Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day 106 - Sept 14, 2008

Kevin was very restless today. That makes it hard on all of us - it's just so exhausting watching him go up the bed, then down the bed. I feel so bad for him when he's like this.

But, we had a couple of great things happen again today! First, he now handles the remote for the tv on his own. It's so nice that he can find what he wants to watch and flip through the channels himself. It was so funny because we have been trying to show him how to use it since yesterday and he just wasn't interested. Well today, when the show he was watching was over, he just picked up the remote and just used it like he has always done. Amazing, huh?

He also started shaking/nodding his head for yes and no. I am not 100% sure he knows what he is saying, but it really appears that he does. I will test it out a little more tomorrow as he just wasn't in the best of moods today.

And he is learning another word. We have him saying "thank you" now. Actually, he says "thank" and it follows with a word that is sounding more and more like "you", but it's just not right yet. That's ok though - we have plenty of time, right? I mean, who woulda thought we would come this far in just 2 or 3 days? I just can't wait for the speech pathologist to hear him say "HI" tomorrow. She is gonna be so shocked!

And to change the subject - Holee, I just have to share that Breezy now sleeps with the lights on, lol. There are just too many bugs at the hotel and once you wrote in one of your posts that you used to do that to keep them at bay, she latched on to the idea. I have to kinda laugh, truthfully. Poor thing, lol.

Oh, and you had asked if Kevin still wears the goggles and gets the drops. He does get a lubricant put in his eyes every hour but he refuses to wear the goggles. He takes them off and throws them across the room so we don't even try anymore. He definitely knows what he wants, lol.

11 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Huge leaps! It's just amazing!

Holee said...

Poor Breezy, but it works! You couldn't have gotten me to sleep without the lights on! I also put cotton in the kids ears..ya know how Mom's are! lol

Ya know, when Kev gets antsy like he did today, it could just be a build up from the meds. I get that way about every 6 days from my meds. It makes you feel nervous & jumpy and you just don't know what to do with yourself. Lots of medicine gives you mood swings.

The word he hears most is Kevin..have you tried to get him to say his name? Kev, Ma, Sis..those are the words that would make me smile most!

Good work girls! you've brought him so far already!

Anonymous said...

Im still reading mended wings every day...the daily advances in kevs condition warms my heart.
Best wishes and more prayers comming.

Anonymous said...

A man and his remote! I enjoyed that! I'm with Breezy-lights on!

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Late on reading. Thank you for the picture. What an encouragement. He is still handsome as always. The leap and bounds must be so exciting. Laugh is a great medication. What a joy for a mother that hasn't much of recently. Lord Keep blessing this family and protect Kevin for any complications. THUMBS UP TO ALL.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me that Kevin is doing things his way. I'm sure from the way you talk that is how he always has been....so this is a good sign i would have to say!
A man and his remote...what a beautiful thing!
Take Care!
Randa from Utah

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family. I think Kevin looks pretty amazing after all he has been through. Thank you for sharing your story. I read it every day. I keep praying for you! Stay strong!

Tracey
Pittsburgh, PA

Anonymous said...

Holee beat me to the punch! I can't wait for you to tell us he said your names & his own. I think it's great, tho, that you are making sure he has his manners!! He is probably thanking so many people in his head right now!!! I know we all are. There have been so many people who have helped him and you & Breezy come a LONG way!! I send prayers out everyday for you and the many people who have been there for you!!!
It is so great to read about the fantastic strides Kev has made! It makes my heart skip a beat when I read your blogs!!
Tell Breezy that it is great therapy to sneak into a room and catch the bugs off guard and smash them on the wall!!! Worked for me in the Army town I lived in back in the day!!! LOL!
Love, ya'
Anne

tbehr1018 said...

Leslie,
I've been away for a few days and I couldn't believe what I was reading........WOW!!!! How GREAT is all of this?! GO KEVIN!!! He is finding his way back.

Poor Breezy......Florida is very well known for bugs though. Someone send her some bug spray.......LOL. Hang in there.

Theresa

Anonymous said...

I guess it should be no surprise that using the remote control would be one of the first things a man would re-learn to do! LOL! I can't wait to hear what the speech therapist has to say.
Poor Breezy! That's awful to have to sleep with the lights on because of bugs. Why won't they let her stay with you?

Dee said...

I don't know kevin but we live a few miles from East Brady and I want you to know many of us are still praying for him.He is a very handsome young man and I pray for you as well and hope things work out. God bless him!