Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 60 - July 30, 2008

Kev had the new feeding tube put in place late this afternoon! It was supposed to be a relatively quick and simple surgery but it turns out that he has so much scar tissue that it took over 3 hours to complete. It was so wonderful to see his face with no tube coming out of his nose! Now if we can just get rid of these goggles (and it will be a LONG time before that happens - months I believe) we will be truckin' right along.

So it's looking good for the VA acceptance. This new tube was a stipulation before they would accept us, so hopefully we will hear something soon.

I was also told today that they have pretty much decided to put a shunt in. They can't wait 6 months because they can't keep tapping him so they are going to do an MRI tomorrow and come up with a plan of action with areas that weren't burned.

So today I looked really long and hard at Kevin's eyes. The lids were the most burned part of his face (which makes sense as they are so thin). I truly am amazed at how fantastic his top lids look. I'm not really sure that you can tell that they are grafted. The skin is nearly smooth and the color is a near perfect match. Once the stitches wear off and he doesn't have to have so much lubrication put in and on his eyes, he may look completely natural. Now the bottoms are still healing and the skin is still raised up and fleshy looking. But give it a couple of weeks and I just bet they look just as great. The plastic surgeon that did them really did a wonderful job! I know that we will need to probably have Kev's eyes grafted again, so hopefully we have the same surgeon.

And I guess I need to take a quick moment and clarify that yes - Kev is out of the coma. Breezy was telling me that when she was home some of you were unsure because I guess I didn't outright say it. My mistake. Probably because it wasn't said outright to me, but I am sorry.

So that's it. I am cold so I want to take a hot bath. I always turn the AC off in the room, but the cleaning lady turns it back on and it's always frigid in here when I come home at night. Brrr...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know you guys dont have alotta time on your hands for yourselves but could you guys post some of the parade pics in an upcomming entry? id like to have them and post them for others to see.

also i've been wearing my Kevin shirt everywhere i've been skating. i've gotten many of questions about it and i tell people and they wish the best for kev!

glad to hear he's making such progress! its music to my ears...

Vicki Chrisman said...

So glad for a good day! Keep warm friend!

Gretchen said...

I was one of the ones who wasn't clear, what with all those stages of coma's. Although he sure has been sounding lucid lately, what with all the funny things he does, lol! Yay for good days, Les! Keep 'em coming!! LOL!

Jodi said...

Sounds like good news and a good day all around!! YAY!!!
Here is to another great day!!
Positive and healing thoughts always coming your way!!
All my love,
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Unknown said...

Les, Glad to hear more good news. Keep your strength and faith and hopefully you all will be in FLA soon. Hope all goes well today. Love you all
Diana

Anonymous said...

Les, So, so glad that things went well. I bet you were scared when it took so long. Why are the simplest things the hardest? You do so well posting every night and I am sure that you are so very tired but I sure do love being able to know how you all are. Please take care and all my love and prayers are yours again today. Love ya, Pam

Anonymous said...

Great day,keep up the good work Kevin.

Anonymous said...

More wonderful news!! Hope Tampa happens soon. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated. What a wonderful Mother you are and what a wonderful sister Breezy is. Keep on going Kevin. We are all rooting for you. As always we continue to pray for all three of you.

Kris said...

AWESOME. Just awesome!! New feeding tube, eyes are looking real good and most importantly, Kev is out of the coma!! Wow. These aren't baby steps - these are gigantic leaps!! Kevin, you ROCK!!!!!

Thoughts, prayers, support and load upon load of Angel Hugs are always on their way to you all. Always. Big hugs to all of you!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Great news about the stomach tube and Kevin's eyelids! I'll be praying that he will soon be accepted by the VA and that the shunt will be successful. Hope you enjoyed your bath. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, it's great to hear that Kevin is progressing so well.

Ask the guest house for some extra blankets. :) It is far better to pile them on, than to have your A/C off in this heat. When you come home in the evening, you'd never get the room cool enough to sleep in, without it being on all day!

Take care of yourself, and I hope to see many more positive posts in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of all the great things that are happening and I get goose bumps! I am so freaking excited. I miss you and call me so I can add to those minutes!!! LOL
Susan