Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 73 - Aug 12, 2008

We got a huge shock when we went into Kevin's room today. His head was actually indented by about 2 inches on the top left. The shunt is obviously working, but the docs didn't realize it would work so fast. Now he still has the very large sac of CSF coming out of the side of his head, but it's come down so far that it is no longer swollen at the top. I know it's a good thing, I really do. But I have never seen someone that had part of their skull removed. It's scary to see an indent where your skull should be. And I would hazard a guess that this makes the brain even more susceptible to injury than with the sac of CSF. But it's progress, right? I just have to keep thinking about that. Progress.

And today Kevin was trying to pull himself into a sitting position again. This time he could see the bed rail on the right side so he was using his left arm to try to grab it. He tried numerous times today, but couldn't reach it. He would even grab the plastic sheet and try to pull himself closer, but it was too hard with his right side not moving at all. But - he finally managed to do it tonight! And I, of course, missed it! I was talking to the nurse and not facing him - darnit! But Breezy got to watch it and I think it made her night! Yay for Kevin!

So I am hoping tomorrow maybe we can sit him in the chair again for a half hour or so. Now that his head isn't so heavy, maybe it will work. And maybe if we get him in the chair, we can take him for a ride around the hallway. I think it would do him wonders to get out of that room! Maybe even into the courtyard for a few seconds or so. He can't really be in the sunlight due to his burns, but a minute or two can't hurt. I am probably pushing it, but it would just do us all some good.

That pretty much was all for today so let me get to some questions. Grant, I know you want pics of the parade posted, but I don't have any. Breezy was videotaping it (not taking pictures), but she was crying so hard that it makes you sick to watch it because she couldn't hold still. If anyone else has some pics, we would love to see them. Just let Moe know at the grocery store in EB.

And someone asked about his coma level and speech pathology: His level is still in the 10/11 (or was it 9/10?) range. And SP has not been involved yet - that's one of the steps in Tampa, which is why we really need to get there. This hospital is well equipped for the burn patients and amputees. But they are not equipped to rehab TBI (traumatic brain injury) patients. And to be honest, we are just spinning our wheels here in regards to this. He has no form of rehabilitation to stimulate his brain. But we needed the shunt and the feeding tube before we could go, so hopefully within the next few weeks we can head out.

That's it for questions tonight - at least from the readers. But I have one. Has anyone read the Twilight series? I picked up the first book tonight to read to Kevin, but I am not sure if it's something he would like or even if it's appropriate. It seems to be all the rage right now as the fourth book just came out. Anybody have any input? Is it gruesome? (if so I won't read it as I am a big baby) Or is it a romance? It's about vampires, but it's too hard to get a feel for the book from reading the synopsis. Any input is appreciated.

Oh - and someone mentioned me missing a day. You actually need to go by the title of each post and not by the date it was posted. Sometimes I don't start typing until after midnight and that causes it to show the following day's date. (but hey - we all know that I sometimes can put the wrong date, lol. Hello...2004?)

19 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Dont know where you are finding your energy.
So happy for all the good things the day brought!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

its ok. it was nice to see her even if it was only for only a few moments. i hope that you guys can get to tampa soon and its really great to hear that hes making progress!

once you guys are in tampa i wanted to maybe come visit...i might be having some time off school possibily around when you guys might go. we shall see!

always prayin for you guys, stay strong and know we are all here for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I have pics from the parade on my camera that I was waiting until I got to WalMart to have a CD made to send down to you...not realizing that...duh...I have a CD burner at home. I will figure out how to utilize the CD burner for pics and get a CD down to you in the next couple of days. I heard it's not hard to do, but I've not done a pic CD before, sooo...not being hard to do for someone that's done it and then for me .. you may just wind up with hard copy pictures ! Wish I could have had been at the bottom of the hill to get a pic of Grant coming down .. it was rather funny !
I hope all goes well with Kevin today with sitting in the chair. It's those little things we all take for granted that will be a milestone for Kevin from here on out. Each day sounds better :) I hope his buddy that was with him is doing well too.
Take care today and each day. You are all in my prayers :)
Julie

Anonymous said...

Leslie that is just wonderful news that we love to hear, I hope he gets to florida soon for rehab so we all can see more of his stuberness come out he's a fighter for sure. We love you all and you all are in are prayers.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

The Twilight Series was amazing. It's not at all gruesome. There are very little "fight scenes" Of the three books there may have only been 2 very short (non gory) fight scenes, this book definitely revolves around the character's relationships. I think it would be a great book to read to Kevin and one that you will enjoy reading too. Good luck with everything and Enjoy the book!

God Bless!

