Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 405 - Jul 8, 2009

Today was such a very long day. I had a meeting at the hospital with the whole team so that we could resolve some issues that we are having. The first one being the neurosurgeon situation. Y'all remember that I am not happy with the neurosurgeons at the VA hospital so we discussed us going out and finding a neurosurgeon in the Tampa community, not associated with the VA hospital. I should have a list very soon of neurosurgeons in the area for me to 'look into'.

The second issue is therapies. I think I have already touched base on the fact that Kev just can't tolerate back to back therapies and we are going to start going elsewhere for OT, PT and Speech. I stood firm and hopefully we can start going to the new place by Monday.

I also had a little breakdown today because I left Kevin's driver's license lapse. This was very hard for me to do. It's not easy to see your son lose even more of his independence and I HATE the fact that is was me that had to take that away from him. It really just isn't fair that my son is 21 years old and will probably never be able to drive himself anywhere.

We also discussed Kevin's pain issues and we are going to take another cat-scan to make sure everything is looking okay up there and then we will know better if we need to adjust his meds or whatever.

And getting back to the home health aides...we have an aide come in in the mornings to help Kevin get a shower and put his burn garments on and so far I am not doing too well with it, lol. I am trying to learn to allow her to do the work, but it's so hard to do after having done it myself for so long. I have this little routine of sorts and I keep stepping around her to do it.

We also have a man come in the evenings so that I can get out for a little bit, but I won't leave until I know that Kevin is comfortable with him. I did tell Kevin I was going shopping tomorrow night and he seemed okay with it, but tomorrow will tell. I struggle with him as much as I do with her - I am just not used to having someone in my house and doing things I always do. I'm working on it though and I will get used to it, lol.

And now I am just going to touch on some of the comments/questions about the pool.

I am aware that a fence needs to be put up, but it can't be done ASAP because they still need to get the trucks in there. The pool is still being built and I assure you - no one is seeing this old body in a bathing suit so a fence is a necessity!

As for the screen enclosure - that is also ordered, but the screen does not protect you from the sun - just the bugs and alligators.

And now I am off to just lay here and do nothing...

5 comments:

Evette Houghton said...

I have to say GOD BLESS YOU! My daughter Heather Houghton and my new Son-In-Law Brandon Moe were with your son in Afghanistan. As a mother I can say I can sympathize with you...but I know I have no idea how you have felt through all of this. Hearing from Heather after the accident I was besides myself with worry. I can not imagine what stress, worry and other feelings you have been through. Jack and I will be praying for Kevin and the rest of your family.

Thank your Hero for us. Thank him for serving our country and serving it well!!!!

Long-time RN said...

Lots of changes and challenges. Sure hope you find docs and a therapy facility you and Kevin are comfortable with and all provide Kevin with excellent care. Good to read of the CT scan and hope the results show no new issues.

It's not easy letting other provide the care you're so accustomed to providing daily. Hope the aides work out and you'll be able to take advantage of 'free' time now and then.

Guess that's alot of hopes, and they're sent along with prayers for your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Les,

Good going with the pool...it certainly does not happen overnight...we had almost 50 days of RE-DOING our pool!!! What a grueling process!! Pool foundation, electrical work, cement, water, fencing, landscaping, etc...When it is done, Kevin will be so pleased. It will certainly help him regain strength and mobility. While it is a great responsibility to have the pool, please know that this will give him such freedom and encouragement!!!

I am so pleased at his progress...who would have ever thought he would come so far!!!! What a blessing, and what a daily reminder of how special each and every moment is!!!

He is the one who gives the rest of us the reason to continue on...no matter what...

Also, he, and the many other brave young men and women, give us the ability to live in the U.S....the most special gift ever!!!

I miss you, and will see you, again, soon...

Kristen M.

The Rock said...

Leslie , I just got done catching up with your Blog . So much was going on in your life ! Wow < Kevin is 21,and Breezy 25 . You did a great Job as a Mom ! And I guess we all wonder sometimes " Where did the Years go?" But one thing is for sure. What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger ! I think you should give yourself a pad on the back ! You are a wonderful Military Mom !
Hang in there
Hugs
Petra
Soldiers Angel

Jessica said...

My goodness, you certainly have been busy. Hope you can get all the things sorted out with a new neurosurgeon. If nothing else, it will be good to get another opinion outside the VA. Will Kevin's medical coverage cover a civilian hospital?

It sounds like you're doing a great job getting Kevin the best care you can. Take care! As always, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.