Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 1463 - May 31, 2012

Today was Kevin's Alive Day! It was 4 years ago today that he was attacked; 4 years of some honestly horrific events and 4 years of some truly amazing events.

I have to admit that I have been in a pretty funky mood the last week just knowing today was coming. Sometimes it's hard to see the good because life on a day to day basis isn't very fun, but I do know how lucky we are! I do know my son is alive and I do know how far he has come!!

This has actually been a pretty good year for us in the scope of things. Kevin is truly stable now and able to travel to some fun places. Do we still have issues when traveling - sure we do, but we aren't going to let it stop us. Kevin still gets overstimulated, but it's not like it used to be. He can go for hours now and we usually just hang out in the room the whole next day.

So to name a few places, we went to LA and met some awesome folks out there, to the Grand Canyon and Last Vegas and Kevin even went snowboarding - who would have ever thought he would do something like that? I can still hear the doctor's saying that he wasn't going to live much longer. Guess we showed them, huh? LOL.

Anyway, today was not your normal day and this day will always have good meaning as well as bad now. You ask why? Well today my daughter purchased her very first home!! It's a very nice starter home not too far from her work and Christian's daycare. She got the call late last night that she was closing at noon today. We hurried up and got all their things moved to the new house tonight and didn't get home until almost 1am. We are all beat!

That being said, I am going to sign off, but before I do - I want to ask Andrew and James to continue to rest in peace. Keep watching over both Kevin and Daniel as I know you have been and I hope your families found some comfort today somewhere. Forever in our hearts!

5 comments:

karen said...

I think of you guys here and there, and am glad to hear that things are okay, if not perfect. Wow! Snowboarding!!!! That's like the next best thing to skateboarding, congratulations to Kevin.

And also Congrats to Breezy and her family. Making a house purchase is very exciting ... whew ... growing up. =) Take care. All the best to your family.

Anonymous said...

I finally got up enough "strength" to read the blog today.

It has been a long 4 years, that's for sure. But the Shields' family is so happy that Kevin and Daniel are continuing to improve and live life the best they can!! We are so proud of their accomplishments and success. I know it's been beyond a tough 4 years, but you are an amazing family with strength beyond imagination!! All 3 of you are our hero's and such inspiration to us all!!!!!! We love you so much, and cannot wait to meet all of you someday.

You've had an amazing year with the travels and adventures, and I am so happy that Kevin can do those things. It puts a smile on my face and absolutely warms my heart to see all the good things happening for him!!!!!!!! Happy Tears!!! ;-)

And congrats to Breezy and Christian!! It is exciting to get a home, and I know she will love it!!

Love you guys Les!!!

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

GrannieEv said...

Had to check in to see how things were going... awesome 4 years, just absolutely awesome even with all the horrible things! So happy for Breezy, what a milestone. And hats off to you, as always, Leslie.

(The other) Leslie said...

4 years!! Wow! You guys are awesome!! Thank You for Your Service!! {{{Hugs}}}

laser tattoo removal pittsburgh said...



Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts, which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects. Please continue to write more because it’s unusual that someone has something interesting to say about this. Will be waiting for more!