Saturday, August 30, 2008

Day 91 - Aug 30, 2008

I have not slept for over 36 hours and I am just plain exhausted! This is going to be a short post so that I can get to bed. But, I just wanted to tell everyone that we made it safe and sound. Unfortunately though, they were not prepared for us in the least. None of his medications were on hand, and they didn't even have any of his food. He just now started on food about 3 hours ago. Yes, he has went about 30 hours without anything in his belly. What was even worse is that when they did round up all of his meds (blood pressure, insulin, anti-spasticity, blood thinners, and the list goes on and on) they gave them to him on an empty stomach and he would just throw it all back up. They did find a different kind of food for him sometime this morning, but that came back up as well.

They also didn't have a bed for him (he needs a special one for his burns I guess because after laying on the 'normal' bed for a night or so, his donor sites were bright red and he was in pain). They are in the process of getting him one, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

I was also very disappointed that our SA hospital gave us 2 pain medications in pill form. Ummm...hello...Kevin has a feeding tube. He can't swallow! So when he was in pain while in flight, there was nothing we could do. Very upsetting!

But alas, we are here. I would not leave the hospital because nobody seemed to have a clue about his 'issues' and I just didn't feel like I could leave him there alone. I have to tonight though, I am just too tired to be any good to anybody right now. Y'all know that I left implicit directions with the nurse though, right? LOL!

So to end on a good night - all of the docs that we did see were very surprised that Kevin is doing as well as he is. I guess they didn't know that he is responding more and more and seems to truly be aware of what is going on around him. He is also making so many noises (started a couple of days ago) so hopefully he will be able to talk again someday! I just can't imagine not hearing his voice ever again, kwim?

And I will say this - Kevin has been very mean and nasty for two weeks or more now. He is constantly pushing us and the nurses and it's been very frustrating and emotionally devastating, to say the least. But yesterday, after flying all day and him being in the ambulance, when we got to the hospital I crawled into the back of the ambulance to just show him a familiar face and he grabbed my hand and pulled me down into a huge hug. He just would not let me go. It made my day! It made me think that maybe he does know who we are, something that I constantly go back and forth on.

Geez...didn't I say this would be a short post?

PS - my phone is dead and I left my charger in Texas. If I owe you a phone call - be patient!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's terrible they didn't even have a bed for Kevin! Talk about a rough start. I'll be praying for tonight to go better and that the nurses will get it right! Sad to say, I've heard similar stories at other hospitals, too, and I just don't understand how these things happen. That's good, though, that Kevin is farther along than the dr's thought. I'm praying for you, too, to get some rest and strength for tomorrow. Things will get better (once they get their butts in gear)!

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie,
I am so glad you made it! I am so sorry for all the "troubles" you had once arriving. Kevin deserves the best of care, and the fact he didn't receive that greatly upsets me. But you are an amazing lady, and I know that you will make sure he gets what he needs!!!
I am glad he grabbed you and hugged you! That is awesome! He DOES know you and pulls from your strength. He is your son, and that makes him even more amazing!
Hang in there Leslie! He is going to continue to improve now that you are in Tampa! And I can't wait to hear about every step he makes!!!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Safe thoughts for Alan and all the soliders.
Big hugs for all of you!!!!!
I love you!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Larry Arnone said...

Hi Leslie,

I am not going to focus on the negatives of the experience during the recent move to Tampa. I am so happy that Kevin is now in firm hands of people that can help him. It really pisses me off that they were not ready though. I hope things will get better.

All my love,

Larry

Jan said...

I'm furious at all the mistakes. I mean, mistakes happen but here it was one after the other. And for one of our wounded servicemen, who deserve the best care we can give them! Pain management, food, a place to sleep, these are the basics!

But Larry is right, time to move on and look to the future. I feel better now that I got that out and hope you do to. LOL

Go Kevin! Work that recovery!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are there, and once again prove the courage and strength you all possess in this journey. Your words tell the story of how excruciating that must have been, and as others have said, you do an incredible job of "moving on".

I am glad Kevin reached out for you with a good ol' fashioned hug!

May God be there at all moments. Healing. Encouraging. Blessing.

Love. Hugs. Prayers. Always.

Unknown said...

