Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 413 - Jul 16, 2009

Kevin did so well again on the flight. I was really worried because this flight was just full of kids, but he really handled it well. I have to admit that it wasn't as 'fun' as the last flight, but how could it be, right? LOL!

And I wish I had the energy to write more, but I just don't. We have traveled all day and we also had a run-through of the ceremony to make sure Kevin could get up on the stage.

So now I am going to do something I haven't ever done before. The Wounded Warrior Project is asking for help to get legislation passed to help people like me earn a living while taking care of our family member, as opposed to losing everything we have worked our whole lives for. I am going to copy the email and paste it here in the hopes that some of you can take the time to send a letter to your Congressman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WWP NEEDS YOU TO MAKE THREE CALLS TODAY TO HELP PASS LEGISLATION TO ASSIST OUR MOST SEVERELY WOUNDED WARRIORS AND THEIR FAMILIES!!!

Background: WWP’s top priority this year is for Congress to pass legislation to establish a national program to compensate, train and provide ongoing supports to family caregivers of our most severely wounded warriors. Our advocacy helped win introduction of landmark legislation in both the Senate and House of Representatives to establish a family caregiver assistance program for these warriors. While the Senate bill (S801) won committee support and could come to a full Senate vote in the coming weeks, the House of Representatives version of the legislation has not gained needed momentum, and is being overtaken by a much weaker bill that DOES NOT include Caregiver Compensation. Compensation is the most vitally needed area of support for these families and must be included in any caregiver support measure.

YOUR HELP is needed to build support for this critical House bill and thereby help win passage of the strongest possible caregiver legislation this year.

Action: We urge you to contact key Representatives and your individual Representative by:

1. Calling their offices today, and again during Family-Caregiver National Call-InWeek, July 20 through 24; AND

2. Sending a letter to your Congressman. You can use or adapt the text of a sample letter on our website at www.woundedwarriorproject.org/caregivers

Calling your Representative:

1. Call Congressman Bob Filner (D-SD), Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs at (202) 225-8045 and using the talking Points below ask that Chairman Filner ensure that family caregiver COMPENSATION is included in the Caregiver Support legislation that will be approved by the Veterans Affairs Committee.

2. Call Congressman Michael Michaud (D- ME), Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Subcommittee on Health at 202-225-6306 and using the talking points below ask that Representative Michaud ensure that family caregiver COMPENSATION is included in the Caregiver Support legislation that will be approved by the Veterans Affairs Committee.

3. Find your Representative by zip code: http://www.house.gov/zip/ZIP2Rep.html.

4. Call the US Capitol Switchboard, 202-224-3121, and ask to speak with your Representative’s office.

5. Using the Talking Points, below, ask that the Representative to co-sponsor HR 2342.

Talking Points:

1. I am a wounded warrior (family caregiver of a wounded warrior/ concerned citizen), etc.] and I’m calling to ask that Representative _____ take immediate action to provide family caregivers of severely wounded warriors with COMPENSATION, health care coverage and respite opportunities to sustain the care these warriors are receiving.

2. Family members whose loved ones are severely injured in Iraq or Afghanistan have given up jobs, lost health coverage and other benefits, and depleted savings to provide them full-time care. They have often taken on this burden without any help from VA, despite the emotional, physical, and financial strain caregiving takes.

3. We must IMMEDIATELY provide these supports or my fellow wounded warriors will end up nursing homes and institutionalized for the remainder of their lives.

4. I hope wounded warriors and their families can count on Rep. _____ to take up this call for action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow night Kevin is in the Riverfest parade so if anyone is in the area - we hope to see you there!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, good, I'm so glad your flight went well and hope the parade goes even better! Kevin must be so excited now that he's actually there and it's all coming together.

I'll get to work on the phone calls tomorrow. It sounds like very important and much needed legislation. Calling my representatives is the least I can do for our American heroes.

Take care. I'll be thinking of you and Kevin this weekend and praying for his stamina to hold up so he can really enjoy the festivities.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I have already written congressmen and senators voicing my opinion of the treatment of veterans both wounded and unwounded. In 6 days it will be my 25th anniversary serving veterans. I do it PROUDLY and PASSIONATELY. I am not a veteran myself but after these years feel like I am. There is no better cause than the American veteran.

And all should remember,as I have written before, sent to me in a very touching email. . .only two defining forces have offered to die for you . .Jesus Christ and the American soldier . .one died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

God bless you Kevin! Welcome home! You make Western PA proud!

Linda said...

Leslie and Kevin,
I am so glad to hear you made it home safely. There was a very nice write up about Kevin receiving his purple heart in the LeaderVindicator, and also in the Derrick. If you need a copy of either..I have saved mine just in case. Just let me know at kracker_jaxs@windstream.net and I will get them in the mail to you. I am hoping to be able to make it to his ceremony on Sunday! Hope you enjoy your time in Brady!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great cause and I will make sure to send the letter out here in Texas!!!
Good luck this weekend...know that youe online friends are there with you guys and so so proud of Kevin!!!
Hugs from El Paso,
Tina Dwyer

Unknown said...

Leslie,

I posted this over at Soldiers' Angels so this will get out to even more people.

Lorraine said...

It was great seeing you and Kevin tonight at the parade. Sucks that it rained. I hope Kevin saw Howard too. If my picture turns out I will send you some copies. SEe you Sunday at the ceremony or maybe Sat evening we go down for dinner then to Josephines yard to see the fireworks. Enjoy your stay. Lorraine, Rick and Howard "the duck"

LISA said...

Leslie,

Take a peek...you guys are on the KDKA news.

http://kdka.com/local/Kevin.Kammerdiener.hero.2.1090943.html

YAY...an article and a video to the right of the news story.

What a downpour and what a shame for the parade. Thought you and our blog friends would want to see this.

Looking forward to Sunday. : )

Anonymous said...

I just watched KDKA news online! I have tears!!!Kevin looks great. He did so well. East Brady welcomed him with open arms. I am so glad for you all. Leslie, you looked great and spoke well! Oh, how far your family has come. i have no words to describe how my heart feels right now.