Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 59 - July 29, 2008

Well, for the most part the meeting went well. Unfortunately the neuro doc was in surgery and wasn't present, but I will catch up with him tomorrow.

Kevin has definitely improved in the last 12 hours. I was overjoyed at how well he is starting to obey some commands. I also watched something amazing from him today. He was given a large plastic clothespin that is used for rehab (different colors have different tension levels for squeezing). Anyway, when the nurse put it in his hand it was upside down. Kev flicked his wrist upward and it kinda flipped in the air about 6 inches and Kev caught it on the way down and it was turned the correct way and he gave it a couple of good squeezes. I swear he knew exactly what he was doing! And it was all without being able to see it because his hand is down at his side and his head is usually facing upward while laying in bed. His left hand movements are no longer tentative. They are direct, without any hesitation. Mind you, he still doesn't seem to always know what he is doing, but we are getting there and I am realistic enough to know that that is going to require lots of rehab.

I personally think he has such good coordination with that hand because of all those hours on that XBox 360, lol. (I can just see all of his friends - including Sgt G, haha - nodding at this)

So I was told in passing that Kev may be going in for surgery in the morning to put that PEG in. I sure hope so. We can't be accepted to the Polytrauma Unit until it is and as you can see, Kev is ready for rehab. I was told that you have roughly one year from the date of an injury to work with the brain. Obviously I am going to ask that you don't quote me on this, but the rest of your body can take longer, it's only the brain that can't usually be rehabilitated after that length of time.

I was also told that Kev could have had the trach taken out a while ago, but because he will be flying to Tampa with a head injury, it is being left in place. Once we get there, it will be removed (barring any problems).

I think this about sums up the day. I am going to do something stupid and watch a tearjerker movie. No, maybe I won't. This has been the best day I have had in a week and I don't want to ruin it, lol. I guess I'll figure something out...

17 comments:

Wings said...

Leslie!

The clothespin flip had to be the most exciting thing! I don't post often but I read everyday and I pray more than that.
You must be exhausted - but you hang tough girl - you are doing great. Breezy is amazing, too, such a support system for Kevin!
Some great kids you have there!

Blessings!
Mary Ronge

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear of his progress! I read your blog daily and have been praying for you and your amazing family. You are such a strong person and your son is so lucky to have you for a mother. You should be very proud of your children, they both sound like amazing people.
Sending you wishes of love and strength from Kittanning.
Mindy

Kris said...

Awesome. Just awesome. Kevin is really starting to burn some serious rubber now! Keep up the great work Kevin!! Will be thinking of you this morning - praying that they put the PEG in this morning, one step closer to Tampa!! Thoughts, prayers, support and loads of Angel Hugs are always on their way to you Kevin, Leslie & Breezy. God bless you all.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Thats Awesome! And yes, he spent a fair amount of time at our house on the xbox...lol. Its great your having a good day. It seems so far and in between when your dealing with healing. We're thinking about you. Your in our thoughts always.

Love Sgt G's Wife

Vicki Chrisman said...

It's so great to come here and read new improvements Kevin is making! You have one amazing son there Les!

Anonymous said...

Hey HONEY its me. Love ya and love that kid. Good news sure does help. It has to be a good feeling having a good day for a change. I hope that the PEG can be put in today. I keep praying that the Tampa trip is getting closer and closer. Take care and Love ya bunches. Pam

In A Pinch Designs by Judy and Sheri said...

Leslie, you must have jumped for joy when he did the flip with the clothespin!!! That is wonderful...I read everyday and Kev is in my family prayers in the morning and at night....You are an amazing mother!!!
Stay strong and God Bless!!!

Jodi said...

YAY!! GO KEV!!! Flip anything you want!!! LOL :-). Keep fighting and improving kiddo!! That is awesome news Leslie!! :-) I am so excited for you all!!
Glad to hear the meeting went well! Hope everything goes well with the PEG going in today!
Leslie, I sent you a couple emails last night that we talked about the other night, but I don't think they went thru to you. If you have a chance, pls let me know.
Here is to another great day of improving health and healing!
Positive and healing thoughts coming your way!
I love you guys!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kevin!!..it's so good to hear news like this..so happy Breezy is back with you. Will be praying that the PEG goes in today. God bless all of you and as always we continue to pray for all three of you.

Unknown said...

Les, wonderful news, I'm so excited and I'll keep praying for more improvements from Kevin. Hope all goes well with the PEG surgery.Love you all!
In thoughts and prayers daily,
Diana

tbehr1018 said...

WOW!!! Go kevin!!
Great news! Keep going!
Theresa

mikki said...

awesome!! go kevin!!!! so happy to read the updates! thinking of you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you had such a positive day. Geez, I don't think I could do that clothespin flip with my eyes open, let alone closed. Go Kevin! I'm praying that from now on, there will be more and more days like this!

The Rock said...

Dear Leslie
I am over joyed with gratitude ! What a great day ! I am so excited for you it has been a while since you had such a great day !
God bless you all
Petra " The Rock "
Soldiers Angel from
Louisiana

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I just wanted to tell you(even though I am positive that you already do know this) that not only do you have an amazing son, but Breezie is wonderful. I have talked to her in the past a few times, but I really got to talk to her last weekend. She is such a strong, amazing caring young woman. I can see why you are so proud. But like someone said a few days ago in the comment section, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I just wanted to let you both know how much I enjoyed talking to her, even if I cried half the time! You are a wonderful mother, and I hope that I can do as well as you have with my own children. Your strength and love has brought Kevin back to you, and will continue to help him heal! Stay Strong!!
Aj Kusick

kim murphy said...

Congratulations on great progress. Hope the PEG went well. keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for more great days for all of you . Bless you and Brianna for being so strong ,Keep fighting Kevin!!!!!!!!!!
kim

Anonymous said...

It was very exciting to read of Kevin's flipping the clothes pin! You all are a stong family to go thru what you have! I read about every day of the progress he has been making and hope it all continues! You're all thought of in everyones prayers and thoughs!