Les, Sorry to hear about all the problems in FLA. Hope you can get everything straightened out quick. Hope these problems do not cause any undue setbacks for Kevin. Hope Breezy made it okay. Hang in there and keep your strength. Thinking and praying for you all in PA
Love you
Diana

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got that hug Les :) I've been praying that your transfer would be a smooth one - sounds like you had a few road blocks to hurdle. I hope you got some much needed rest. Call me if you need to - it's always good to hear you and talk to you.

God bless!
Heather (OFR)

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie

I think of you daily and read your blog, though I don't post as often as I would like to. Summer is becoming fall here in Bradys Bend, warm days, cool nights and leaves beginning to change. I hope that one day soon you, Breezy and Kevin can enjoy those simple things together again back in PA.

Luke asks about Kevin every week when he calls (I'm the official blog reader for our family)and all of his other friends from KCHS talk about him, and remeber him every time they get together. So he should know he is loved and not forgotten by his friends.

I always believe that if we just hang in there long enough things get better, it has been my single mother mantra for years! I hope it works for you too.

Love,

Denise M.

Jocelyn said...

My heart hurts for you and Kevin. We will never understand why these things occur, but that seems to be the norm nowadays. I will keep you in my prayers all day long. You have gotten this far and will get through this situation. You, Kevin & Breezy have become a part of more families than you can imagine. You are loved. Kevin sure knows who you are. Love works miracles!!

Jocelyn

Jocelyn said...

My heart hurts for you and Kevin. We will never understand why these things occur, but that seems to be the norm nowadays. I will keep you in my prayers all day long. You have gotten this far and will get through this situation. You, Kevin & Breezy have become a part of more families than you can imagine. You are loved. Kevin sure knows who you are. Love works miracles!!

Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

congrats on the move. I have been praying you guys got to go there. I am glad everything is going better. I am happy to here you all made it safe.

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh .. what a trying time for all of you!!! I'm so suprised they werent better prepared for your arrival.
Hope you get some rest and that today is a better day for all of you. I'm in canada till next Sat.. but I'll check in with you when I get home.. and give you a call. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Try twice to call (Contact) you by phone, but now see you phone was dead. Please call me at 727-376-2576 (H)Jim Bradley, President Florida Chapter - 173d Airborne Bde Assn.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

To be brief, glad you are now in Tampa safely. What a good daughter, Brianna, to be considerate to let people know you made it safely so we would not worry.

Good luck with all you have to encounter in Tampa.

Glad you got out of Texas when you did with Hurricane Gustav possibly paying them a visit.

Do you have a new Tampa address ? Trying, yet again, to see if you receive my mail.

Praying for Kevin, your family with Alan, Joel included as family and Texas friends and praying for the people involved in the Hurricane Gustav news.

STAY STRONG, Leslie. You face your storm each and every single day and through the Grace Of God...you persevere.

Gretchen said...

GOOD LORD - what an ordeal! That's awful how badly prepared they were - as if Kevin isn't going thru enough right now, without having to go without food and medication and even the right kind of bed! Poor guy. That's seriously messed up. Hopefully the situation improves SWIFTLY and they get their crap in order. But at least you're there finally, right?? BIG HUGS!

Kay said...

I'm so glad you are settled, my friend. I haven't posted in too long, no excuses, but please know you are both still in my heart and prayers. I'm hoping you got a good night's rest. I look forward to hearing about Kevin's progress. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Les,

We are so glad you made it, but so disappointed that they were unprepared for Kevin.

I guess, once again, if you weren't there, imagine how things would be. Just you being there makes everything better...from knowing his meds, foods and daily routines, to what he needs in the days ahead. Unfortunately, in this day and time, no matter what your situation, family MUST monitor day to day needs. In your case, it is very imperative. I am so proud of you and Breezy. What a mound of responsibility you have!!!!!

In the meantime, we pray for Kevin and his caregivers. Please know, that things will fall into place and you will find comfort in being there. I cannot imagine the emotions you must feel...going one place to another without any place to call "HOME".

Kevin is strong, and I cannot wait to see what he can do Tampa!!!! Leaps and bounds are in the days ahead!!!!

Love,
Kristen M.

tbehr1018 said...

SLEEP!!!!!!!!
It will get better....Every day it will get better.
I am praying for you all still.
Theresa