Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 69 - Aug 8, 2008

Hurray! The surgery went very well! The shunt is in place and typically when a shunt is put into a head it will start dripping immediately - well, Kevin's started FLOWING immediately! There was so much pressure in his head! The docs told me that it would take months for the swelling to go down, but we can already see a difference. I expect it will slow down, but man...is technology amazing! I can't even begin to believe that my son has a dial implanted in his head that can be turned to whatever pressure point it needs to be turned to. Now we just need to keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't falter and that no infections show up. We really need this to go smoothly.

I will say that although we are ecstatic at the surgery going well, I have never seen Kevin in so much pain. And I do mean NEVER. He very rarely is given any form of pain medication, but today I actually heard and saw my son crying while still under the influence of morphine. It was so pitiful. He was literally sobbing and it completely broke my heart. What I wouldn't have done to trade places with him today (and every other day). We have kept him heavily doped up though, so he wasn't awake at all. Not really awake anyway. I sure hope the pain is less tomorrow. Please let it be less...

To answer Kevin G's question about how Kevin's burns are healing - he is truthfully healing way better than most burn victims. We have been here 2 1/2 months and the burn docs tell us his burns look 6 months old already. I will admit though that I was saddened today. If I know this correctly - we keep his burned areas wrapped tightly in ace bandages to keep the burns from tattooing (turning purple and red). Kevin's legs have already begun turning back to his normal skin tone in some areas. But today we couldn't wrap them due to his surgery and when they took the gauze wrappings off (instead of the ace bandages) his one leg was very purple and blotchy. I am so hoping that this can go away as quickly as it has come, but I thought I heard one time that once it's there - it's there. I might be wrong on this though as it is just a buildup of blood under the burns. Maybe if they put the ace on tomorrow it will go back to normal.

Kevin also wanted to know if Kev can feel his right side - that we just don't know. Because he can't speak - we don't know much of anything.

To answer Monica's question - SSG W came back unexpectedly to visit and so did Josh B (who rode in the ambulance with Kevin when it happened) and another guy who's last name starts with E was with him. We also had a Fransisco come and today LT (I think he's a LT) G arrived. He will be here for a few days and he stayed in Kevin's room with me for hours today. I have to say - all of these guys have been just wonderful! It's nice getting to know Kevin's extended family.

Well, I am off to bed. It was an early day today.

12 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Les.. I'm so so sorry that Kevin had so much pain today. As a mother I know that must have been so horrible for you. BUT... I am thrilled that the surgery went so well!!! Here's hoping this is going to help alot towards Kevins recovery. Keeping you all in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Im glad that all those guys have been able to come see you while they were stateside. I bet it helps both sides. Yours and Theirs. Its been hard on all of us here and we know its been really really hard for you. Thank you for answering. It helps us to know who has gotten to visit you. Im sorry to hear Kev was in pain. I hope it isnt to bad and the pain meds help him get through it. Keeping you in our thoughts...
Monica

Keep that chin of yours up! :o)

Unknown said...

Les, How wonderful to hear the surgery went well. My heart breaks for his pain and I will keep praying that the shunt doesn't falter and that there will be no infections. Keep your faith and strength. Hello to Breezy. Love you all.
Diana

Anonymous said...

Les
I am so happy to hear the surgery went well. Let's hope he is in alot less or pain free soon.
You are all in my prayers and thoughts.
Love
Susan

Valerie S said...

Leslie, I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well. I'm sorry to hear that Kevin is in such pain, but we can pray that he will be much better today, and will recover well from the surgery. You're all in my prayers daily. Hugs.

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie!
YAY! I am so glad everything went well with the surgery! Sorry Kev was in so much pain. I hope he has a better day today. I am so glad you got to spend some time with all the guys. I know how important it was for them to see Kev, so I hope it helped you and them.
Here is to a better day today! Keep fighting Kevin!!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Safe thoughts for Alan.
Big hugs for you and Breezy!
All my love,
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

kim murphy said...

Hurray and congratulations on the shunt surgery, here's to hoping it will help with lot's of improvement and I am praying for Kevins pain to be relieved. What a nice thing for all the guys to come and visit, I know that helps all of you to be able to talk and for them to see Kevin and talk to you and Brianna, my thoughts are with all of you, have you heard from Alan yet , I,m keeping him in my prayers as well as all of the rest of our men and women fighting for our freedom.
take care and here's hoping for less pain today and more improvements. Kim

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that the surgery went well, hoping that it performs the job intended. As a mother I understand the pain you are feeling. We would do anything to relieve our children of their pains, including taking it on ourselves. You are doing everything humanly possible to ease your son's distresses. You are such a strong woman, I will alway look up to your courage.
Sending support from Kittanning,
Mindy

Anonymous said...

Les, thank God that is done and that all went well. I bet it really made you feel good to think that all those young soilders were still at Kevin's side. I sure hope that the pain is not so bad today. Take care and love ya, Pam

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well, and that overall the burns are healing well.
I can only imagine how much it hurts you to see Kevin in pain...but your strength and courage continue to amaze me. I pray for you and Breezy and Kevin and the doctors every day.

How wonderful that there have been so many visitors...it says soemthing wonderful about Kevin and about you!
Hang in there,Leslie, and know that I am with you in spirit.

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved that the surgery went well! But it's a bittersweet relief knowing that Kevin is also in a lot of pain. I pray the morphine will start to ease the pain as time goes on and also that his immune system would keep him free of infection. You're all in my thoughts so often.

Larry Arnone said...

Leslie,

Keep the hope and continue to provide continuous positive support and hope for your soldier. You are one of the most strongest women I know and if anyone can do it you can. My family and I continue to keep Kev, Breezy and you in our prayers. We don't know you all but feel you are family. Come on Kev, kick butt and fight this.

Larry