Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 62 - Aug 1, 2008

I am a little bit worried today because Kevin is back to sleeping all day again. I don't want to say that he is back in his coma, but he barely moves and only opens his eyes for maybe 10-15 mins all day. This has been for 2-3 days now. Now I know that he just had surgery and I know he had an MRI yesterday, but still...I just think something is wrong. I am hoping that they will tap him again tomorrow and maybe that will make the difference.

They did put him in a chair today. It's kinda like a bed that works itself into a chair and I was concerned about it from the getgo because you typically have to wear a helmet when you have no skull covering part of your brain and are out of bed. But they put him in it and luckily, they realized rather quickly that he just can't do it. It was supposed to be for 4 hours and I don't think he was even in it 15 minutes. His neck muscles are too weak to hold up the left side of his head because it is so large. I say get that shunt in, let some of the fluid drain off and maybe his head size will be reduced enough to make a difference. But that's my take on it and I am not a doctor so who knows.

We also found out today that Kevin has some new bone growth. I guess it's common in burn victims because their calcium levels are much higher while healing and mostly it just flows throughout the body. Unfortunately, Kev has calcium that is depositing in at least one area and bone is growing on top of bone. It's not a good thing and it can be painful, so an anti-inflammatory medication was given to him today to keep the muscles from being inflamed around the new bone growth. This is happening in his upper right leg and we caught it because of all the pain he would be in when moving that right leg to the center of the bed. It's just horrible to see him grimacing and turning red from it hurting so much.

And Kevin's right arm has been curling inward lately with a lot of tension (mistaken for strength). I was worried because he was only moving it in and never outward and it appears that this is spasticity (sp) or major muscle spasms, like charlie horses. He can't help it and I know how painful those can be, but he has been handling it well for the most part. We are now trying to pull the arm back down next to his side so that it doesn't 'get stuck' curled up on his chest toward his throat. Not an easy feat because the spasms don't allow you to move the part of the body that is affected and you definitely don't want to force it. So when he relaxes, we just put it back to his side.

Truthfully, this really wasn't one of our better days. I did get all of my emails back (thank goodness!), but Kevin didn't have a great day. Maybe tomorrow will be better...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my daily prayers. I read your blog every day, and when you say "Today was a great day", I honestly go around in a happy-go-lucky kind of mood for hours. We're all thinking of you, and sending healing thoughts and prayers for Kevin. God Bless you all.

Lisa in Indiana

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

I am sorry today was not a good day. Hopefully there will be good answers tomorrow and an ease in the pain for Kevin. This has to be incredibly hard to watch. : (

You say you are not a doctor but your "take on it" with the situation with Kevin is sometimes better than any doctor could diagnose. YOU are Kevin's Mother..you know him inside and out. A Mother's love, instinct and intuition is built right in us. If you feel something is not right, I'd most definitely listen to your gut feelings and hopefully the doctors listen too.

I hope that tomorrow is a better day. Oh you've got your hands so full. You are gaining so many skills each and every single day by observing, learning the lingo and taking care of Kevin yourself.

When you describe Kevin to us, I don't think any of us have any idea what you go through. I am just so sorry once again that this happened to Kevin and his friends. Those horrible horrible suicide bombers.

Praying for good things for all of you. The bone problem, the head swelling,the fluid, the arm curling, the muscle spasms, the neck weakness and all of the bad...we just need to pray so hard for it to go away.

STAY STRONG, Les..at least try.

kim murphy said...

Dear Leslie,
sorry it was a tough day . I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Kevin is so lucky to have a wonderful mom and great sister there for him for support. just remember that every day that passes is one more you have all made it through and Thank God for that. Keep your chins up and stay strong you are all doing a great job. Just remember that when Kevin is resting you and Brianna need to take some down time for yourselves and do something you enjoy or just rest. you have to keep yourselves healthy and strong as well. in my thoughts and prayers every day,I'm looking forward to meeting you all someday and if there is anything you need or I can do to help please let me know. kim murphy

Anonymous said...

still praying in Maine

Anonymous said...

Days like yesterday must be so disheartening for you and Breezy. I know that just hearing about it is upsetting for me, so I can imagine how it affects you. But, Kevin has come so far, and you've already seen him pull through over and over again after so many bad days, that I just have to believe(and I do believe)that he will continue to overcome all the obstacles. I think of you and pray for you, Breezy, and Kevin always. Stay strong, Leslie. I love you.

Unknown said...

Les, hang in there. Keep your strength and faith. The surgeries he's had has tired him out. With all of his injuries he needs the rest to gain his strength to keep fighting. He'll be okay. And just like the bracelet I'm wearing says, I'll continue to keep praying for not only him but you and Breezy too. Love you all!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Man what more for this young man. I can't imagine how strong he was before this all happened if he is this strong now. God loves him Leslie and honest he will take care of Kevin. I feel so worried about you I can tell you tone of writing. Tried to call but will try again tomorrow. Take care my friend we love you guys and you are never out of my thoughts and prayers. Love ya. Pam

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Prayers and more prayers are with you all. I don't know how you do it, but I'm guessing it's the mother strength that takes over and keeps you going. I hope it helps in some small way to know that so many people from near and far are pulling for Kevin-and you all.

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Keep believing. Kevin needs to rest and so do you and Breezy. Many prayers are coming your way today. I hope it helps to know that. Take care, we continue to pray for all three of you.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Sorry I haven't got to call you back yet. I really do want to talk to you. I know how busy you are and I hate to bug you. I will try to call you tommorrow or monday. Every time I remember to call you it is to late. But I will call you back.
AJ

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear more complications of Kevin's condition. I hope the anti-inflammatories help with the pain; I hate to think of him suffering yet one more thing. I pray God will keep watch over you as you watch over Kevin. Trust your instincts; I believe God made you Kevin's mom for a reason!