Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 291 - Mar 18, 2009

Today was kinda a frustrating day. First, Kevin was kinda grumpy because he didn't get much sleep last night. It turns out that he had called the nurse for something and nobody came. I am told that it really upset him and he was restless for the rest of the night. I have to admit - that makes me mad. I allowed the sitters to be canceled (actually I requested it) knowing that the nurses would respond when called and I told the head nurse today that if a nurse is busy and nobody can back her up and check on a patient, then we will put the sitters back and they can just sit in the hallway until needed.

It's actually sad because the same thing happened yesterday afternoon and I really thought that that would be the end of it. Yesterday I called Kevin and told him that I was on my way up to get him and he needed to call the nurse and get in his chair. Well, he called the nurse, but nobody ever showed up. So, Kevin took it upon himself to transfer to the chair on his own and he spilled his water everywhere and it's just amazing that he didn't fall on all the water on the floor. The even more aggravating thing is that they wanted to start using the bed alarm and I told them 'no'. Why should Kevin be penalized because the nurses can't back each other up? I don't think he should feel like a jailed criminal if he moves too much on the bed. The only thing that needs to happen is that the nurses need to respond when Kevin (or anybody) pushes the call button. I think it's just crazy that if someone is in need - and it could be an emergency - too often nobody even bothers to show up.

So I did talk to the head nurse, but I really don't expect a change. I did tell her that if it happens one more time the sitters will resume and I don't care what it costs. I guess we'll see what happens, huh?

And on other frustrating events - I went the whole way out to MacDill Air Force Base for my appt to meet with JAG and I wasn't even allowed to talk to anyone. It turns out you need a military ID to talk to a military attorney and that's something I just don't have. So I wasted the whole afternoon (it's almost an hour away) and left Kevin alone while he wasn't feeling that great for absolutely nothing. Grrrr!

So once I got back I told Kevin we were out of there and we loaded up and went to my parents' place. We aren't going back until tomorrow morning because we both really needed to get away.

Now he is sound asleep and I think I am going to go scrapbook for a little while.

Oh - I forgot - Kevin got his first Botox treatment in his arm today. Hopefully we will see a change as early as tomorrow!


Long-time RN said...

Plenty to be frustrated about, Leslie. Most unsettling to read Kevin's call light goes unanswered. Just confirms what we read on how short-staffed these hospitals are. Thankfully he didn't fall getting into his chair. Ugh. Hope this is resolved in a way in which you feel comfortable about Kevin's safety.

Now, wouldn't you think someone would have mentioned a military ID would be necessary when the JAG appointment was made?? Heck no, that would make too much sense.

Hope you both had a relaxing evening. Thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

Some frustrations but overall, I think things are going along really well for Kevin! I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

When Kevin had his plate put in, you said that his head looked more rounded because it was swollen. From the pictures, it looks like his head is nicely rounded. So, could you explain this a bit - I mean, is Kevin's head still swollen?

Also, what will the Botox do for Kevin's arm?


Love and hugs,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Day 291 - Mar 18, 2009

Anonymous said...

hey its me wayne, Im really glad to see that kevin is being to strong willed no fear kid he had always been...i need to see you guys this is killing me just one week i miss him so to you very soon..miss you guys..

Jessica said...

That's scary that Kevin isn't getting his nurse calls answered. What are they thinking? I'd be upset, too.

What a shame you drove all that way for nothing! How are you going to be able to talk to someone?

I hope you got some scrapping time in and relaxed a little. I'll be praying that the nurse situation gets worked out quickly. You're in my thoughts and prayers.