Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 175 - Nov 22, 2008

Not a whole lot happened today. It's Saturday so it was just a nice quiet day. We spent about 9 hours or so at the house just watching tv, playing Wii and eating (of course, lol) - we even all took a nap!

Breezy and I have spent quite some time scouring the net for homes. I found out yesterday that the $60K housing grant is now able to be given to active-duty members. That means that I don't have to even think about retiring Kevin yet. Phew! What a relief!

Now I just need to sit down and decide on whether to take the grant or not. With it comes a whole slew of regulations - like the fact that you need a minimum of 3000 sq feet. To have a house that size is quite expensive! It may actually be cheaper to forgo the grant and just buy a smaller home. I have a meeting with the VA Adaptive Housing rep on Tuesday. I will wait to make my mind up until after I hear what he has to say and once I look around a little more.

So I am going to hit on a few of the comments/questions I need to answer:

Craig - we got your wedding invitation. I read the letter to Kevin and he was grinning. Thanks for inviting him! Congratulations and good luck! Oh - and we would love the pic of Kevin. Please send it to lesiekamm@gmail.com

I would like to ask that everyone ignore that email address. I rarely check it and don't have time to handle any more email. Truthfully, I can't even handle what I get now. BUT - if there is something I need to know, feel free to use it. Just please don't expect a reply.

To everyone with advice on the cockroach situation - they moved Breezy to another room. Unfortunately they bombed the room she was in without giving her a chance to move all of her things first so we had to throw out all of the food and things. Grrr! We did go buy all new plastic containers and she sprayed all around the new room today. Hopefully all of this will help keep them out of this room!

Jessica - you asked for Kevin's shirt size and he is having to wear a medium right now. He also would prefer short sleeves - so far it's very hard to get even that on his right arm as it's hard to bend.

Ok - there are still about 50 email posts that I need to hit, but I am going to do them little by little. Some of them are just advice on the retirement thing and I will file them for future use.

Now I just want to ask one more question for anyone who knows the answer...is it possible to have Kevin's Purple Heart ceremony anywhere I want it to be or does it have to be in a hospital environment? Although this is just an idea at this point - I would like to have it next summer in East Brady. That community, and all those that surround it, deserves to be part of the event as they are all the reason we have been able to be here to help Kev through all of this. When I received the award in the mail from Germany, I stuck it away for it to be presented in the correct fashion and I really think this is what I would like to do. But - am I able to? Or not?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mama! I asked Timmy about the purple heart and he believes you can have it anywhere. However he did say it would probably not be presented from his unit commander. Don't quote him on that cause he is not 100% certain. I love you three and miss you like crazy!!

xoxo Jess

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Ive been reading your posts in this blog but havent commented yet. I have talked to Breezy through Myspace though :] .. anyways My brother was injured in February this year and he had his purple heart ceremony on the pitchers mound at Fenway park. Therefore, you can have it anywhere you choose. We were in contact with the Senator back here in Massachusetts to help us get home and the living/food conditions at Walter Reed werent the greatest, so we also asked him for a favor to try and make it so my brother could have his purple heart ceremony at Fenway park in Boston, and thats exactly what he did. Just thought I would let you know it can be done where ever and not just in a Hospital enviorment. My brother also had money problems and still does now. He recieved his TSGLI (the money you recieve for being injured, the amount depends on how badly injured) and a couple weeks later all his money was gone because the Army said he owed them the money and since then his pay has been different every month and he still hasnt recieved all his money yet. If you have any questions I might be able to answer some considering I have been in your shoes before.

Take Care,
Ashley

Alison said...

I think as the others have posted that Kevin can have his Purple Heart ceremony anywhere, but I am not sure. Maybe some of the readers with more military knowledge can help with some info on that. Definitely get in touch with your Senator as well, you would be surprised at how helpful most of them are.

I hope the meeting with the housing rep goes well. It might be easier to have a smaller house (less upkeep, etc) as long as there is plenty of room to move around. Though with Kevin taking his first steps the other day, who knows, maybe he will be walking in no time at all. Here's hoping!!

Vicki Chrisman said...

Thinking of you and sending hugs!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know about the shirt size. Glad I waited as I would've got a large. He needs to eat more cheesecake! ;)

Poor Breezy! She has my sympathy. Cockroaches freak me out.

That is so bizarre that you would have to buy a 3000 sq ft house to get the grant. Is that to deter families from getting it? I mean, geez, if a family could afford a home that big, would they really need the grant?

Glad you had a nice quiet day! You must appreciate those kind of days.

Praying for you all!

The Rock said...

Military Order of the Purple Heart , just look them up on PC.
And Ashley ; Go to Jag on post. They WILL help about the pay ! Also , it wouldn't hurt to contact your Senator about this. I just find it outrages ,how the Military treats our Veterans AFTER they fought for our Country. How can you mess up a paycheck , when that Soldier is still in the Military and he is wounded ?
I will do some searching about that, because that upsets me!
Angel Hugs
Petra
Soldiers Angel
Living Legends Team