Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 41 - July 11, 2008

The procedure went well today. I talked for quite a while with the neurosurgeon and this is what I learned:

The part of Kevin's brain that was damaged beyond repair has basically broken up into tiny particles and is now floating around in the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid). This is causing the CSF to be thicker than normal and it is also clogging the 'tube' (can't remember the right word for it) that allows the CSF to move to other areas of the body and be absorbed (I so might have some of this wrong). This is what is causing such a massive buildup of fluid on the left side of Kevin's head. The doc went in today and removed 6 CCs of fluid and will continue to do this procedure every other day until it is at a more normal capacity. I should have asked why you can't remove more of it at a time, but I just didn't think of it then. I am sure there is a good reason for it or they would do it though.

He also explained that Kevin's new skull will be titanium and it will be at least 6 months before it will be put in.

I am also very happy to report that 100% of Kev's grafts 'took'!!! Yeah!! We finally got to see his eyes today too. It was just wonderful! I am strongly thinking that they will be stitched shut within the next few days though as they still don't shut on their own, but we get to see them for now.

I have to admit that I struggle coming home some nights. It really just depends on the nurse that has been assigned to him. Tonight I didn't want to leave as I feel his quality of care just isn't what it is with some of the other nurses. It's not that I feel any nurse is a horrible nurse - it's just that some are more caring than others. And please know that I understand personality conflicts. I firmly believe that I don't have to 'like' the nurse assigned, but I do have to feel you are doing a good job with him. But it's those nights that I just want to stay there all night and take care of him. And it's those nights where I don't sleep very well. Unfortunately, as I said - tonight is going to be one of those nights. Hopefully all will be fine...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, go to sleep. No matter who the nurse is, God will look over him tonight. I've been quietly reading, but needed to talk to you tonight.

Love,
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Rest in the arms of the Lord. He is watching. He loves Kevin. Rest.

Anonymous said...

Les, Your Mom side is wonderful and you are most definitly allow to let that show through. Little Ryan only had his appendix out and you would have thought that Mom and Grandma were the only two in the world that knew how to take care of him. You need to rest honey and God will watch over Kevin. Man I miss you so much. I will talk to you this week. Take care my dear dear friend and remember we love you and the prayers are going out strong. This town is all about tee shirts and braclets for Kevin Leslie you would be so proud to see it. Love ya, Pam

Unknown said...

The others say it so well, Leslie. A mother's love transcends the obvious. A mother's love is tied to the very bone and blood of her children, and when we feel someone does not "care" as much as he or she should, about our children, we want to shield and protect. But, the nurses are professional, and the care is of a level needed. The ones who "care" more are a bonus.

Rest. When you can. Rest. You and Brianna give love and care unconditionally, and that surpasses anyone else's.

I am so glad you have friends physically coming to be with you!

Prayers, love and hugs. Always.

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie and Breezy,
I understand how you must feel. You want each person that takes care of Kevin to be so caring. I believe you watch closely how he is taken care of- you also need to allow your brain and body to rest when you can. That is asking much of you. Easier said than done, correct? We love you all. Take care, Love-The Reeves Gang.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie. I hope you got some sleep last night. I'm glad to hear that the procedure went well and that all Kevin's skin grafts took. Praise God for that! I'll be praying for protection against infection and for you and Brianna.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the skin grafts took and the procedure went well. I hope you were able to rest last night. We are all still praying and I'm sure God stayed right there with Kevin during the night. Please tell "Moey" that we already miss her. Take care and I know Moe will be a BIG support for you all this week. As always we continue to pray for all three of you.

Anonymous said...

I've been checking on you and Kevin every day. Hugs and prayers going your way.

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up...we're all here for you.

Soldier's Angel Supporter said...

Dear Friend,
I am a member of the Soldier's Angels and I just wanted to show my support and prayers. We are so very proud to be able to support not only our troops but the veterans and families as well. It is an honor and a privledge to do so. I am a mother of two boys and a registered nurse married to an Army veteran. I would like to offer this prayer for strength:

"Our strength comes from the Lord.
When those around us doubt our abilities:
Our strength comes from the Lord.
As life becomes tumultuous:
Our strength comes from the Lord.
When our faith and hope waver:
Our strength comes from the Lord.
Should the evil one tempt us;
Our strength comes from the Lord."

"David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty." 1Samuel 7-45

So be it Amen.
Prayer excerpt from "No atheists in foxholes" Chaplain P. Mclaughlin, CDR, USN

Anonymous said...

so many people are praying for Kevin and all of you. Trust in the Lord. He hears every prayer.

Vicki Chrisman said...

As I was about to write.. I happened to glance over at the first comment in this post.. and thought... THAT says it all. nuff said.