Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 182 - Nov 29, 2008

Poor Kevin. He had a really rough night last night. Apparently his sitter fell asleep and was snoring so loudly that he only slept about 2 hours. The charge nurse somehow caught on to her being asleep on the job and removed her from the room twice. The second time - he had her terminated from her sitter position. He forced her to leave and he stayed in the room with Kevin the rest of the night.

I am really happy to say that Kevin is becoming better able to communicate as time goes on. He still doesn't talk much - but he is understanding things more, making it easier for us to play 'charades' to figure things out. He was able to explain to us that he only got 2 hours of sleep and he would snore so loudly showing us how bad she was.

And yesterday the nurse took his deodorant to the shower and left it in there. Kev was able to 'tell' me that too. I loved it when she argued that she brought it back and when we had her look to make sure - it turned out Kev was right and it was still in the shower room.

He is just becoming more and more observant. Super great, huh?

Other than that, nothing much happened today. We had a nice leisurely day at the house. It was funny though because he was flipping the channels and the car chase scene from Bad Boys II was on and we were all pumped to watch it and didn't we get all engrossed and after the 5 minute scene was over they started talking and it was in Spanish, lol. Me and Kev just looked at each other and burst out laughing. Obviously - we had to turn it.

So that's it. Breezy and I just came back from a ride out to scope out a house. We only have time late at night to weed out anything that's not right for us after viewing homes online. This home was just beautiful and it was already handicap accessible, but the area was dried up and desolate. It was also along a major 8 lane highway and was already loud at 12:30 at night. I can't imagine it during rush hour. So that one's a no-go too. We will be spending a lot of time at home so it needs to be somewhere where you can hear yourself think...

And now I am heading to bed. Goodnight everyone!

9 comments:

Alison said...

Glad to hear that Kevin is getting better at telling you what's going on and communicating, that has to be easier on everyone (and much less frustrating for him!) all around.

Maybe you guys could plan a day to get someone to stay with Kevin during the afternoon so that you could check out houses in the area during the daytime hours? Just a thought...wonder if the hospital could help you out there.

Hope you find something that works out soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leslie,
I am still laughing, I feel so bad for Kevin, since I know first hand how much he hates snoring. LOL I can still see the look when I woke up. I'm going to bring him a pillow that he can throw if that happens again. He can act like the pillow came from nowhere, he is good at that. You know I love to teach him a few (bad) good things. Love you all see ya soon. Tracy A. Jack

Long-time RN said...

Really great to read Kevin's communication skills are improving.

All the best to your family in finding a house. It sure can't be easy if you're not familiar with the area and have so many diffent accomodations to consider in this home. Hope there are folks you've met who can help guide and give advice as to the various areas you're looking at.

Great idea on the pillow toss, Tracy!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I know of you through Matt Wheeler.
I live here in Tampa and I have tried to get in touch with you but can't seem to. Left notes at hotel and at Fisher but anyways. If you could email me then I will send you my phone number and maybe my husband and I can be of help i.e. where not to buy a house, etc. anything else we can help you with. I have also tried to get in touch with Tavares family but can't. I understand there is a privacy issue and do not want to abuse that but we are more than willing to help. Our church is on the same block as the VA and we would be right there. Hope to hear from you soon.
Selma Grantham
sraselma@verizon.net

Jodi said...

Hi Gang!

I am laughing so hard, imagining Kevin showing you how the sitter was snoring! It is great his communication skills are getting better. I know it makes you feel better to know what he needs!

Like Alison stated, can you have a sitter with Kev for a couple hours during the day to look for houses? Good luck on the house hunt!

How are you and Breezy doing??? You "sound" to be in a pretty good mood lately. I am glad for that...

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

You know what's best for you and your family. If it's Florida, then I hope you find a great house with room for the lots of company I know you'll have.

Re: communication board or book - they can actually help speech develop. One wouldn't have to totally replace the guestures he has now or the words that he's trying. But like now, we use our eyes, volume, hands, tone of voice, written words, oral words, and whatever else to communicate. A board would just give him another layer of communication.

Vicki Chrisman said...

I can just see Kevin imitating the snoring! How funny! ( Great that he could still have a sense of humor after a sleepless night like that.)

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

All I can say is I'm so glad Tracy ( a.k.a. Tracy A. Jack )...lol.. is coming back.

The best medicine the doctor could order. : ) We can't wait to see the new tricks she teaches Kevin. All kids love their "naughty Aunt" the most.

I agree with looking for a house with a guest room and a pull out couch...I'm guessing you will have a lot of company.

Have a good week. Still praying, as always.

Anonymous said...

Well, thank goodness the charge nurse discovered the sitter sleeping on the job! That's too funny about Kevin demonstrating her loud snores and so good that his communication and observation skills are improving.

Still praying for you all and for the house search. I love to watch House Hunters on HGTV, but that's from the luxury of my bed. In reality, I know that it's one of the most stressful things you can do. I imagine that Tampa is pretty expensive, too. But hang in there, you'll find something!