Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 1098 - Jun 1, 2011

So yesterday Kevin and I had a good day. We went to BAMC and spent hours at the place where it all started stateside three years ago. We visited the burn clinic and neurosurgery to show them how great Kevin's head looks since having the fat graft done.

We then had a late lunch in the dining facility and followed that with a visit to 4East - the burn ward. We just love everyone up there and had a great visit.

We left the hospital at rush hour so we decided to hit the PX store on base and waste some time. Kevin has lost some weight lately (and the liposuction helped some) so he picked up some new jeans and a few other little things. I have to admit to being surprised. Kevin NEVER wears clothes that aren't from either Pac Sun, Hot Topic or CCS.

After that, I surprised Kevin with a massage appointment. He had never had one and I thought he might like the feeling. Of course, he wanted to listen to Atreyu while it was going on, but I talked him into going with the full experience (relaxing music) and he played along. When we left I asked him how his body felt and said he didn't really see a difference. I don't know if it's because he wouldn't really know what the difference would be or if it's because he doesn't have much feeling in the right side of his body. I guess there's no way I'll ever know, but I am aware of the fact that massage is good for both his burns and for the weakened muscles.

I was determined to not allow yesterday to be a bad day. Yes, I had my moments, but mostly I kept it all upbeat and tried to make Kevin's day enjoyable.

We really are lucky and I'm back to feeling it!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You two deserve some good days! Make that many good days.

Grief is such a mercurial process, isn't it? You never know what emotions you might be feeling on any given day. I'm glad you were able to work through some things this weekend by watching the slideshow. It was heartbreaking and yet full of hope at the same time. Who knows what new technology may bring? I'm excited about the Bioness brace and hope Kevin's able to get one soon.

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.