Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day 169 - Nov 16, 2008

Ok...so where do I begin...

First, we did get a van for the weekend, but we didn't really use it much. I think I already mentioned that we went for a ride on Friday night and yesterday we did venture out to The Cheesecake Factory. Here is a pic of Kevin sitting in the van. His chair wheels right in to the front passenger side:



First, I will say that he handled the ride very well. I think he just needs to be in a better vehicle and closer to the front. But, I will be the first to admit that the outing wasn't all that great. Although it's a delicate situation, Kevin is just learning how to use a urinal after months of being cathed. Unfortunately, during all of our outings, he thinks he has the urge to go to the bathroom the whole time. I assume it's stress related. So, we did spend the whole time at the Cheesecake Factory in the men's room. Yes - the men's room. I found that most of the guys could care less that we were in there. Only one slammed out and by then - I coulda cared less.

See? I told ya I'd get used to it.

Anyway, here is a pic of Kevin in front of the glass case full of cheesecakes. He was still in a miserable mood, but at least he was able to look at the camera. I promised him another trip back once we get this all under control.



And to show y'all how much he really does love it - here is a pic of him at home eating the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. I just can't begin to tell you guys how much he loves this stuff!



Today, we actually had a lazy day. We didn't even go anywhere. We had planned to go to the movies, but we decided to stay at home and play. I FINALLY found a Wii and we all bowled all day. And it took us a while, but we even got Kevin to play, lol. I knew once we showed him what a good time we were having, he would want to join in. I am so glad that he at least has the use of his left side and can do these kinds of things. I am also proud to say that it didn't take him too long to catch on. Here is a pic of he and Breezy playing:



Other than that, it was a quiet weekend. Kim, Breezy and I did head to the Hard Rock last night. We had fun playing the penny slots for an hour or so. There just isn't much time to do things after Kev goes to sleep. I think we are all so tired by then that sleep sounds more inviting than anything.

And now I am going to head home. My sister leaves tomorrow and I am hoping we can just BS for a while. Mainly, she has just jumped in and helped with Kevin (giving us a much needed sleep-in 3 days in a row - WOW!), but it hasn't left any time for visiting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, Breezy and Kevin!

Glad you were able to get out and about abit. I think of you everyday and how strong all of you are. You are an inspiration to so many people. I pray all goes well in the coming months. God bless all of you and the doctors and nurses that care for Kevin.

Diana Weibel

Jodi said...

Hi All!

Glad you got the use of the van and got to go out. The more you are able to get out, the easier it should get. I think Kevin should have a special table dedicated to and saved just for him at the Cheesecake Factory! LOL! I am with ya Kev, I could eat a whole cheesecake by myself!! :-) Thank you so much for the pictures. I absolutely love seeing pics of you guys. Kevin is looking great!! Great how you handled the bathroom situation. Who cares if any of them gets angry? My boyfriend got angry at that guy when I read it to him. He said most REAL guys wouldn't care that you were in there. So stick to your guns lady! :-)

I hope you all have a great day today!! You are in my thoughts constantly....

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel and strength for their families.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL 3 OF YOU!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake! I didn't know they even made that flavor, but it looks delicious. Kevin looks like he's in HEAVEN! LOL. Maybe they should rename the place Kevin's Heaven. ;)

I'm glad you found a way around the bathroom issue. Most guys probably don't care anyway, especially seeing the special circumstances.

What size shirt does Kevin wear? And would he prefer short or long sleeves? Do you think he would wear a shirt that says Afghanistan Veteran on it, or should I stick with button pins and stickers? I was thinking you could put a sticker or magnet on his wheelchair. I just want to make sure to get something that doesn't offend him or make him uncomfortable.

I've been thinking about you and praying for you the past couple days, even though I was unable to comment. Some days the chronic fatigue syndrome just takes over and there's no getting around it. You guys are never far from my thoughts, tho!

Take care! I'm so glad your sister was able to give you a much needed break.

Anonymous said...

I have linked your blog to mine and every now and again I come around to your blog and get caught up on Kev's progress. Wow! What a difference from that first couple of weeks, huh? Each and every week proves you have more progress than any of the professionals could have hoped for. I am continually amazed at the strength of family (especially a mom) I am so proud of Kev and Bree too. The care and love you guys have for each other keep the worst of circumstances from being the worst of possibilities. Thank all of you for sharing your story with us. I'm sending up prayers for your continued progress and strength.

Anonymous said...

I think Kevin looks just wonderful in spite of all that he has endured and it is SO nice to see him smiling. I think of you all every single day.
Always in my prayers,
Chris Stimac

Vicki Chrisman said...

It's great to bed back home and able ot check in and see how things have been going with things there. I Love that top photo with kevin in the car.. SO MUCH! What a smile!
I like cheesecake tooooo!
He can afford the calories.. I cant.. so tell him to eat up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Les,

So happy to see you could be out and about. One step at a time...one day at a time...

I don't know if this compares, or even helps or not, but I COMPLETELY understand the restroom issue. Travis has "General Anxiety Disorder", and, yes, this is typical thing. In new places, especially starting a new class year, new settings, even movies... it is very difficult for him. The only way they can release their anxiety is through the restroom trip. The wild part is that they don't actually have to "go". Please know, that with patience and understanding, it wears off. Try not to let it phase you, and the whole thing eventually does go away...not overnight, but gradual. Been there, done that, with a fragile child.

I hope Kevin watched the Steeler game last evening. I bet he was overwhelmed, as the rest of us were.

Keep up the good work!!! I miss you, but know you are exactly where I would be in your situation!!!

Kristen M.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, this is Kerry Tingley aka
Yazziegirl. I asked my Bill about your decision. He is retired Army after being disabled. He said #1 -
Go see the chaplain ASAP! He/She can break through all of the red tape regarding Kev's pay and your pay as his caretaker.

#2 Contact the Disabled American Veterans. They have a real ability to cut through nonsense.

#3 Finally leave Kev in the Army. When the army feels they have done everything for him that they can, they will hold a medical hearing. Bill says that the soldier ALWAYS gets more money from the Army then he would from the VA.

I'm so sorry I haven't written before. It would not let me log in under Yazziegirl. Duh! It finally occurred to me that I could use the Yahoo adress I use with my sister in Costa Rica (AOL doesn't work there worth beans).

I hope this information is a help. We have been praying for all of you since the accident. Love, Kerry