Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 42 - July 12, 2008

Can you say stage 10?!!!

Yep. Kevin is now in a stage 10 - possibly a stage 11!! This was such a wonderful day!!

First, let me say that I was misinformed of the amount of fluid that was drained from Kevin's head. It wasn't 6 CCs - it was 140 CCs. That's a whole lotta fluid! But then today, after Kevin had wound care this morning, he was actually draining fluid from somewhere - possibly from his ears. It turned out to be ok, so I will move on from there.

So I went in by myself at noon while Breezy and Moe grabbed some lunch and the nurse was so excited. She said "hurry up - get dressed and get in there! I didn't give him any meds for pain or agitation because I want you to see what he's doing!"

I hurried up and couldn't believe it. Kevin was making purposeful movements. His hands were unwrapped and he was taking his left hand and trying to scratch different areas that were grafted. And I don't mean that he was just rubbing an area and that it could have been reflex - he lifted a towel that was on top, moved a second towel to the side and was digging his fingers down under the dressings that were covering his wounds. DEFINITE PURPOSEFUL MOVEMENT!!!

And one time he tried to touch his face and he couldn't reach it (I was holding his hand back so he didn't bump his head) and do you know what he did? He picked his head up and moved it down toward his hand. I called the nurse in because it scared me that he wanted to touch his face and she said it's ok - let him touch. I couldn't believe it but all he wanted to do was scratch his nose. He just scratched it and put his hand back down! Amazing!!

Another time he lifted his hand to his face and all he did was touch everything. He touched his nose, his lips, his feeding tube and his chin. I just couldn't believe it!

So then the neuro doc came in at about 6:30 or so and he assessed Kev and was amazed at the change. Kevin's eyes were wide open and he was following the doc's movements. Now Kev didn't do everything that we asked him to do, but he did do some of it.

And Kev did purposefully touch my face about 3 times tonight. He would look right in my eyes and bring his hand up and just feel my face. And his lips and tongue were just going crazy so I believe he was trying to talk. I am going to talk to them tomorrow about capping his trach.

This is just so exciting! He did this stuff all day today! For all of us! Breezy, myself and Moe! Yay, Kevin!!

So I am going to quickly ask that we all keep positive thoughts for tomorrow. The neurosurgeon is planning to put a shunt in Kev's head to keep the fluid draining. It's just not doing it on it's own. I will know more tomorrow as I didn't get to meet with the surgeon today, but I won't be back here to fill y'all in until after the procedure is done. Positive thoughts...positive thoughts...

That's it for tonight. I want to just sit here and talk to Moe and Breezy about how exciting today was.

Cool, huh? I am just dancing in the clouds tonight!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

what great news!!! I am so happy that Kevin is showing such improvment!!!!All will go well tomorrow, I just know it will!!!
Keeping you all in my prayers,
Tina Dwyer, El Paso,TX

Anonymous said...

Leslie, what wonderful news! You must be ecstatic. I am thrilled for all of you. Things are really getting better and better, aren't they? Positive thoughts from me to you.
Love, Sherri

Vicki Chrisman said...

OH>>>FANTASTIC NEW LES!!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! You must be so thankful! The Lord is GOOD! We will continue to pray for healing for Kevin. Blessings. I can't wait to read tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Les, Great news this morning. I couldn't wait to read and see how Kevin was. Glad Moe got there safe. Have a good visit and relax a little honey you need it. I am so excited I don't hardly know what to say. Can you imagine me wordless. Can't wait to let them know at church this morning they always ask. Keep up the good work Kevin our prayers are with you all. Love ya bunches. Pam

Jeff said...

Leslie,
What absolutely wonderful news WOW. Yes Pam will be beaming today in church for sure or should I say bouncing off the walls. We talk a lot about you, Kevin and Breezy. This news is so exciting to come on Sunday morning and a blessing. I'm no medical authority, but it sure sounds like a huge turning point for Kevin. I will be praying extra hard today in Church for Kevin to have another amazing day. I'm sure the procedure for the shunt will go just fine and will be a big help.

I read this blog every morning first thing and today was just a great shot in the arm for all of us out here. I'm so happy for Kevin, you and Breezy fantastic encouraging news.

The sky today is full of Silver Linings for Kevin.
God bless you all,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Waking up to read this today has made my day!!!!!!!!!!!! What WONDERFUL news Leslie!!!! Always believe in the power of prayer! I always say...Prayer changes things! Kevin is and always will be a fighter :) I'll be thinking of you today.

Heather (OFR)

Catherine said...

THAT is so amazing, YEaaaa!! I am really happy for all of you!

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read the news this morning. I am so happy for all three of you and Moe too!! I will be keeping all of you in my prayers today. Take care and just relax into the goodness of today.
Melissa Ion

mikki said...

i am so happy to hear this!!! SO SO HAPPY! will keep my positive thoughts flowing to you!!

Unknown said...

Wow! It seems the days I decide to stop and check to see how you guys are doing turn out to be some exciting days! Maybe I should check in more often, hahaha
I think everyone agrees how happy and wonderful it is to hear you so excited, and I wish you many more such days. Keep it going kev!

