Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 33 - July 3, 2008

Today was kind of a tough day for us. Kevin is pretty much in the same status that he was in yesterday, which is really great, but they decided to stitch his other eye shut today too.

I knew it was coming. I was watching the lower rim of his eye droop down and pull away from his eyeball and his lid was pulling up more and more making his eye wide open. (gotta admit that I just figured he was controlling his lid better and becoming more 'awake' because it was open wider, but I was wrong.) I think I mentioned before that as the burns heal, the skin will tighten which is what is causing this to happen, I just forgot I guess.

And let me first say that I know this procedure was necessary. I want him to have the best possible chance at being able to see and this will help with that. But, damn. It was really hard to sign that consent form.

And I know this is crazy - but it just felt like I was losing all possibility of hope. Of those moments of lucidity. Of feeling like I can see my son in there. I mean, sometimes it really feels like he can see us and when that happens both mine and Breezy's hearts just soar with hope that he will come back to us. And I can't explain it, but we honestly just know when he is lucid. It's like this film over his eyes is gone and all's clear in there. It doesn't happen often - but it's often enough to keep us going.

And now we can't see either of his eyes. And I am thinking it will be like this for 6 months - until we have the surgery. How can I not see him for 6 months - I mean his soul, who he is? It's gonna kill me! It already hurts so much.

And let's not even forget about him. Can you imagine waking up and being scared shitless as it is and then not understanding why you can't open your eyes and wonder what's wrong with you? I was so worried about it today that every time he moved his arm I told him that his eyes were stitched shut and that they are fine, but that we need to keep them that way.

I just hate this. I really do.

So now you have heard all the bad, let's end with the good. Let's see...

Kevin had his first shower today. He will now have one every other day. They asked me if I wanted his hair cut but I asked them to let me think about it. I admit that kev would probably want it cut as it's longer than the military regulates, but I just need to see it for a few days (today was the first day that his head was totally uncovered). It's especially hard as it doesn't grow everywhere as of yet (not sure if it will?) so it's basically only on the top and the right side of his head. The left side is completely bald.

He also deliberately reached up and tried to pull out his trach today. He had a filter on it at the time that he did manage to get off. Because of this, his arm was tied to the bed a little bit tighter than it had been. He can still move it some, just not as much.

And last, but not least. The two nurses that worked with him this morning saw a huge improvement since the last time they worked with him (a week or more ago). The one nurse had this to say:

"He's in there. He just can't find the door. But he's getting closer!"

Come on, Kev! You can do it!!

17 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

What a great way to end that post Les! I love what the nurse said.. ans that must have made you feel so good! That boy of yours is strong... if anyone can get through this , he can.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Stick to your guns. He is coming back to you, slowly but surely. Someday when Kevin is able to read this blog he is going to be so overwhelmed. You and Breezie have shown him unwavering love and hope since this all started, and I am sure you will continue to. You are a fantastic mother, and the world could learn a lot from you if they slowed down enough to pay attention. Stick with it, you and Breezie are helping him find the "door." You have such strong children, which must come from you. Stay strong.

Jeff said...

Leslie,
Do not fear Kev the son that you love is still there weather you can see his eyes open or not. Do not despair, you know Kev's soul and heart are there just waiting on the other side of the door. The door will come open and it will take time and patience. Patience is a precious commodity which we all need more of. You are strong and you will find the patience to carry you through. Your love for Kevin will make you strong and get you through to the day when the door swings open and Kevin's eyes light up when he sees you and Breezy.

Leslie you are a strong lady and take comfort in knowing there are many folks out here that have your back and are pulling for you, Kevin and Breezy.

God bless,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Like the nurse said,Leslie, he's in there, and he will find his way back. Kevin feels your presence even if his eyes can't see you. I know it's hard for you and Breezy not being able to look into his eyes, but you are both so strong that I know you'll get through this too.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I know that you heart is heavy I also feel down when I know how you feel but everything they do for Kevin has a good reason honey and it will work. One of your best doctors (God) never leaves Kevins side. He is watching over him.I can understand that you wanted Kev's hair there for a little while longer.I bet you touch it and smell it now every chance you get and think thats my baby. You are doing so very good you and Breezy both what strength that you to ladies have is great. Know we all love you and are praying constantly. Don't ya wonder how many times a day that God says Yes Pam yes Megan yes Jeff yes Moe yes Vickie and all you other bloggers I hear you and I am still watching over your friends.Love ya, Pam Moore

Jan said...

