Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 52 - July 22, 2008

What a long day today. It's not that the hours were any longer than usual, but the overall activities made it a very busy day.

Kevin did have 400 CCs of fluid drained from his chest cavity this morning. Although the fluid has been sent to the lab, the docs did say that the fluid was a great color and wasn't thick and milky like it would be if it were infected. This, of course, is no guarantee, but it does look promising.

He also had 200 CCs of fluid drained from his head. Hopefully it will start draining again on its own. They have him 'sitting up' in bed thinking that gravity may play a part, so we shall see.

Tim was also introduced and I quietly left the room for a little bit. Our case worker stayed during the visitation and she thought Kevin was trying to say something to Tim so they capped his trach, but he didn't say anything. If he is going to be able to, it is going to take him a while to learn to speak. It's a whole new process with this trach in. I can tell you this though - he does groan and moan a lot and I think that's a good start.

Kev was giving lots of hugs (like normal) to me tonight and at one point I had my head on his shoulder and he rolled his head over and laid it on mine. I told him I loved him and it almost sounded like he was trying to say it back. I am not sure about this though - it could have just been a moan, but still...

It sure is wonderful hearing any kind of noise coming from my son.

So once again, I will ask that everyone keep us in their thoughts tomorrow. Kev is having his lower lid release at 8am. This means that we won't see his eyes for a few days again. It's possible that he may be able to keep his upper lids open, but it's not a guarantee due to the swelling that typically follows this type of procedure. He will also have the bolsters (those mini sleeping bag thingies) attached to his under-eye area.

I wish this could have all been done before he woke up. Now it will be even worse cause he won't be able to see the tv or us or anything. And he will be more aware and possibly be more scared. And it's going to be awfully hard keeping that left hand from yanking one of those things off. I guess I am just going to have to accept that it's now - so buck up, Leslie.

Well, off to bed for me. Gotta get up real early tomorrow.

12 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Praying for a good day tomorrow Les!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

You did a good job today. I am so proud of you. : )

I guess the easiest way to look at it with Kevin is that what they do to him "each day" is one less thing they will have to do to him tomorrow. In each negative, it will help you get through it to find at least one positive thing.

Good news that the chest fluid looked OK. The doctors see so much, they usually know what they are talking about if they voice an opinion. At least they said something instead of nothing. Nothing would have made me be more concerned. We'll just have to wait for sure till the results come back, I know. Thinking positive though.

As my dear Mother always used to say.. "Today is over and tomorrow will be a better day"..let's hope her words hold true.

Vicki always beats me at night. Hi Vicki !! : )

I sent you mail today.

Good night, sweet dreams and God Bless you all. I still must repeat what we all keep saying. I can't believe how far Kevin has come in 52 days..considering what he went through in Afghanistan.
He is a very strong young man or he wouldn't still be with us. Stay strong Kevin..live strong.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, my name is Justin Dunham. You work with my wife Amy. I read your post everyday and I am hopeful everyday. Like Lisa said "what they do with kevin today is one less thing they have to do to him tomorrow." My brother was a fighter and so is your son, I anticipate reading your post everyday just to see how Kevin is doing. I know that with you there he is going to make it through. He is making progress everyday and I think about him everyday. I truly hope that he gets better and that someday I have a chance to meet him so I can tell him all about my brother. Stay strong!!! Kevin is doing awesome!!!!!
--Justin

Anonymous said...

Im glad it wasnt a bad day. Keep your chin up. We're all thinking about you guys.

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie!
Sounds like good news on the fluid from Kev's chest. Stay positive! Any sound from Kevin is a great sign! And he IS telling you he loves you!! Also, that he laid his head on your hand is a loving gesture! Very very cool! Stay strong Leslie! Keep fighting Kevin!!!! Here is to a great day today!
Love you all!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

What elese could the head of your child resting on you mean other than.............
"Mom, I love you...Mom, you are such a comfort....Mom, I am so glad you are here...Mom, I feel so much better knowing that I can reach out and touch you."
Will be pryaing about Kevin's eye procedure this morning.
Love you Leslie!

Anonymous said...

leslie,

in the medical field, there is a saying "two steps forward, one step back". that is usually how it is in long recovery processes. i think you must not get down on yourself or kevin's progress. he seems to adjust very well to everything that has been thrown at him and so do you. i think of your family everyday and pray that kevin will continue to improve. the added stress of an "extra" person around is probably the cause - so HANG IN THERE!!!!!

Unknown said...

Les, Keep your strength and faith. Kevin's a fighter and he knows you're there. Believe that. Will continue to pray for you all. Love you!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I know that Kevin was feeling your love and strength when he was resting his head on you and also letting you know how much he loves you. No matter how old they are honey they still know their Mothers love. What a long day for you yesterday and it sounds like one today too. keep the hopes up and prayers are there for all three of you. Love ya, Pam

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie,
You are so strong! Kevin will have great results as each day comes. He is such a fighter. We pray that he continues to fight.Medically, he has been through extremes. He is a strong young fighter. God is with you through this all. I can say that i have felt lost at times, but I know in my heart that I have not been alone. He walks every step with all of you. He loves you with an everlasting love- as the song goes. Have a strong and loved day!
Love, The Reeves Gang.

Kris said...

You have all been in my thoughts and prayers all day. Praying so hard that things went well, that he's doing well, and that you are too Leslie & Breezy. God bless you all. We're all out here praying for you and praying with you!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

I'll continue to pray for Kevin and hope today was a better day. It's so wonderful that he's able to interact with you a little.