Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 166 - Nov 13, 2008

We didn't have a very good day today. Kevin pretty much slept on and off all day. I'm not sure if it's a new medication that they put him on or if it's because he has a roommate and Vinnie was making noises Kev is unaccustomed to all night. The doc was going to take the new med off the list, but I asked him to give it another day. I don't want to remove a med that could have a good effect down the road if it's not necessary, kwim?

The doc is also wanting to start Kev on a medicine that will help with his ability to speak. I was really excited about it, but it turns out that there are some pretty major side effects. I am in the process of researching it and will make a decision shortly. His speech therapist told me that a lot of the patients here take it and have no problems. But still...it's not a decision I can make lightly.

Now I need to sign off early tonight. My sister is coming to visit and I have to run to the airport. The sitters for Kevin have been reinstated so I can feel safe leaving him again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I'm sorry, but I haven't gotten a package off to you yet. I've been tenfutbbusy getting ready for the 3-Day Walk (this weekend!) and wanted to send Kevin a full box -- more than just one kind of cookies. Besides, my Kevin won't let me mail a package to your Kevin unless he's written him a special note. I'll try and send something out by Tuesday. Hope Kevin is doing better in the morning!! Marianne Q

Anonymous said...

oops -- tired...and forgot to preview..."I've been busy..."

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie - really glad you got your sitter back! Peace of mind is so important. Enjoy time with your sister - I'm always really pleased to hear you have family all around you for moral support. Sending happy thoughts to you and Kevin,
Jenny in Australia.

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Thinking about you 3. I hope the new speech medicine works if you choose to use it!
I am so glad they have re-instated a sitter. Less stress for you...
Have a good visit with your sister!

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Les & Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE FOR ALL OF YOU!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Kris said...

Just stopping by to say hi to you all, and that I hope that today was a better day for Kevin and for you. You must be thrilled to see your sister!

Here is to a good weekend, and to hoping that Kevin is feeling a bit better. So glad that you had chats with the doctors about the level of care that you were getting, I wonder how many people just don't say anything and that is too bad. It would be so much nicer were you to not have to think of such things but anyway.

And saying extra prayers for the pay situation - geez Louise. I'm still chuckling about "dropping the name" at the pentagon - WAY WAY FUNNY!!

Thoughts, prayers, support and loads and loads of Angel Hugs are ALWAYS on their way to you all!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

I hope today Kevin was more alert. Medicines can definitely make you feel more tired. And you're wise to be wary of new meds as you're making decisions. Is the doctor wanting to get him on the speech one right away because the first year is the most important when it comes to regaining function? Kevin seems to be doing so well on his own. That is a tough one for sure.

I hope you enjoy your sister's visit and that you have more peace of mind now that Kevin's sitter is back. Thank God for that!