Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 1055 - Apr 19, 2011

Ok, so I musta been drunk when I wrote last night. Clearly Roman is not the size I mentioned, lol. He is only 6 pounds, 8 ounces. Duh.

And Kevin is here and downstairs packing. I am upstairs still doing laundry and packing as well. He is so excited. He wants this surgery in the worst way! Oh - and by the way - I talked with them about asking all of those depressing and personal questions and they agreed to run the list past me first and we won't ask the ones that make Kevin think about things that he doesn't need to think about (ie; are you embarrassed to be seen in public, etc). I am so thankful to them for this!

I did have a bit of disappointment today though. I had a meeting scheduled at the Vet Center here in SA to try to start dealing with some of the unresolved emotions and depression that I can't seem to claw my way out of anymore. It has been a struggle to even get this appt, but they did finally agree to see me and we set it up almost a month ago.

So I went there today and was immediately taken to a room with two people in it where they, once again, told me I don't fall under the guidelines for the Vet Center to be able to help. Now it's for wounded veterans and their family members, but I guess I just don't fall into either of those categories? Hmmm.

From what I gathered though, the wounded veteran must go there personally and be treated for PTSD or sexual trauma and once they have been diagnosed they can give permission for their family to go for counseling. Since Kevin can't be diagnosed with PTSD, I just can't go there.

But hey - they did suggest that this could be something I could work on to try to get started across the US. Umm...Yeah. In my spare time I guess. Let me tell you though - there are many things that need fixing in the VA, but I sure don't have the time to take them all on. And frankly, why is it my job anyway? Why aren't the powers that be saying 'ya know - there is a need to help the family members deal with their grief of our most critically wounded. Let's help them.'

HA!

Ok - I have to get back to packing. I believe they have internet at the house we will be staying at so I should have no problem checking in tomorrow night. We don't get to Pittsburgh until about 9 or so, so it'll be late before we actually get to the Family House.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Leslie,
I will be thinking of you and Kevin while you are in PA getting his surgery......oh yea you might want to tell the "rain Gods" to shut off the faucett also! Its been raining for I don't know how long!! Geez Enough already....again my prayers that this trip to PA will be wonderful for both of you! And may Kevin have a speedy recovery!

GrannieEv said...

Will be thinking of all of you.

Clearbluewater3 said...

have you tried Give an Hour? http://www.giveanhour.org/skins/gah/home.aspx

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

I can't tell you how many times I have been told to do something that should be their job. I am sorry. Have you checked with www.giveanhour.org?

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful and safe trip! We will be thinking of all of you! :)
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Pattie Matheson said...

Have a safe trip! Will be thinking of you both and checking daily for updates.

~P~

Long-time RN said...

Hope you and Kevin have arrived safely and are getting settled in.
Thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Thoughts and prayers for you two. I don't drive to Pgh. Live about 20miles north. I'm a country gal and old, stay close to home. My daughter-in-law works at Pitt, it doesn't bother her. Well you take care and praying for a speedy recovery for Kevin. Martha K