Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sept 8, 2012

So Kevin ended up in the hospital last weekend for intestinal blockage. He had another one of those 'spells' (the docs don't want to label them seizures anymore) and shortly after he was vomiting pretty badly and had extreme abdominal pain.

I thought it was best to just have him taken by ambulance as he could barely stand up so I called and off we went. We stayed until Sunday and they informed us that Kevin was dehydrated just a little so they pumped him full of fluids and his bowels let loose. No procedure needed - YAY!

I had trouble understanding how he was dehydrated though as he drinks so much water! I guess with his burns it's just not enough so he has doubled up on his intake and he pretty much quit the Mountain Dew. So far we haven't needed any suppositories all week so maybe the added water will make a difference!

So the VA really can't get us in until October. I struggle with this because to me it's just not acceptable to have someone with Kevin's injuries have to wait 2 months for appts. Maybe I'm being irrational? I just think seizures (or spells) are pretty important with Kevin's loss of brain so we have decided to just go to BAMC for all neurologicial issues. They also set the ball in motion to have the infection figured out so we went back to BAMC this week to see the nephrologist.

Nephrology informed me that Kevin has had these issues for 2 years now, but apparently I was left out of the loop. They want me to take Kev off the anti-inflammatory meds so that his kidneys can get back to working properly. I really don't know what to do as he needs the pain meds and I really don't want him back on narcotics. I feel like there's just no way to win in this situation. Is it worth getting his kidneys back into shape, but he be screaming in pain? Which is the worst issue really?

So it's been a rough week. I just can't stop crying b/c I really thought we were past all this. I thought we were in the clear and it became apparent to me that we will never really be out of the woods. I guess I should have known, but he was doing so darn well!!!


Anonymous said...

I agree, it sounded like he was doing so good! Well, maybe they could just lessen the strength of the meds for a while to see how he does? It doesn't seem like it would be good to quit them completely right now. Hopefully they can come up with something in the middle. We continue to pray for you guys!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Aunt Judy said...

Sending you love and prayers. Keep strong, I know that is easy for me to say but girl you are so very very strong. Cry it out and then if I know anything about you it is that you are able to work through the crisis and come out stronger in the end. Your a wonderful Mother and someone that we all look up too. Love ya.24