible hurricane.

How is Joel doing back in Texas ? I think of his parents often and their journey too..by the side of their son.

God places you where you need to be and is by your side...always.

STAY STRONG, Leslie.

Anonymous said...

Okay Les, thanks for the tears in my eyes, but as you know they are happy tears. I am so excited for you 3! This is wonderful and yeah, I believe that Kevin was in there and it took you and Breezy's strength, faith, empathy and strong determination to bring him out. One simple word of Hi is going to lead into many more to come. Yeah, he was counting the money too. He is becoming more aware and he knows what he's doing. I firmly believe that. AWESOME AWESOME! I can picture the stand he was in as I used to help a girl at school use one of those and it's great because it helps build strength in the leg muscles. There is more proress to come Les, and you and Breezy will be completely amazed! Your strength and determination has shown Kevin that he has to continue to fight to become well and it's paying off through his progress. Keep it up Les and Breezy and do not let him quit. Thanks for making my day! Love you all
Diana

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Breezy and Kevin,
Wow what a way to start my day! What great news!
I am so happy for you all. It seems Kevin is getting stronger and more himself every day.
I am sitting here watching the weather channel and hoping all those in TX are ok and thanking God that you are all safe.
Keep up the great progress Kevin! Say Hi to everyone!
Love
Susan

Anita said...

I'm in tears as I write this....I'm so happy for Kevin and his accomplishments. He is on his way! Leslie, you have been an inspiration to many with your comments of the day...One day perhaps you'll write a book? You probably feel as if you have already. Your strength & determination is what Kevin (and Breezy) needs, so I am praying for you to stay strong as well. Kevin, keep fighting. Again, I am so thrilled at his progress! Looking forward to hearing more. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, THIS is the day we have all been praying for! Congratulatiohns on Kevin's successes. I know there will be many many more. This is so exciting for all of you and for him as well. Wow, this is just so impressive. The lengths to which is body is going to heal itself. Simply amazing! love ya, paula from armstrong

Anonymous said...

My birthday was the 11th.
77 yrs young. This day the 12th, is truly a blessing.
Hallelujah!
Been reading everyday since Holee mentioned it on HGTV B/B, I am so very happy for you and Kevin and all the family.
See? Prayers do help!!!
God Bless.

blsnow said...

Way to Go Kev!!! Keep up the good work. I knew you could do it.

I'm so happy for you and Breezy. This must have been an amazing day for you guys.

Love all you guys,

Brittany Snow

DeeZee said...

I've got tears in my eyes as I read your entry today! Although I don't comment often, I've been following Kevin's progress daily and pray for him and your family. We're a military family (stationed overseas right now) and I was born in raised in Western PA (born in Kittanning!), so I guess I really am drawn to watching Kevin's progress. Hope to read about all the progress in the days and weeks to come!

Unknown said...

YES!! The last several blogs, have just been wonderful news. I realize each day is still a challenge, but I pray EVERY day brings you, Kevin and Breezy joy and comfort to balance anything that is a set back. The word "HI"...how exquisite is that?!

I am so happy for you, Leslie. please give Breezy a hug from me....and one for Kevin...and a big one for you.

Big Love, Hugs and Prayers. Always

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Kevin, you and Breezy. I can't imagine how excited you all were. I keep you in my prayers. God bless.

Love,
Barbie(DeBacco)Lucas

Jeff said...

Dear Leslie,
I just read Sept 12 and it was all I could do to hold back my tears. I can't tell you how happy I am for Kevin, you and Breezy. This is just wonderful amazing news. Not knowing Kevin personally, but from all I have read about him he is truly an amazing young man and he is fighting his way back GOD BLESS HIM! With the progress you have told us about the possibilities are truly endless as to what Kevin can and will do to regain his independence back. Just think about the things Kevin is able to do now with out having much therapy to date and with therapy Kevin will do amazing things I just know it. I have to say this is some amazing news and I'm so happy for Kevin.
I now know for sure there is a silver lining gracing Kevin.
God bless you all,
Jeff Bernstein

lori said...

what wonderful news!! i feel as if i know all three of you, i am so excited for kevin and you & breezy!!

kevin had a really full day and it sounds like it was just what he needed!!

know that you are still getting lots of thoughts and prayers directed your way!!

enjoy these triumphs, they will help bolster you just as they are kevin. have a wonderful weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I am so very excited to read his first word. "MOM" will be soon! Way to go Kev!! Way to go Leslie & Breezy for being strong and not crying, since Kev might not have understood it was for JOY!!! You are my inspiration!! I am saying daily prayers for all of you!!!!
Love ya'
Anne

Anonymous said...

Holy wow and praise the Lord! As I was reading through this post, my jaw kept dropping lower and lower! Amazing progress! And that's too funny about him wanting his money back. You're being a great coach, not letting him quit until he's accomplished each "mission". :)

Anonymous said...

I think more than anything that you guys got to the right place with the right people to help you, help Kevin come out of the "state" he has been in. These people are the people you needed all along. I have a firm belief that if Kevin has made this much progress in just one week, that the rest will come very easy, with hopefully very little setbacks, if any! And not to mention, Kev has the biggest loudest cheerleaders in the world right beside him daily rooting him on. I strongly believe if Kevin didn't have the support system he has not only with him physically there with him every day, but all over the world and back here at "home" he wouldn't be doing as well. By both of you Breezy and Les, and everyone keeping the "faith" over the past months you have only instilled more faith, confidence and strength in Kevin to succeed in recovering to his fullest capabilities. Everyone loves him and will continue to.

Love,

Sara

Anonymous said...

Should I just day "ditto" to all of the rejoicing in the above posts?

Fabulous!
Megan Slaugenhoup

Joan said...

Wow, just WOW!

I am SO happy to hear such great news, Les. Amazing, truly amazing.

You are such a great mom, and you have two absolutely fabulous kids. Go Kevin, GO!! :-D I'm just dancing around amd wishing I could hug you all.

XO
Joanie

Vicki Chrisman said...

Les.. I am just so overwhelmed reading this .. if it wasnt so late.. I would be calling you right now. I am just so so happy that is was such a wonderful day ,and that Kevin took such HUGE strides!!!! WOW... I'm just thrilled for you all!!!