Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 173 - Nov 20, 2008

Breezy and I went to see The Phantom of the Opera today. It was pretty good - for me anyway. Breezy fell asleep, lol. She really hated it. Kevin was originally supposed to go with us, but apparently he remembered the other day that he just isn't into things like that. Darn! So anyway, he chose to stay at the hospital with his sitter instead of go. This was the very first time that he was aware we were going to leave and he was okay with it.

He did have a good day though. We went to the MOAA dinner tonight and he went along. That's the one from last month where he remembered Ortiz. He had a good time, but it was very overwhelming. So many people coming up to him. We also took Vinnie with us. That is Kev's roommate. They get along really well - they play off each other and they even arm wrestled yesterday. It was so funny. Here's a pic of the kids with their thumbs up:



Other than that, nothing really happened today. I do have to tell you guys that Breezy woke up this morning with a cockroach crawling on her arm. She has been seeing a lot of them lately so I am sure her room is infested. They are moving her to another room, but it's not really going to matter. The whole place is crawling with them - this is going to be her 4th room. And the one time she complained at the front desk - they handed her a can of bug spray. Seriously! I really don't understand how the Army finds it acceptable to put the families up in a dump like that. I understand they have a contract and all, but it's still just not right. I can only bet that none of the families lived like that previously.

So, I am just going to end here tonight. I want to go to bed kinda early as I am just tired today. I still haven't made any decisions yet on the retiring thing as I still need to research. I guess I can safely say that my decision probably won't be made real quickly though. I do want to thank everyone for sending all of those links to sites with information and for all of the advice. Truly - thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Glad for a good day for all...

Vinnie, Brianna and Kevin look like they have fun times together. I'm glad Vinnie came into your lives...and you in his. Great therapy and good medicine for all. : )

Forgot to say "YAY" to Steve Kammerdiener...WOW. Great news with all of the help with Kevin's pay.

My Aunt and her family lived in Sarasota, Florida her entire adult life. The one thing she hated...the bugs. I guess they grow them really big down there. Why can't Brianna live with you ?

Have a good weekend...we are getting our first accumulation here in East Brady tonight. Well..let's just say it is starting and more is predicted. It's missed us so far and hit everyone else around. I think the good old Allegheny River protects us.

STAY STRONG...
Prayers always sent your way...

Anonymous said...

I just let Molly, the dog, outside to tinkle before going to bed. Oh my gosh...it looks like WINTER WONDERLAND out there.

My Mother always called it "sneaky snow"..the kind that looks like fine rain that accumulates very fast. I'll bet the kids have a school delay in the morning if this keeps up.

I wish we could send YOU pictures..from home.

Goodnight. : )

Vicki Chrisman said...

Love that pic!!

Holee said...

Bugs, the reason I left florida. Tell Breezy that unless the hotel exterminates twice a month, they will become over run with them. They are Polmetto bugs and they hate when us north people call them roaches..and they fly too! They live in the ground and are huge!

Besides keeping the lights on, tell her to go buy professional strength home defense at the super market. It comes with a top sprayer you put on yourself. She will need to spray every inch of the baseboards including inside the door and outside the door and the window sills, every week! This will keep them out of her room. Also, pull the bed away from the wall.

Also, keep all food in plastic containers and makeup draws them also, even in your purse. I think they like lipstick. My biggest purchase was tupperware! Now you can get those glad containers.

Also, if there is a kitchen in her room you need to buy borax and sprinkle it under the sink. Do this in the bath also if there is a sink cabinet. Bugs can't live in borax.

Franklin is getting hit hard with the snow. :-(

Anonymous said...

I HATE cockroaches and Palmetto bugs ARE cockroaches. If you can find a product called "Rid-a-Bug" (comes in a gallon container, with a pump handle and about two feet of hose) use it. It works, even better than bug bombs. I used it in South Carolina when the trailer we rented had both German cockroaches (little one-inch buggers) and the big "Palmetto bugs". Spray the Rid-a-Bug everywhere, around the whole room (don't forget any moldings up by the ceiling), then leave for a couple hours until it dries. The borax is good too, but is toxic to pets.
Mary

Vicky K said...

Leslie,

My father is retired military and he said you need to find an IG. Also, I will be down that way visiting them for Thanksgiving and we are only about an hour and 1/2 from Tampa. I have been telling him some of the things you are going through with the retirement thing and he said he would be more than happy to come and talk with you and give you any help that he could. Even if you don't need his help I would still love to come and visit with you and Kevin and Breezy. So take care, keep your chin up and you are doing an AWESOME job along with Breezy and the changes that Kevin has been going thru is great, love the pics that you post. Hope to talk to you soon.

Vicky K
MCHS 1983