Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 65 - Aug 4, 2008

Didn't anybody notice that I put Aug 3, 2004 in the title last night? Why didn't y'all tell me that I was an idiot? LOL!!

So we won't be having surgery tomorrow after all. We were supposed to have the shunt put in Kevin's head. Unfortunately, Kevin spiked a temp of 105 twice last night and once again today. Damn! We have had no infections for somewhere around 5 weeks now and we were so close to getting this done and heading to Tampa! Now we need him to have no fever for a 24 hour period before they will operate. We have it on the schedule for Thurs, just in case all is well, but I am not holding my breath. We don't know what is causing it yet so we can't administer any antibiotics at this point either. This might explain his mood yesterday too. Maybe he just was not feeling well.

For those that are unaware of what a shunt is - (I hope I get this right) it's basically a tube that is inserted into the head and it is run right under the skin down the head, neck and chest into his abdomen. This will allow the CSF to drain down that tube to the abdomen and be reabsorbed into the system. It may only be a temporary thing, but it may be permanent. Only time will tell.

That just about sums up our day. Breezy and I just took 1 1/2 hour turns in his room today and then we went to dinner with Maritza and Jose. Maritza and I, as well as Joel and Kevin will all be on the same plane to Tampa. Jose and Breezy will probably fly to Tampa together on a commercial flight. As I mentioned before, we all become very close here - like family. They have pretty much adopted Breezy and it will be really nice to go to Tampa with someone to share the 'figuring it all out' part of the trip. I sure hope it's soon. I know we all want to get there so badly!

11 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh Darn! Here's hoping the fever subsides and things can move ahead.
So glad you have made such good friends there.. you all need all the support you can get, and if you can be there for eachother that's so great! Hugs to you my friend!

Anonymous said...

Sending hope and acually saying a prayer for Kevin. I wear the camo wrist band I got in Brady, it says PRAY FOR KEVIN and i ususally dont Pray or ask the almighty for anything but Peace in our World. But you and Kevin deserve a break.
Best to all: Kevin Gallagher

Anonymous said...

I just can't imagine what your days are like and poor Breezy. We will remember him thats for sure. Hope that Kevins fever goes away and the shunt will be in place soon. Your turnin pretty darn medicial on me honey. Keep up the good work. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys 24-7 as you well know but gosh I miss ya. Love ya Pam

Jodi said...

C'mon Kev, fight that fever off!!! I am sorry Kev, and you, are having a rough couple of days, and I hope they figure out what is causing the fever and it's nothing too bad.
I am so glad you have made friends there and have additional support!
Always sending healing and positive thoughts Kevin's way!
Safe thoughts for Alan.
Big hugs and all my love to all of you!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Jeff said...

Hey Leslie,
The fever will pass and the surgery for the shunt will be done. Kevin is a fighter and with the shunt he will make a strong come back with the swelling in his head gone.
It's wonderful that you and Breezy have Maritza & Jose and you all support each other. Being able to go to Tampa all together will be so nice for all of you there is strength in numbers. There is Silver binding you all together for sure.
God bless you all.
Jeff

Unknown said...

Les, Hope the fever is nothing serious. Will keep praying that the suregery will be done on Thurs. Glad to know that you have expanded your family and are with people who can relate and who know exactly what you are going through. I'm sure it helps. Keep your strength and faith and you'll soon be in Tampa before you know it. Love you all.
Diana

The Rock said...

Hey Leslie
Sorry to hear about the Fever ! I hope they find out what is causing it?
I am glad that you find Comfort in being with other people who are going through the same thing .
My Prayers are with you
Petra
Soldiers Angel from
Louisiana

Anonymous said...

Hi, Leslie. I hope that Breezy submitted her boyfriend's name to Soldiers' Angels to receive mail. She could do it when he gets to Iraq and gets an address. Also, even if he is 20, he probably still likes cartoons. I know I still like them and I am way over 20! I pray every day for you and Kevin and Breezy. Healing for him and fast, and strength for you and Breezy for each day. Love, Karen

Anonymous said...

I haven't posted a comment for awhile but I'm still here...a dedicated reader. You are all in my thoughts and prayers every day. I hope Kevs fever goes down and he gets his shunt put in so ya'll can go to Tampa. Love Always, Nicolette Loose <3

The Rock said...

I hope Kevin is having a good Night

Anonymous said...

I didn't even notice the date! Shows how observant I am!

Shoot, it seems like there's always something keeping you all from Tampa. I'll definitely be praying about that! Praise God that He has provided you with wonderful people to support you like family.