Hi, you don't know me, I started following Kevin's story after the Post-Gazette article. Just wanted to ask you to thank our hero for me today on America's birthday. None of us would be here without the men and woman who were willing to lay their lives on the line over the last 200+ years. Kevin deserves nothing but he best care and it sounds like he is getting it. Stay strong Mom and Breezy.

Unknown said...

Dear Leslie, Breezy, and Kevin ~

When I woke this morning, before reading your newest writing, I thanked God for Kevin and the many men and women who have fought for, and continue to protect this country, so that today can still be celebrated. So, first, I want to reiterate what Jan said, and that is "Tell Kevin, we all love him and thank him for his love of country and his strength and passion to defend us".

And as others have already said, Kevin is there. Through God, the doctors will guide him to the door, but your love and strength will guide him THROUGH. And there is not a mother or father reading this, who does not understand wanting to keep his hair for awhile.

If we could bottle our faith and love for you, Breezy and Kevin, we would. Of course, it would be too big to fit in the state of Texas, let alone the hospital. Nonetheless, bottle we would.

God be with you, keep you in His Amazing Grace, and continue to heal. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, please make sure that the other families of wounded soldiers, who have become your extended family throughout this time, know that we also pray for their recoveries. Prayer is powerful and God hears it all!

Because of our military we can say,"Happy Independence Day!"!!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, we found your blog this morning July 4 from a link in an e-mail from Tunesmith the DJ/KJ who will be at the ST. Cloud in East Brady on July 12 for the benefit for Kevin. We read the complete blog from Day 1 to present and are deeply moved by Kevin and your family's story.

We are immensely blessed by, and thankful for young men like Kevin who give so much for the freedoms that we all enjoy and celebrate on this day.

Kevin is extremely fortunate to have a family like you and Brianna standing by his side and helping him to fight the huge personal battle that he is engaged in right now.

Medical research has shown that recovery is swifter and better if it can take place in a familiar environment such as home, and you and Brianna have managed through great personal sacrifice to bring his home to him in Texas, which we believe has greatly enhanced his progress. Kudos to you two and continue the "good fight".

We will continue to follow your blog and pray for all of you out there in Texas. Here at home, we will gather as many friends as we can and attend the benefit for Kevin at the St. Cloud next Saturday July 12.

Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day! I thank God for men and women like Kevin who sacrifice their own freedom so that I can keep my own.
That comment from the nurse is encouraging! Slow and steady, he'll win the race!

Maggie said...

Hi Leslie and Breezy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Maggie Slater
(McClaine)

Maggie said...

Hi Leslie and Breezy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
-Maggie Slater (McClaine)

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Breezy and Kevin
Happy Fourth of July
Carol

Anonymous said...

This 4th of July just doesn't seem the same. Thinking of all the men and women who are not home today because they are serving our country. The many families much like yours that has been affected and are fighting a new battle of recovery for their loved one. I feel grateful for the freedom and ashamed for taking freedom for granted and the price it has cost.
Please tell Kevin how much our family appreciates him and that we are praying for his recovery. My heart aches for you Leslie and Breezy and what you struggle with each day. The highs and lows take it's toll but you always seem to shine through with your hope and love.
I know in my heart that God hears our prayers and I trust Him to take care of Kevin, you and Breezy.

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith, Leslie. The nurse is so right. He is in there and he will come to you. He knows you and Breezie are there even if he can't see you. He can feel your love and he can hear your words. Don't be discouraged. I really believe he is on his way back to you. Thank God for you and Breezie and your strength. Thank God over and over again for men like Kevin who have fought for our freedom. Take care. We continue to pray for all three of you many, many times a day.

Anonymous said...

Leslie and Breezy,
So glad Kevin is doing better. Because of brave men and women like him we can celebrate our freedom today. Still praying for him and wearing my "Kevin" T-shirt proudly, and my bracelet too. Love and prayers to all three of you. Laura

Anonymous said...

Leslie and Breezy,
thinking of you two and Kevin alot today hoping your days and moments get better with time. Lots of love missing you all. Tracy