KS

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie!
YAY! Sounds like a great day! Good for you Kev! Keep fighting kiddo!
Here is to another great day today Leslie, and I hope you get to take him out of the room soon!
Here is to another great day today!
Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Safe thoughts for Alan.
Big hugs and lots of love for all of you!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie Glad to hear that the shunt is doing its job, and there have been no complications with it. That Kevin was trying and able to pull himself into a sitting position is also great news. These are such big steps toward Kevin's recovery. It would be wonderful if you could take him out of the room for a walk. It would do you all a world of good I'm sure to get out of that room together, if only for a few minutes. It will happen; one of these mornings I'll get on to your blog and you'll be saying, "Well, Kev, Breezy, and I went for a walk around the hospital today!" Sorry, I have no pics of the parade, but, I can tell you, the image of all of those young men on skateboards commemorating Kevin is one that I will always keep and cherish in my memory. You're always in my thoughts,Leslie. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You said he was a determined man and does that prove it!
I am glad he is responding so well to the shunt.
Guess he thinks he is ready to get up and run. LOL.
Sending you a CD today of some music he should know, and you should be able to stand. LOL. My husband also listens to alot of Metal, but this is songs that are from the same bands, just a little softer and played on those stations.
Love ya
Susan

Anonymous said...

Everyone that I know that has read the twilight series says that it is AMAZING. The day the last one came out my sister was at chapters to get itt at midnight and stayed up all night reading it and she just turned 30. If you are enjoying reading Harry Potter then you will most certainly enjoy the Twilight series and it will be great therapy for Kevin too!

Kris said...

Progress!! YES, it's PROGRESS!! Praying soooooo hard that the progress continues, and Tampa HERE WE COME!! It seems that Tampa is definitely THE place to be if you've got a TBI.

I've followed another hero's story for over a year and a half now - he started at WR for other injuries in addition to TBI - he was missing part of his skull, couldn't hold down food for months, could not talk, could not speak, motor skills seemed out the window. No one knew if he'd ever "come back". Well he made it to Tampa, and went through a cranioplasty soon after. He was given the same 2-5 year prognosis as Kevin - just to be able to do basic functions. Well guess what. That was about 18 months ago. For the last 4 months he has been living ON HIS OWN, driving across states, and is back on active duty as of a month ago. His duties are lighter than usual, but that will change over time.

Yes, I feel so blessed to have been able to watch that miracle unfold, right before my very eyes! And I feel just as blessed to be able to watch the miracle that is Kevin unfold. Kev IS a miracle!!!

We're all out here praying for you and praying with you Leslie & Breezy - and loads of extra prayers are going to Alan and his buddies as well.

Stay strong brave warrior, hang in there Leslie & Breezy!! Big, ginormous hugs to you all!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I just finished the fourth book in the TWILIGHT series. I loved them. It is a nice escape as it does involve the supernatural and is not based on reality. There are some fight scenes (as already mentioned) and they can be a tiny bit gory. However, the gore is not realistic so it never really bothered me. I can only think of one time I cried reading the 4th book and that is the only time I can remember the books making me sad (in all four -- just the fourth one). I won't reveal it as you and others might want to read it. If you want to know more -- call me on my cell. Brianna has my cell #.

On another note, I am glad to hear Kevin's swelling is down and there is hope to get him out of that room! I will pray for that :-)
Megan

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I am so glad that that swelling is going down. I can only imangine how much good it would be for all three of you to be together out of that room if it is only for five minutes. I am hear to tell ya Honey that everyday there is progress I am amazed more at this young mans strength. I already knew about his Moms strength. I haven't read those books so I can't tell you but I still want to know what Breezys boyfriends name is. Remember who loves ya honey Pam.

Anonymous said...

I have read all but the new twilight book. They are more of a romance. They don't get in to any grusome details at all. Its a very cute story. I hope you can read them and enjoy them. It is so nice to hear that kevin is getting better. Take care of yourself.

Misty

Jodi said...

Oh yeah, by the way, I like the new green background color!
Love ya!
Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hey Mama!

I have a couple of the parade I'll send them to Brianna thru myspace. I think Moe has some on her page too. I miss you and Breez give her my love and hugs and kisses!

Jess

The Rock said...

Hey Leslie, Kevin and Breezy !
I am stunt on Kevin's Determination !
What a guy! Sorry that you missed his movement but I know his sister was happy about it and needed to see it.
Leslie hang in there, I am pulling for you all. Hopefully you can leave for Tampa soon.
Love
Petra
Soldiers Angel
Louisiana

Kay said...

Hey honey! I have been too busy with some family issues to comment on a daily basis, but want you to know you are ALWAYS with me in my heart. I'm going out of town, but I will check back in early next week. Hang in there, friend. It sound like Kevin is making progress, and that's something. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the shunt is working well. And how amazing that he's trying to sit up! That's awesome news. I'm praying for more good things for you all!

Sue said...

Hi Leslie,
I just finished reading the twillight book. My daughter has had it for a while. He might or might not like it.But it is worth trying it. It sounds like he really enjoys your reading to him.
Good luck with everything.
Someone at work was just reading the fourth book and loving it.

Our prayers are with you
Sue