Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 1123 - Jun 26, 2011

Today we went to dinner for my birthday. Breezy, Chris and Christian came as did Kendra, Anthony and Kendra's brother, Troy. We had a good time and we are hoping to do it more often. Here are a couple of photos:




Kevin also had another visitor today. Her name is Ann and she was just assigned to the 173rd. She drove down for the reunion today and had to head back to Houston to report for duty. Here's a pic of her and Kev:



So going backward, Thursday was crazy busy as well. We had an appt with the Bioness rep to get Kevin fixed up with his new leg brace. We were with her about an hour and she wasn't able to get it to work the way the last person could. When Kevin was in the gait lab a while back he was able to walk almost like nothing had ever happened. This time he was hyper-extending and when we came home and he went to wear it the first day he said it was too painful and has refused to wear it again. I will be calling the doc about it tomorrow.

We followed that with a speech therapy evaluation. I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was with this. Kevin knew pretty much everything he was asked. He couldn't come up with the word "flag" when pointing to items in a picture and having to name them, but he rocked the whole session otherwise. Matter of fact, amazingly enough - Kevin even SAID his address (although he didn't have all of the house numbers right the first time)! I was shocked. I had not taught him this. I can only assume he has heard me say this so many times on the phone when having nurses, therapists, etc come to our home.

Next on our agenda was OT. Not much was really said there, but the therapist is thinking about changing Kevin's arm and hand braces. Unfortunately, due to her schedule and ours, we can't fit in any therapy for about a month.

After we were all done at the hospital, we hightailed it downtown to the Hilton to meet up with Butch and other members of the 173rd. We had a really great time and it was wonderful to see how Kevin reacted to everyone.

While we were there though, Breezy called and the baby was running a fever. She wanted us to go with her to the hospital so we left the reunion and ran to the hospital. Christian still feels a bit sick and Breezy may end up taking him back to the docs tomorrow.

We finally got home and by then I was so tired I went to bed by like 2am - very early for me. Breezy brought Christian over at 7:30ish the next morning and I ended up having to hold him all day long - like 8 hours. As I mentioned the other day, when Breezy got home from work I hurried and took a shower and then Kevin and I went back downtown for the BBQ at the reunion. Kendra, Anthony and Troy met us there and we all sat and ate together. It was another great evening and I am so glad that Butch let us know about it.

And to wrap this up, here are a couple of photos from the BBQ. I forgot my camera card for my camera so I had to use my phone so they aren't the best quality:




Notice the bookbag on the back of Kevin's wheelchair? How nice it is not to have major poundage hanging on my arm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a hectic weekend for sure. Hope your birthday celebration was a good one. Praying that little guy feels better soon. I'm waiting on grandchild #6 and I've learned that they all seem to feel better in grandma's arms when they are sick.
Aunt Mona

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Leslie! :) It sounds like you had a good time! I'm glad Kevin did so well with his speech therapy. Also knowing his address was extra exciting! :)
Hope Christian is feeling better soon.
Take care and hopefully things will settle down soon. You guys have been going non stop.
Kathy in IA

Butch said...

Thanks for sharing your time with us at the reunion. You guys made my day! Say hi to Kendra and Anthony for me. I just wish we could have spent more time together, but I want to do like you said and meet for lunch one day. I hope that Kevin's Herd brothers keep you both in the loop from now on. And don't ever hesitate to call on one of us for anything you need. Don't forget the power of the Patch and keep that drive-on rag handy.
Love you guys,
Butch