Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 415 - Jul 18, 2009

Kevin and I went to Riverfest tonight and we had such a blast. It was enjoyable watching him interact with his friends and so far I think everyone is handling the changes in him pretty well.

And after we left the field, we actually went to Allstars - a bar. I was so sure we would be leaving within ten minutes because of the noise and the people, but that boy proved me wrong. To be honest - I couldn't get him to leave for about 2 hours and even then he was angry that we had to go. I was proud of him too, because he mainly had soda, but he really enjoyed seeing his friends and dancing and just being that goofy Kevin. Here are some photos:




Did I mention that he stayed there 2 hours? I couldn't believe it!! And he looks so normal in these photos, doesn't he?

And I am sure some of you have already seen the Pittsburgh Post Gazette today - they are running articles both tomorrow and Monday about various parts of our lives. Mike (journalist) and Rebecca (photographer) from the PPG, actually came down to Florida and spent three days with us a week or so ago learning all of the facets of our daily lives. We had an absolute blast while they were with us because they are both just such wonderful people. I can only hope the PPG sends them again, lol! (not to interview us - just for vacation, lol)

Oh and before I forget - someone said one day about that they could tell I was taking a photography class because the pics that day were so great, lol - I have to admit that the professional Rebecca actually took those ones. Darn. I really chuckled over that comment, but never got around to mentioning that they weren't taken by me.

We also went down to the airport today and picked up Rigney, one of Kevin's comrades - starting on Kevin's very first day in the Army - two years ago exactly tomorrow, the 19th. Fitting huh? His Purple Heart is being awarded on the exact date that he left for Basic.

Anyway, Rigney said he remembers so well sitting down at in-processing next to a kid with all this long black hair. Those two went through everything together - Basic, AIT, jump school, Germany and Afghanistan. Rigney was also there the day of the attack. He is such a great guy and I'm glad he is here with us.

And now I need to get to bed because tomorrow is such a big day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a great time and that Kevin wanted to stay so long! :) I bet Kevin was happy to see Rigney too! That's wonderful that he will be with all of you.
Enjoy your day today! Can't wait for pictures!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

How very cool! It is so amazing how one day you are full of dread and the next day, whatever you are fretting about just kinda of turns around. Maybe the power of prayer; maybe Kevin can read you like a book. You guys have become so close and he so dependent, I think he "knows" what you are feeling without you ever saying a word.

Have great fun. It is THE day. Hopefully Western PA weather will cooperate with you. It was soooo cold yesterday - highs in the 60s- very unusual for us.

I have to run to the Burgh to catch up on some work. I hope that I make it to Brady at 5 pm for the ceremony. If I don't get there physically, I will be thinking of Kevin. I bet it is going to be a beautiful thing and there won't be a dry eye in the place.

Congratulations, Kevin!

Thank you Leslie for sharing so much of your life with us.

Anonymous said...

From a distance, to hear Kevin's "thanks" as he stood in front of the podium was very moving.

I stood by the Kevin Kammerdiener Skate Park and could overhear a lot of the comments coming from a lot of young people, as they stood inside the park, peering through the fence.

My pictures are from too far away but I video taped the guns shooting off.

Glad the rain held out, unlike the drenching downpour of the parade.

Congrats Kevin. We are so very proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Kevin was amazing and the ceremony was very moving. I also got to meet you Leslie.
I took pictures from the side of the stage and will send them to your email address. They are from a weird angle but they still tell the story.
I stood with the group of veterans that came on their motorcycles. Young and old - and it was so amazing that most of the people there did not know Kevin and were there to show their support. It was so very touching.

So, how long will you be in PA? Did Kevin handle everything okay? Please tell Breezy she looked beautiful.

Thanks you all made my day!

From Ford City

Lorraine said...

It was great seeing you at All Stars and catching up. The ceremony was very moving. It was put together wonderfully. Kevin did an awesome job. Will send you my pictures when I get developed. I hope your picture comes out with all of us and Howard "the duck". Take care safe trip back to FL
Lorraine, Rick and Howard "the duck"

Lorraine said...

Do you need Post Gazette papers from tomorrow Monday for the 2nd part I can get them and run them to Brady for you it would be no problem. My email is lorrainesch@myway.com I'll check in morning and can get them tomorrow. Lorraine

Jessica said...

I'm looking forward to hearing how Kevin's ceremony went. I'm glad Riverfest went so well and that you got to enjoy yourselves for a couple of hours. How cool that Kevin's army buddy could come to his ceremony!

Enjoy the rest of your visit! I'll be thinking of you both and keeping you in my prayers.