Sarah Ernst

Anonymous said...

This is such a fabulous answer to prayer! I'm so thrilled for you and will keep the prayers coming! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Oh girls!! This is great news!! I had to chuckle when you said all he wanted to do was scratch his nose and then he put his hand back down...that was comical to me...I can just picture it! Hopefully they can start weaning him off the other meds so that he can interact with you more...I know they are doing only what they need to do, but when things like this happen, it is just GREAT! We are continuing to pray up here for all of you...God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, how awesome it is that he's not only itching, but is making the effort to scratch! That is exciting! I'm happy that Moe is here with you, and I hope that you get to enjoy some time with her.

Anonymous said...

WOW! How great. Positive thoughts are a deffinate Leslie. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!
Love ya
Susan

Unknown said...

YES!!! AMEN !!!! Such is the evidence of the power of prayer! I am just so thrilled for you all. And we will all, most certainly, follow through on your prayer request for an even better day today and tomorrow!! Prayers and lots of love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!
Michelle Long

pam said...

Leslie,

What a wonderful week. So much positive things have happened. Tears of joy as I read this weeks blog. I will keep positive thoughts and also keep all of you in my prayers.
Pam R

Anonymous said...

HOW 'BOUT THAT! 11! I'm thinking 11! He's better than a 10! Hallelujah & praise the LORD! Les, I am so happy to read the smile on your face! I can picture it! The procedure will go without a hitch! I know it will!! You keep up the faith, and we will keep up the prayers!
Luv ya',
Anne

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie and Breezy,
I am so glad to read your wonderful news of Kevin's responses. I cried to hear that Kevin touched your face. He loves his mom and his mom loves him. Have a wonderful day and enjoy Moe's company. God bless you all and positive thoughts from the Reeves to you all.
Love, The Reeves Gang.

Anonymous said...

Hey great news u-guys!

Here comes your warrior crossing another bridge just like he did when he was going from work to home and back! Hes got the"hammer
down" and coming at ya!
Good things happen when Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid get together! Dance! Dance! Dance!Magic

Anonymous said...

yah!!!! So excited. That totally rocks. I hope his progress keeps up.

Anonymous said...

That's great Leslie! I'm happy for you, and Kevin, and Breeze.

Anonymous said...

Leslie and Breezy - I am so happy for you two and Kevin. Every day from now on will be better than the last. Your hearts won't be so heavy and sad. What a great day for you. My thoughts are with you now and always. Time to start breathing again...

wennyyjo said...

Wow and PTL Leslie, how wonderful to hear. I was reading your posts since the first and I was feeling discouraged but wow it is a true blessing to get the encouraging news. Well we are back from vacation. It was hard since I couldn't cry for Andrew since I had mom and Ryleigh with me most of the time. Went to the Punch Bowl and the Arizona and that was so hard. Seeing and reading about the heros that have passed. Knowing that Andrew has joined the company of Heros was hard. Now knowing that Kevin is doing so well makes my loss of Andrew a little less painful today. By the way I have missed placed your number can you email or call again. wennyyjo@msn.com
Oh and Susan called and I used a phone that wasn't mine to call her back while in Hawaii so could you ask her to do the same thing. Also Andrews Grammy asked me to have you both give the boys hugs from her and tell them it is from Andrews Grammy.
Again PTL for both of the boys.
Wendy

Kris said...

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts!!! Oh boy are positive thoughts coming your way! What a wonderful post - wonderful news. You're all in my thoughts and my prayers every single day - and in mass quantities!! God bless you all. C'mon Kev, you can do it!!

- Kris, Soldiers' Angel from RI

Jodi said...

Leslie, that is FANTASTIC news!!!!
I cried when I read your post, but they were tears of joy for Kevin's improvment! Those are the first HAPPY tears I have cried since May 31st, and I will tell you, I was so glad for them, because they were tears of joy from my heart that Kevin is doing better!! I am so happy and excited for all of you!! Here is to even better days ahead!!!!
Stay strong!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I've been following your blog for awhile, thought I would like to tell you what great, strong women you and your daughter are to be there for our brave HERO who has given so much so we can be free! The 3 of you are in my thoughts and prayers constantly that the good Lord will continue working his miracles with your precious son and continue to give peace and strength to you and your daughter.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is so awesome! I'm so happy to hear that. He's come a long way. I about cried when I read that he looked into your eyes and touched your face. That is so sweet. This is great! I can't believe the progress. So many people have been praying for him, you, and Breezy. The Lord does listen and miracles do happen. Well I'll continue to keep you all in my thoughts and in my prayers. Love Always, Nicolette Loose. <3

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie if one didn't believe in miracles before you started writing they surely do believe now soooo wonderful may the stages keep going UP you must feel great to see so many people praying for all of you and the positive notes just keep coming what a testament take care and get some rest will be waiting ffor more GOOD news in the morning
Martha K

Lex said...

your update made my day!

tbehr1018 said...

SO HAPPY for ALL of you!!! I can't even type.
Keep Going Kevin!!
Theresa