Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 103 - Sept 11, 2008

Kevin finally had his trach removed today! Hurray!! This is just one more step toward recovery!

And he didn't have a fever at all today so we are in the clear on that. Boy, I was so worried about infection! I guess it was just a fluke.

Kevin isn't tolerating the chair very well here though. His blood pressure goes through the roof each time he is in it. I know he has some new bone growth in his right hip so I am wondering if that is the problem. I talked to the doc about it tonight so we are going to look into that further tomorrow.

We were also using these plastic cones to get Kevin to take one out of my hand and put it on top of a pile of them in the therapist's hand. We move my hand and the therapist's hands to different locations to check for depth perception and just general arm usage. He was able to do it very well, he must have put at least 30 on the pile no matter where we moved it to, but the therapist does believe that Kevin has double vision in his right eye. He hasn't been tested, but she believes it to be true.

And unfortunately we didn't get to eat today either. The Speech Pathologist was in meetings all day so it was a 'no go'. What a bummer! Tomorrow though, surely...

Oh - and you will never believe where all of our stuff was sent to from TX? It was supposed to have been shipped here and you guessed it - it is now in my apartment in PA! Whole lotta good that's gonna do us in Florida, huh?

Going to bed now. I will answer questions tomorrow, although I do want to tell Brenda that I did get the cat you sent. That is the cutest thing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO INFECTION!

that made me really happy to read tonight, it worried me last night but that goes to show that if you have hope anything can happen!!

Jan said...

I'm glad to see you showing a sense of humor over your stuff being shipped home. I bet your first reaction wasn't so friendly though. LOL

Good news on the trach, Kevin has come such a long way!

Anonymous said...

No trach...no infection ...great news !!!Every day brings such exciting updates and i'm sure there are many more to come.Humor;
definitely the only way to deal with your stuff being sent to wrong
location (probably not so funny at first...i bet a man was in charge of shipping the stuff...lol)
praying Kevin gets to sample the food today !!!

Anonymous said...

What great news!!! I'm so happy that you are just one more step ahead.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh.. man.. bummer about your stuff being sent to PA! Good Grief.. hope that gets straightened out quickly.
Glad to see things are rolling now as far as therapy with Kevin!
Sending you hugs and thinking of you Les!

Jodi said...

YAY!!! No fever!! YAY!!! No more trach!! Okay, Kev, this is your chance! Show us what you're made of...say SOMETHING, ANYTHING to your mom and sister!!!

That sucks about your personal items! Well, at least they arrived to your home, and not somewhere else in the country!

Here is to a great day today!!!!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and lots of love for all of you!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Holee said...

My wheelchair has a gel-cell cushion. I need a hip replacement and can't tolerate sitting in anything without it.

You can get them from abledata.com. They have them for every kind of pressure need.

Anonymous said...

Great news about Kevin! Not so great about your stuff. :( Like you need one more problem to worry about. I'm glad you're not in Texas anymore, though, with that storm blowing through. I'll be praying about the chair and for you getting your stuff shipped to the right place. One day at a time, you're all getting through this, and that's why the Lord instructs us to pray for our Daily Bread, not our monthly bread, as He gives us enough strength for that day. It's a lesson I'm still learning! ;)