Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 1108 - Jun 11, 2011

Today was a pretty rough day. It started out ok as we were going to go to the Texas Folklife Festival. We had plans - Breezy, Chris and Christian were going and I invited Kendra and Anthony too (from Kevin's unit).

Well, we were really looking forward to it and when we went to load the scooter into the car - it wouldn't work. It was fully charged, but it just wouldn't go. I researched online how to fix it; I tore it apart a couple of times, reset the master switch, played with levers and buttons - all to no avail.

Unfortunately - this all just ticked Kevin off big time.

After this - he flat out refused to go and that was that. I told him it was no big deal and that I would push him in his wheelchair (although that would have been hard in that environment, but I was willing to do it), but he would not budge from his room.

So we didn't go. Once again - we sat home while others still went and enjoyed themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad they all went and had a good time, but damnit! I am getting real tired of MY life passing me by.

Honestly, I would be real patient with this if I thought it was the brain injury - but I don't. I think it's just Kevin being a spoiled little brat. When he doesn't get his way, he sometimes acts like he's four years old and frankly, I am getting very frustrated with it. Haven't I already done this once?!!

Well, I guess it is what it is and I just need to find a solution somehow. Maybe I should watch that Super Nanny show, but somehow I can't see 5 foot Leslie forcing 6 foot Kevin into a naughty chair. And I sure can't send him to his room cause he's love that!

Ideas anyone?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,oh my gosh, I'm sorry you were having trouble getting Kevin to cooperate, but I couldn't help smile when you mentioned the naughty chair. ha That's too bad about the chair. I wonder what happened? Did you end up getting it to work? Is the festival on today too? If it is maybe he has cooled down now and would be willing to go? Depending on how long they were there yesterday, maybe the other kids would want to go again as well?
I hope you have a great Sunday! Maybe the chair won't act up and you can do something else that might be going on?
Anyway, take care, we continue to pray for all of you!
Kathy in IA

Tracey from Pgh. said...

Maybe he needs to be told how much he is affecting your life by acting like a child. Have you said anything to him? Does he see how upset you are or do you hide it from him?

Clearbluewater3 said...

perhaps by giving him two choices (both of which you can deal with) will help him feel in control. For example, Kevin you can either come with us to the Folk Festival or come with me to the mall/movies/water park/walmart. That way you still get to leave the house and do something and he gets to feel like hes in control. I can only imagine how hard it must be for both of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I LIKE Clearwaterblue's comment, but I would change it a little.
I would give Kevin two options, as mentioned, BUT, how about First option he has is to go with everyone to the Festival, or wherever you Really want him to go, and Second option, would be something that Isn't such a good choice, like, the grocery store, or bank,or doctor's appt with you. SOMETHING that he would Not want to do and therefore, he would choose the option that YOU want to do in the first place, cause it sounds better than whatever option you give as a second choice.
That way, he is choosing what you want him to do, while still thinking it is HIS choice.

Jessica said...

Aw, that's so disappointing about the scooter! I hope someone is able to get it running again. I don't blame you for being ticked off and frustrated. Especially after the disappointment of not getting a spot in the writers' conference. That really sucks!!

Hope today was better. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Pattie Matheson said...

You know, I've had that feeling about Kevin's temper tantrums for a while now. I'm assuming that he's clear of the over-stimulating times since you haven't mentioned that in ages. You've been walking a very fine line for years now and perhaps it's time Kevin learns he can't always have his way just because of his injuries. Your mental and physical health are important too.

Speaking of which, how is that going?
~P~