Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day 115 - Sept 23, 2008

Oh my gosh! Y'all will not believe what Kevin did today!!

First, you have to watch this video. It was filmed by Moe the night before Kevin left for Basic Training. We had just went to Olive Garden for Kev's last dinner and were on the way home from Pittsburgh and if you have seen the movie "Wayne's World" - you will understand. The poor guy in the center is Moe's son, Mathew. Breezy on left and Kev on right.



So anyway, now that you see how goofy we are, lol - all the kids were visiting tonight (Breezy, Anthony, Matt, Chrissy and Drew) and they put the same song on the stereo. Well...didn't Kevin start singing (making noises) right along with the CD and he was even playing air guitar and making hand notions like he did in the video. And even more - he head banged at the appropriate part too! The kids called me in disbelief and when I got back to the hospital - Kevin did it for me too! I am telling you - he is truly still my son! I was even able to look at pictures of Kevin tonight from before the Army and I didn't even cry! That's because I am not feeling the loss anymore - he is still here! And I gotta be honest - I didn't think I would ever see him again. I really didn't!

Man, I love my kids!

And in further news...Kevin does see and know his colors. We tested this out today. I know it's common for TBI patients to see in black and white, but Kevin was able to pick out the correct colors each time he was asked.

He also knows his numbers, but he can't seem to get any letters or words right. He is able to pick out pictures now when we ask him to, so great strides have been made.

And today he ate Turtle cheesecake for lunch. And boy was he mad at the speech pathologist when she took it away from him. The poor woman...he is always so frustrated with her. I guess that's normal for her though.

And rest assured - our perv roommate was removed today. I believe they actually took him to the psych ward. I do feel bad for him, but I just won't risk my son or myself out of pity for the guy. Nope. He is GONE! (and I loved the geriatric strip tease comment too, lol)

So now I will get to a few more questions:

Debbie, Kevin can have anything sent to him at the address listed at the top of the page. He gets excited when he gets a letter so he will love a care package. You would have laughed to see his face light up the other day when an organization brought in a gift bag full of little things. He pulled everything out and looked it all over. And please have Josh tell everyone "HI" from Kevin!

Linda, you asked about why he has pain on the tilt table...I think it's just his not having used any of those muscles for 4 months now. He has to start all over and it's even harder when his right side doesn't work as it should.

We did find out today that Kev's right shoulder is starting to separate. We will be starting some kind of electro thing tomorrow. I will let y'all know what it's all about then.

Brenda, I didn't actually think about the circles being bigger on the dominoes. If you don't mind - send them along. We would really appreciate it!

Holee, we did try typing today with Kevin, but he just can't comprehend what he is seeing in terms of letters. I am hoping that will change down the road, but it's nothing I am going to be too concerned about yet.

Larry, I am so glad your son returned to Italy safely. I hope he (and all the rest of our guys/gals) remains safe and sound!

And that sums up today's post. I am whooped and going to bed early.

20 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU RIGHT NOW LES!!!
Fantastic news all around!! Woo Hoo!

Jan said...

Oh my. If he's knows numbers, he's got to have the capacity to re-learn letters, doesn't he? Reading is such a basic necessity for an adult, it's exciting to realize he's going to get that skill back.

Jan said...

P.S., just watched the video. It's not normally part of my day to laugh that hard at 6:30 am. It distracted me and I forgot to go get my daughter up for school. She thanks you. LOL

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS!!! Thank you sharing with everyone. Kevin your a true blessing.

Jodi said...

Hey!!!
It is 5:30am and I am laughing my butt off from the video, and crying tears of joy because Kevin "is still here" in your words Leslie!!!
YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
I could never express to you how happy I am for all 3 of you, and for the rest of us, out here, rooting and pulling for you all!!!
What AWESOME news this morning!!!
WOW!!! Okay, gotta go watch the video again! Thanks Moe and Leslie for sharing it with us!!!!!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength and positive thoughts for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all our military personnel.
Big hugs and kisses and lots of love for all of you!!!!!
Love ya!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, you just had to make me cry this morning, didn't you?

