Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 903 - Nov 18, 2010

We went to the VA today to pick up Kevin's new wheelchair. We ended up having to leave it though because the arm rest on this one comes up and turns to allow a side transfer and Kevin needs it to stay locked into position so that he can use it to stabilize himself while getting up. They are hoping to come up with a way to pin it into place.

While we were there, Kevin picked out a scooter for use while at amusement parks and other places that require a lot of walking. Kevin was not thrilled with the idea before we got there, but as soon as he walked in and saw this 4 wheel one he was like "oh yeah". He got on the thing and took off for a nice ride. The prosthetics guy walked with him and said Kevin did a fantastic job and he had no qualms getting Kevin this model.

The cool thing about it? It breaks down into 4 parts - none of them more than 18 pounds so I can just tear it apart and put it in the car. Way cool, huh? I don't know how long it will take to get it, but I hope it's soon. We want to go back to Six Flags for the Christmas show and I cannot push him around like I did the last time.

Anyway, they have to rewire it for a left handed driver and make the seat swivel to the left too for Kevin to disembark. It's really amazing the things that can be done to help the physically challenged live better lives, isn't it?

And we got the keys to the new place today. He isn't charging us rent until the first, but this gives me time to get things moved slowly. I also have to have the VA put in a temporary ramp to the front door. It's already been discussed and they are working on it. I realize that Kevin doesn't continually use his chair anymore, but at least it will be there for those times when he does need to.

So hopefully all of these things work out. It would be a nice change, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely! :) I hope you enjoy your new place! It will be such a relief to not have to think about the elevator issues anymore.
Take care and have a great weekend!
Kathy in IA

GrannieEv said...

Nice things happening - good. Have Breezy and Chris picked out any fav colors for the baby? I found the prettiest handmade blankets on Etsy and ordered 1 for my new g- daughter (1st girl after 4 boys)and they brought her home in it. I'd like to send down one for your grandbaby (g-son, right?)

Anonymous said...

I don't know you guys at all (possibly like many others who read your blog) - but, I wanted to say that I am truly touched by your story, by your strength, and by your love of family. I only know of you by the article in the St. Pete Times when Kevin landed at TIA & got his much deserved hero's welcome home! You give me my daily smile when something goes great for you - and you make me remember appreciate and love and honor more than I had before your story came into my heart. Much love & luck to all of you!!! Congrats on the new place & Woo Hoo for the new ride :)

Sincerely,
Michelle Carey
New Port Richey, FL