Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 1384 - Mar 12, 2012

I am so sorry that I didn't post last night and in reality - that I haven't even posted the rest of the photos from our trip to LA.  Here are some photos of us on a bus tour called 'A Day in LA'.  It was awesome and you should definitely go on this tour if you ever make it out there!

First, here is the bus we were on, lol!


And here is a photo of the beach in Santa Monica.  Sadly, we never actually got to touch the water, but we are going to make sure we do the next time.  I just didn't know how to get Kevin to the water with his wheelchair.  Even if he walked, it would have been very difficult to push his chair over the sand so we never even tried.


From Santa Monica we went on to Venice Beach, which was so where I could envision Kevin living if things didn't happen the way they did.  Here is a photo of Kevin watching the skaters at a skate park on the beach.


And here is a candid shot of Kevin with a very sad look on his face while watching the skaters.  To the normal eye it may appear that he is angry, but it's just the burns making his lip snarl upward and his droopy eye.  If you put your hand over the right side of the photo,  you can see the sadness in his left eye. It was kinda heartbreaking to see the longing, but we didn't let it get us down for long.


And this is the Whitney Houston memorial outside of the hotel where she died.


And here we have Rodeo Drive.  Obviously Kevin and I didn't even bother stepping into any stores, lol.


But I do have to tell you about this 3 million dollar car!  Don't ask me to remember what it's called, but if I remember correctly there are only 10 in the world.  Kevin reached down to pretend that he was going to open the door and I snapped a pic.  The owner came running out of his shoppe though (which has a price tag of $2500 just to set up an appt), but quickly stopped when he realized Kevin wasn't really touching it. It was hilarious.



Next we headed to Griffith's Observatory to view the legendary Hollywood sign.




And from there we drove down the mountain to the Walk of Fame.  We didn't have enough time to really look for some of the stars we would have liked to see, but next time.





From here we would normally have been dropped back off at our hotel, but we opted to go back to the Santa Monica Pier.  I got a very dark shot of the sunset.


And here is one of the fun at the pier.


And to end a most wonderful day, we had a fluke trip in a limo, lol.  I don't know how many of you have ever been to the SM Pier, but it's down this massively steep bridge.  Of course I wasn't worried about us going down in his wheelchair (although Kevin would love it if I would just let him go and he could race 70 mph down the hill), but I admit I was worried about getting back up the hill.  Kevin weighs over 200 pounds and there was no way I was going to be able to push him back up.

So anyway, as we were leaving this couple got out of a limo.  I pushed Kevin over and kindly asked the driver to take us to the top of the hill.  He said he was free until midnight so he very nicely took us all the way back to our hotel - about 40 minutes!  Kevin was ecstatic and was uploading pics to Facebook while still in the car.



What a truly awesome day.  What a truly awesome trip.  Thanks again to all that made it possible!  You can all see what a wonderful time that Kevin had and it made this momma happy!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

WOW great pictures, great trip, and there are some awesome people out there in the world. Love the idea of the guy come running out of the shop haha. Good going Kevin got his "rich" blood pressure up for the day. Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Excellent pictures! The one of you and Kevin by the Hollywood sign would be nice enlarged! It makes me so happy to see both of you smiling so much! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! :)
Take care,
Kathy in IA

AdayinLA Tours said...

It was an honor and a pleasure having you on the tour! We are so glad that you enjoyed it. Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of your time in LA as well. Thanks for sharing your experience and posting your photos ... we'll be following the rest of your travels too!

- The ADayinLA Tours crew
www.adayinlatours.com

kali said...

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments about your day in la tour. I am Kimeko and I was your tour guide that day. Kevin was a pleasure to have on the bus! I though I had a good sense of humor, but this young man had me laughing the entire tour. He really made my day! I'm so glad I had the pleasure of meeting two such wonderful people.