Yipee! You and Kevin made my day.

Hugs,

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Wow yesterday was a great day!!!!
Keep up the great work and 3 cheers to Kevin for his fight for life.
I hope you received pictures I sent of Howard "the duck" if you remember him and Rick from the video store. We miss you there in town. If not let me know because the pictures will give you a smile. Take care Keep Fighting.

Lorraine

Anonymous said...

I love your family! That video was fantastic.....Kevin & Breezy are a riot (pooooor Mathew) LOL
Kevin is quite a guy. He certainly is a fighter. With you and Breezy by his side, I'm sure he will just keep improving each and every day.
Of course you know what song will be banging around in my head all day.

Jocelyn

Unknown said...

Leslie,

I'll be glad to..Might even throw in a couple of other surprises for Kevin as well..

Do you want me to send them to you or to Kevin at the hospital ?

Brenda

Holee said...

I know Kev will get the letters. Just playing around with typing might make a connect just like he couldn't brush his teeth and then he could.

Great that he had sounds with the music..he has it stored somewhere and eventually the sounds and the words will come together.

The holidays are coming but I feel like I'm experiencing a Christmas Miracle just watching Kevin coming back.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have that song in my head all day! LOL! You guys would fit right in with my goofy family. :) Somehow, a BTI patient doing head-banging just doesn't sound right, but it's awesome that he did it!

I'll be praying about Kevin's shoulder and that he would soon recognize letters and words. I just know that's going to happen eventually!

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing and outstanding family. They video was great to watch. I am so happy that kevin is responding to everything so well. Do you guys get to watch the steeler games down there. does Kevin like the steelers. I am trying to put something together for Kevin and will send it down soon. I am so pround of Kevin. Lori from Pittsburgh

lori said...

leslie,

i am so glad that God is giving glimpses of the old kevin to you. what a blessinga dn a thrill for you i loved the video, thanks for sharing your personal journey with all of us, even though you don't know us, i feel like i know you. i check your blog everyday and pray for all of you.

in fact, i was sharing kevin's story with some ladies last night at scrapbook club. i asked them to pray for kevin when they think of their friends & family serving in the war.

may today be another day filled with blessings to overflowing.

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled with Kevin's progress, but it is just as much of a blessing to "hear" the joy in your words. I hope every day just gets better and better for all of you!
Love, Chris Stimac

Anonymous said...

Les:
It's just like the movie!! What a bunch of cut-ups! I am so glad you still have your Kev! I have been praying for the day you would be able to tell us this great news!!
Luv,
Anne

Unknown said...

That video really made my day. That video was priceless. I was laughing so hard. And ya know that boy is still right with you being a clown. He is truly a hero in more ways that one. And you children are so very lucky to have you. You are a remarkable woman as well. So I can send care packages. What all kinds of things does he really like snack wise and does he have a DVD player in his room. By the video I can certainly tell what kind of movies he likes. Please send our love and prayers to all of you. Tell Kevin thanks for the laugh!
Love
Debbie

Jeff said...

Hi Leslie,
I haven't been here for a few days and WOW what excitement in the last two days. Kevin's progress is just wonderful and nothing short of miraculous. Kevin is indeed a fighter as proven by his progress, just fantastic news.
Of course your motherly love and support have been a great motivator for Kevin. I'm so happy for you all. Indeed there is a silver lining binding you all together.
God bless,
Jeff Bernstein

Anonymous said...

Les, Good job you three. There isn't anything that you guys can't do. I just think you guys have all worked so hard and each day thee is a blessing for you. Miss ya and I loved the video. Love ya, Pam

Anonymous said...

Lisa Kerner Hitchings**Cody and Cory and all Kev's Creekside buddies say HI, they are so proud of Kevin and the progress he has made. They say if anyone could beat all odds, Kev can!We love you all and miss you!Lisa, Jon, Cody, and Cory Hitchings

Anonymous said...

Leslie --
Loved reading the news, loved the video of your kids singing Queen. What a great day! Thanks for sharing the awesome news.
Thinking of you daily-
Megan Slaugenhoup