Sunday, November 23, 2008

Day 176 - Nov 23, 2008

We had a better day today. Kevin didn't seem to be as depressed as he had been. We had one little instance where a girl of about 10 years old or so started crying when she saw him tonight, but he just ignored her. Or maybe he didn't comprehend why she was crying - I am just not sure.

Other than that, Kevin allowed me and Breezy to go see a community that we are considering living in. He stayed with his favorite sitter all afternoon and they watched "The Goonies" with two of the other patients and I guess they were all laughing their butts off. I just love to hear that.

The community is very nice - they all seem to be though. It has a very nice fitness center (which he can definitely utilize) and it's on a wildlife preserve so it almost feels like East Brady. I was pleased to see a bunch of teenagers playing football in one of the parks and it was overall very quiet there. This development is in the beginning stages, but they intend it to be a whole town at completion (with 8500 homes over 15 years). One thing I really like is that they will be having a community hospital with acute care built in the first quarter of 2009. In an emergency, we can go there until they can get us to the VA hospital here in Tampa, which is about 25 minutes away. The homes there start in the 170's and go up into the millions and I think it's safe to say that we are going to be on the low end, lol.

So anyway, we did tour a couple that were already pretty much handicap accessible (shower and front steps only need changed), but they were in the 500 - 800 range. Ha! We just walked through those so that we could drool. Man, I sure wish one of those were in our budget, lol!

And now I am just sitting here waiting for Kev to go to sleep. It's just shy of midnight and I am not seeing it happening anytime soon. There is a ROCKY marathon on and him and Vinnie are both watching.

So, I am going to hit a few more questions:

Ben - Kevin doesn't seem to remember names so I can't say if he remembers you or not. You also asked if we could maybe stay here until he is ready to come back to PA. That's more what I am thinking, to be honest. I am hoping we can do that, and if not, maybe we can come back to Brady for the summers at least. No matter where we end up, East Brady will always be our home. I also looked up the Wounded Warrior Bill and thanks for the info.

Lisa in Minnesota - I love the idea of Kev talking to other guys that have went through what he has, but unfortunately there really isn't anyone here that can do that. This hospital ward here is probably the most devastating ward in the country. I mean, you can get a prosthetic for every missing limb, but there's nothing you can do about missing brain tissue. And Kevin is honestly one of the lucky ones. Most of the guys here are way worse that he is. Maybe somewhere along the line someone will come in though and be in the place to help Kevin like that - who knows. I wish your step-son good luck in making the decision to join the Army.

Jodi - good idea on having someone that Kevin looks up to come to get him to snap out of it. I will have to give that some thought...and before I forgot - on Veteran's Day, you posted a short note to Andrew and hoped I didn't mind. Of course I didn't. Andrew, James and Dan will forever be in our hearts - along with all of our fallen and wounded soldiers.

Miss Em - great idea on having someone get my photos. I will have to try to find out where my storage unit is located and go from there. Ooooohhhhh Moe...can I ask a favor?

Martha K - thanks for calling Senator Casey's office for me - I will contact him soon myself.

Kristen - I had never heard of General Anxiety Disorder, but that is so what's going on. I kinda figured it would wear off once we are out in public more and it's not such a big deal to be. I'm glad it all went away for Travis! Say "hi" to him and everyone at work!

Ok - enough for tonight. I think he's sleeping so I can sneak on home...

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Gang!

Kevin, I LOVE "The Goonies" movie! It's one of my favorites! It was filmed not far from me on the Oregon coast! If you guys ever get to come out this way, I will take you there!

Les, glad Kev is feeling a little better. Sounds like having Vinnie in the room might be a good thing for him.

I love looking at houses I can't afford! LOL. Glad you found a community you might like to live in. You need to be happy and feel comfortable in the place you live.

Hope you 3 have a fantastic day today!!!

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!
I love you!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

P.S. - Thank you Les :-)

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Goonies is a fun movie...I'm surprised you weren't watching too !!! ha ha

I agree with Jessica..why would someone need a grant to get a home if there are such ridiculous stipulations that it has to be so large in order to get the grant.

That is the trouble with so many of these shows on TV ( I read too much news and watch CNN all the time )....these TV shows that attempt to help families in need.. go way overboard. You hear of people LOSING their homes because they cannot afford to keep the huge beautiful homes the TV show has gifted and built for them, as they are TOO luxurious. The utilities are not affordable and the taxes too high. The family has stars in their eyes with happiness, as anyone would, and then reality hits and they end up losing their home.

These shows need to start and realize this. Their good deed ends up being a tragedy that the family has to go through all over again.

I understand your feelings about East Brady. : )

Kevin getting well is and always has been your top priority. The rest will just fall into place.

I can see one day when he is completely well...standing high and proud behind a podium and telling "his story" to many groups, families and soldiers who are just beginning to go through what he and his family have already been through.

Kevin WILL BE a success story. I promise.

God Bless you, Leslie and your family. God has been with you every step of the way. I also promise you that. Praying, as always.

STAY STRONG...we are so proud of you all.

Kris said...

Hey there Kev, Leslie & Breezy,

So glad to read that Kev was feeling better today. I am sure with time that Kevin will bit by bit be able to better deal with his circumstances and what has happened to him. It seems to me that he has one helluva solid foundation built by the strength of his incredible Mom, family, and lots of love. That will serve as his pillar of strength as he progresses. He will get through this. And so will you Leslie & Breezy. Together. Gosh you are all so very strong - like herculean strong. It is obvious in your writings, in the fact that you are able to talk about your feelings and vent about what you are going through, and speak your mind. Only brave, strong people are able to do that!

God bless you Kevin, Leslie & Breezy, and may He give you all of the strength, peace and comfort that you need each day and more. Way more. Saying extra prayers to help you all to get through this new chapter of "discovery".

HUGS.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

The Rock said...

Leslie, I found out why the pay is messed up when Soldiers are wounded .
From the time they get back State side they are no longer entitled to Combat pay ! Also, register Kevin on the PurpleHeart.org . It is a great Organization and they can give you Advise. You can have the Purple Heart Ceremony wherever you like .
Kevin is my Hero !
God bless you all
Petra
Soldiers Angel

Anonymous said...

Having a hospital so close would be ideal, if you were to live in that community you visited. Even better, if you were able to have the house built to your specifications to accommodate Kevin and his wheelchair (which he hopefully won't need for too long!)

I just have to say that the Goonies scarred me as a child! lol! My dad took me to see it when I was too young and had to take us out of the theater early because my younger sisters and I were crying so hard. Dad was pretty clueless about stuff like that! But I'm glad Kevin and his buddy enjoyed it. ;)

Take care and I'll be praying as you continue to house search and decide what's best for Kevin.